No announcement yet.

Trailer talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The backend mag drag In some situations,but if you're loading a car it helps prevent high centering.
    67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
    69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
    69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
    79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
    67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

Lots OF good points here About axle ratings and trailer weights. Since mine is a brand new one that I won for only 240$, it’s not going anywhere. I will upgrade the axles when the time comes .

and since I do plan to get back into street cars, etc...the beavertail is better suited for me, even if it’s sketchy to get into a spot or two.

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
        Whats the concensus about a beavertail.
        I would think it would be a lot easier to load/unload, but sometimes what I think may be a good idea isnt.
        I really like mine. When loading and unloading the Bronco, I don't have to use the ramps. But then I have the ramps when I need them to load a car. Especially a lowered car or a car with flat tires. It's really nice to have the dove tail/beaver tail to have a better break over angle so the bottom of the car doesn't drag.

Comment

I would say if your buying used it doesnt matter. Finding a good 10k trailer will be hard enough. The dove tail will make it easier to load cars.

Comment

I started out with a 7K 16 foot metal deck trailer with beaver tail that I straightened into a non-beaver trail. I then switched to a 12K (registered as 10K) wood deck equipment trailer with beaver tail, that I also de-beaver tailed. So I have had 4 kinds??? Here are my thoughts:
            • Weight rating - 7K is probably fine for a bronco and they are generally lighter, tow better, are narrower, have cheaper tires, etc. 10K will give you more flexibility and you can haul larger things like full sized trucks, tractors, and excavators etc. I did have trouble with the bearings on my 7K. In CA the limit for a class C drivers license is 10K.
            • Trailer length - 16 is fine for most cars, they can hang over a little which is not a huge issue. I switched to 18 foot to fit a Kubota L48 backhoe. Again the longer they are the harder it is to find a parking spot at Home Depot.
            • Trailer width - My first trailer was about 70 inches wide between the fenders, once I put 13" IROKs on my bronco wouldn't fit. When I tried to haul a Tundra it wouldn't fit at all. Wider is better (but they take up more space on the road, you have to pay more attention when towing)
            • Beaver tail - I understand why people like them for low cars, but it seems to me you are paying for trailer deck that is really just a ramp extension. For a bronco they aren't needed and they make using the trailer for other things (lumber, firewood, sod, furniture, etc) a real PITA. If needed, you can always drive the rear tires of the truck up on some blocks to get the back of the trailer down.
            • Metal vs wood deck - Metal is durable, and lower (1/8" thick vs 1.5" thick) but hot, slick, dents, and loud. Wood will have to be replaced after a while. I personally like metal better but they are hard to find used.
            Final thought - Texas rollback trailers sure look cool!
            Last edited by pippinmader; 01-11-2021, 01:21 PM.
            Build thread

Comment

Working...
            X