Trailer talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer talk

After the years and years of driving my bronco from trail to trail, I'm wanting a trailer for the bronco.

7k vs 10k
    Wood deck vs metal deck
    length
    Brakes

What did you learn about what you liked an hated.

I don't need a monster trailer that can haul a d11 dozer across the country. Just the bronco and maybe lumber
    {o===o}
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
    Originally posted by CityHick
    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Mines a 16 or 18’ with beavertail, wood deck, dual 3500 axles, brakes all around. I am sure more than enough for our trucks yet good for me if I get back into cars one day.

Comment

If you can swing it, I would look for a gooseneck trailer. They pull really nice

Comment

Same as Phanton (16'). The 10k trailers get heavy and are more than needed for a built bronco.
        67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
        69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
        69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
        79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
        67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

Originally posted by 69crawler View Post
          Same as Phanton (16'). The 10k trailers get heavy and are more than needed for a built bronco.
          10k seems like a trailer for equipment.

I kicking myself for not buying one last year. The price has gone up a whole lot this year.
          {o===o}
          EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....

Comment

I have 20’ PJ 10k Buggyhauler, wood deck, drive over fenders. and brakes on both axles. It’s long but definitely useful when I have towed equipment.

Comment

Keep in mind a trailers rated weight includes the weight of the trailer itself. My 18’ 10K trailer weighed 3200lbs empty. So my max load could be 6800lbs. My Bronco was 5500, so everything was fine but I’d be right at the max weight for a 7K. As for wood vs. diamond plate, it’s personal preference. Steel is probably heavier. Wood wears out and rots but it also offers more grip when wet than steel. I applied linseed oil to my wood deck when new, it seemed to help it last better.
              SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

X2 on what ^ said. If you get a 7K lb. trailer, by the time you factor in the weight of the trailer itself, it will barely be adequate to haul your Bronco empty. If you have it full of fuel, camping gear, tools, spare parts, you'll be overloaded. I started with a 7K lb. trailer and after letting a friend borrow it to haul his Bronco, it came back to me with both axles bent so badly I had to replace them. I replaced them two 5K lb. torsion axles with brakes on both axles and 8 lug rims. I have had zero issues with it sense then. Other than the wood deck rotting off of it. So I took all of the wood off and replaced it with a steel floor plate deck and now it's bullet proof. I wish I had just started with this in the first place. Mine is a 20 foot with dovetail.

Comment

X2. I would not buy a 7k trailer unless money was the issue. 10k with dual trailer brakes is way better. I started with a 7k and switched to a 10k.

Comment

10kall the way no problems with small tires and small wheel bearings, I have 110,000 on my trailer dedicated to my bronco and have 3 sets of tires and 1 set of brakes. Never replaced the wheel bearing only repacked. everybody i know with a 7k trailer have to replace bearings every other year and some times on the road. have seen many 7k axles replaced also (we wheal coast to coast) Just my observation and I toe alot of trailers.

Comment

Great info Ryan...

I will just add that I have an 18' Sloan roll back trailer, rated at 7,500 lbs. It has been a great trailer for towing the track car(s). Done a few Broncos, but nothing over a 31 x x10.50 tire. You definately know when the Bronco is behind you. I stay up on the servicing, it sits a lot, outside between uses. I carry two spares after bad experiences with America's tire cheap trailer tires. And I stopped loaning it out as I have not been impressed with people borrowing it who were supposed to be knowledgable...
                      I was in the right place at the right time when someone lost their storage place. $1,500.00 for a 3 year old trailer with tie down straps was one of the best deals I have gotten.
                      2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                      1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                      2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

I borrowed another member's trailer to haul my rig to Oregon and back a couple of years ago. It is a homebuilt trailer with dual 8 lug axles, and it towed like a dream. The biggest thing I learned during that trip is that weight distributing hitches are freaking awesome. My F150 pulled that so well, and aside from the excess fuel consumption it was such an easy trip aside from a couple of tires blowing out.

I have been casually looking for a 10k trailer for a while, slept on one good one for a little too long and lost it. Someday...
                        1970 Bronco
                        My build thread

Comment

Sounding like a 10k will be worth it in the long run.

Just need something that will fit on the side of the garage.
                          {o===o}

Comment

I bought a 7k Snake River car trailer about 3 years ago. I went with a flat deck instead of a beavertail. I've used it for the Bronco, Misc broken down cars and even made wood sides for it to carry rock and dirt for the house. I even brought home a Mini escavator and a smaller bobcat last year from Ahern Rentals but it was WAY overloaded for that. I wasn't driving far so it didn't bother me.

Now looking back, I wish I had just gone with a 10k trailer. I talked to Snake River about it and the major difference is the axles, the rest of the trailer is nearly identical to their 10k trailer so I will be upgrading them this summer. Although. I have yet to bend an axle on this one.

I've had both wood and metal decks in the past. I prefer the wood decks. If you treat them annually they will last pretty well. The metal deck trailers get HOT in the summer months. And I hated laying on the hot deck of the trailer to put straps on the Bronco.

Other things I've learned with Trailers

Get a cheap winch for it
                            Carry 2 spares - WORTH IT
                            Get some good ratchet straps and axle straps for hauling
                            1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Comment

Whats the concensus about a beavertail.
                              I would think it would be a lot easier to load/unload, but sometimes what I think may be a good idea isnt.
                              {o===o}

Comment

Working...
                              X