Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'd like to start a thoughtful thread on CCW and everything attached

Originally posted by 70 Steed View Post
    A couple of people have mentioned carrying in their cars. It is illegal to carry in your console even if you have a CCW. The only legal way to carry in your car is in a locked trunk which can't be accessed from inside the vehicle or in a locked container with the gun unloaded.
    So I couldn't carry on person while in the car?
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel View Post
      So I couldn't carry on person while in the car?
      Sorry I didn't make that clear. Yes you can carry on person in the car with a CCW.

Comment

Don't be afraid of carrying a gun, be informed and be aware.

I had my ccw in Calaveras and my Fresno appointment is in March. Your on the right track if you think taking a simple CCW class isn't enough. The CCW class basically covers the legality of carrying a gun. Train like you fight...... that the general motto of every military worth it's salt. To a civilian carrying everyday, this means training for when things go wrong. Don't just go to the range and practice putting tight groups on paper, train to put 1 round on target as fast and safe as possible. You can of course go to a big west coast training school, Front Sight, Thunder Ranch etc. Odds are there are defensive pistol courses in Bakersfield, you don't need to travel all over the country and spend thousands of dollars when gun fighting isn't your job.

If you want to go into anything in depth don't hesitate to give me a call. I'm not on here much anymore.
        72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

sorry this was in response to 70 Steed's post on carrying in your car with a CCW

This is an untrue statement. IF you are a CCW holder, the weapon can be anywhere in the vehicle except in plain sight (conceled) . It is not legal to leave it in your console as a console is not deemed a locked compartment even though it has a lock on it.You can be in the vehicle with your gun in the console loaded with a CCW. If you leave it in your vehicle then it should be in a locked container attached to the vehicle aka a box cabled under the seat or bolted to the floor and it can be loaded.
          Last edited by TBS-POPS; 01-13-2016, 09:08 AM.
          72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
          BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
          RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Mary and I have been CCW holders for three years now and AGREED that training is of the utmost importance!!! The CCW courses to obtain the license is only the first step in the many hours of training needed to be realistically prepared and even then you may not be. TRAIN, train, train is different than shoot, shoot, shoot but id does help!!! Always in your head is to AVOID the deadly confrontation UNLESS the threat is directly at YOU AND YOURS. As mentioned before, be prepared for the fallout that will result IF you use your weapon as you WILL go to jail, you WILL be prosecuted and it WILL cost you a ton of money!!CCW is not a free pass to play new sheriff in town.
            72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

Comment

I just got called at noon from the sheriff, I got approved but I still need to take the safety class. It took 11months.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockbronco67 View Post
                I just got called at noon from the sheriff, I got approved but I still need to take the safety class. It took 11months.
                Good for you Matt!!! Damn they take their sweet ass time in SJ county. I think it was about 45 days start to finish here in the wild wild west of calaveras county!!!!

Comment

I'll chime in just a bit.
                  I am a retired LEO. I have a retired ID that I have to renew every 5 years with a qualified examiner to carry in Kalifornistan. As long as I qualify every 12 months I can carry in the majority of states per HR 219.
                  I carry every day, every time I leave the house. It's for my (& wife's) protection because I live in the community I retired from. My cases have sent some very bad people to prison. They get out and they always remember you.
                  I can make this too long so I will keep it short.
                  ASIDE from the marksmanship training, practicing, civil liabilities, practicing, learning how & when to carry, practicing, you have to be mentally prepared.
                  Mentally prepared to know when the right time is to even draw your weapon, and prepared ahead of time to know which scenario you will pull the trigger and possibly end someone's life.
                  You should not utilize your CCW rights until you are 100% positive you are mentally prepared to pull the trigger. You have to know, KNOW, when you may pull the trigger. You have to CONFIDENT you can make the decision, without hesitation, be confident in your abilities through training & practice, with NO doubt about your abilities to hit what you are aiming at.
                  UNTIL you are prepared mentally, leave your weapon in your safe. Do not store it in your car where it can easily be stolen in an auto burglary. There may be times where you have to store it in your car for a brief amount of time (like going into your doctors office or prohibited buildings). Then you need to know how to store it safely, concealed separate from the ammunition in case it is stolen.
                  When I worked patrol I was mentally prepared to take a life with my weapon, my baton, a brick on the street, a pocket knife or a pair of fingernail clippers before I even finished putting on my uniform. Even if I had to take a life with my bare hands I knew I could do it, and how I would do it.
                  When I was responding to dispatched calls I was mentally going through scenarios in my mind before I arrived on scene. I built on that mental attitude through years of experience and responding to thousands of calls. Most people don't have that advantage with their CCW, but they need to put a lot of thought into it.
                  If the time comes you have to use your weapon you need the confident attitude of, "Ye tho I wander through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil; For I am the meanest sumbitch in the valley."
                  The older I get I realize I am no longer the fastest, or strongest any longer. While there may be someone that can best me, they are going to know they were in a fight.
                  In regards to practicing. Practice at all times of the day. Practice when you are hungry, sleep deprived, in the dark or in the rain. Bad things never happen when you have had a good nights sleep, just finished a fine meal, and in the daylight.
                  IronHide: '69 U15 - 408W Stroker, FiTech EFI Dyno'ed 425 hp/ 500 Tq - NP435, Twin Stick D20 w/ AA output shaft, D44 & F 9" w/ ARB's front & rear, 4:88's, 31 Splines, 3" BL / 2" SL, TrailReady BL's on siped Toyo 35's, WH Wrap Trap, BCB Top, Warn Zeon 10, ProtoFabs

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS View Post
                    sorry this was in response to 70 Steed's post on carrying in your car with a CCW

This is an untrue statement. IF you are a CCW holder, the weapon can be anywhere in the vehicle except in plain sight (conceled) . It is not legal to leave it in your console as a console is not deemed a locked compartment even though it has a lock on it.You can be in the vehicle with your gun in the console loaded with a CCW. If you leave it in your vehicle then it should be in a locked container attached to the vehicle aka a box cabled under the seat or bolted to the floor and it can be loaded.
                    Upon further review it appears that Jeff is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by WARDOG View Post
                      I'll chime in just a bit.
                      I am a retired LEO. I have a retired ID that I have to renew every 5 years with a qualified examiner to carry in Kalifornistan. As long as I qualify every 12 months I can carry in the majority of states per HR 219.
                      I carry every day, every time I leave the house. It's for my (& wife's) protection because I live in the community I retired from. My cases have sent some very bad people to prison. They get out and they always remember you.
                      I can make this too long so I will keep it short.
                      ASIDE from the marksmanship training, practicing, civil liabilities, practicing, learning how & when to carry, practicing, you have to be mentally prepared.
                      Mentally prepared to know when the right time is to even draw your weapon, and prepared ahead of time to know which scenario you will pull the trigger and possibly end someone's life.
                      You should not utilize your CCW rights until you are 100% positive you are mentally prepared to pull the trigger. You have to know, KNOW, when you may pull the trigger. You have to CONFIDENT you can make the decision, without hesitation, be confident in your abilities through training & practice, with NO doubt about your abilities to hit what you are aiming at.
                      UNTIL you are prepared mentally, leave your weapon in your safe. Do not store it in your car where it can easily be stolen in an auto burglary. There may be times where you have to store it in your car for a brief amount of time (like going into your doctors office or prohibited buildings). Then you need to know how to store it safely, concealed separate from the ammunition in case it is stolen.
                      When I worked patrol I was mentally prepared to take a life with my weapon, my baton, a brick on the street, a pocket knife or a pair of fingernail clippers before I even finished putting on my uniform. Even if I had to take a life with my bare hands I knew I could do it, and how I would do it.
                      When I was responding to dispatched calls I was mentally going through scenarios in my mind before I arrived on scene. I built on that mental attitude through years of experience and responding to thousands of calls. Most people don't have that advantage with their CCW, but they need to put a lot of thought into it.
                      If the time comes you have to use your weapon you need the confident attitude of, "Ye tho I wander through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil; For I am the meanest sumbitch in the valley."
                      The older I get I realize I am no longer the fastest, or strongest any longer. While there may be someone that can best me, they are going to know they were in a fight.
                      In regards to practicing. Practice at all times of the day. Practice when you are hungry, sleep deprived, in the dark or in the rain. Bad things never happen when you have had a good nights sleep, just finished a fine meal, and in the daylight.
                      words to live by

Comment

Working...
                      X