I'd like to start a thoughtful thread on CCW and everything attached

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd like to start a thoughtful thread on CCW and everything attached

I've been thinking about getting my CCW for many years. For many reasons, I have always talked myself out of it. In the wake of Paris and San Bernardino and others I think it's time I go though the mental preparation I need to follow though. I know myself...I get nervous in the wake of a disastrous situation and don't always think clearly and with the proper emotion.

For instance, I woke up at 2 am hearing my dog (border collie) crying and whaling. I looked out the window and saw the two next door pit bulls circling her biting her face chest and belly. I went and got my 1911 and went out there half asleep. My gun , always locked and loaded was ready...but I wasn't. I shoot this thing all the time....accurately! But in the emergency situation I wasn't thinking clearly. Instead of clicking the safety down I pushed the release and dropped the magazine on the ground. Not realizing I still had the round in the chamber I got the magazine reloaded and cocked the gun ejecting the round and pointed to aim. By then the dogs had begin to run and I shot several towards them missing all.

This taught me a very good lesson on my family's safety. I need more training and need to run multiple scenarios to get practice. A close officer friend of mine talked me of the ledge and said all I needed was muscle memory. He said when the shit hits the fan your body takes over and mine didn't know what to do due to lack of situational practice.

So giving this incident, it's further increased my worries of holding a CCW. It's a massive responsibly that I do not take lightly.

So I'd like to know from those with experience, what's the best path going forward to be a skilled, emotionally sound, and responsible CCW holder ready to protect family, co-workers, strangers etc. if the situation would arise? I don't think some shooting classes, a test, and a letter to the sheriff is enough, for me anyway.

I'm not interested in a gun debate, a CCW debate, etc. This is simply for us that agree it's needed to protect us from our hidden enemies.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Re: I'd like to start a thoughtful thread on CCW and everything attached

I should be getting called in the next 2 to 3 months. It takes a year in my county. I have the same worries and concerns as you. Just because you have a ccw doesn't mean you have to carry. I personally think I will be keeping mine in my car and when I feel like I need to carry, I will carry. I understand the point of carrying but I'm with you on waiting to feel extremely comfortable.
    Last edited by Rockbronco67; 12-18-2015, 11:51 AM.

Comment

How does the license work? It's only good for the county your in? Multiple counties ? I've thought about this too ,even more so recently. Now in a movie theater or crowded areas, I'm constantly looking over my shoulder, scanning people. The more shooting you do the more comfortable you will become with the mechanics of the gun. Repetition. As far as becoming emotionally sound, I have nothing for you.
      67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
      69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
      69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
      79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
      67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

I am interested in taking classes on CCW and self defense (gun and otherwise) in general - I have been for a while. I don't know that I'll ever actually carry, but learning some defense skills is never a bad thing. So while I don't have anything to add to this conversation; I am interested in hearing about some first hand experience with the classes that are available.
        Like you Carl, I question whether or not I am mentally ready for situations like that. For that reason, I rarely actually load my firearms unless I am at a range, out in the woods, etc... intending to shoot.

For that matter, my trigger finger has a funny itch lately. Need to go scratch it, soon.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

If you have a valid CA permit, you can carry anywhere in CA. Those of you in free counties, you should exercise your 2nd amendment right's. I can carry in almost every State in the country, but our Sheriff denies our right's.
          Last edited by cag33; 12-18-2015, 05:09 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Sheriff Livingston can SUCK it !

Comment

I've used several different instructors for renewals over the years and John at Best Handgun Training in Lincoln Ca was by far the most informative. Most of the classes I've attended focus on making you aware of the responsibilities of having a CCW, and the life changing repercussions of any type of incident. You are signing up for a lot of legal and civil liability that you wouldn't necessarily have without being licensed, simply because the training required to get and maintain the permit removes any "I didn't know" defense the general public may be able to get away with. I'm from a right to carry state originally, so carrying was something I was familiar with, but it seemed much easier to work on situational awareness skills when I was younger and life was simple enough that I could be at the range on a weekly basis. It's a hassle to get and maintain, but in today's world I think the more good citizens that are armed, the better. From my personal experience, CCW training has definitely brought the liability/responsibility aspect to the forefront and has tempered any thoughts of carrying a weapon for anything other than protecting myself and family from immediate, life threatening personal danger, which is a good thing.
              Last edited by DoubleXL; 12-21-2015, 07:18 AM.
              '75 Bronco in the works..
              '69/2012 FJ40 with some stuff.

Comment

Carl, I would recommend taking the four day Defensive Handgun training course through Front Sight in Parahump Nevada. You can find certificates to immediately follow that class with a one day CCW class (also at Front Sight) to allow you to carry in something like 38 states...except Kalifornia of course.
                This is an awesome prepatory course for any training you will need to take in this state.
                You will spend 5 days and shoot about 700 rounds while learning how to clear all types of weapon malfunctions and properly do magazine changes with your handgun. I highly recommend it.
                We are planning another trip there next year so if you want we can coordinate the trip.
                Last edited by Spaceburger; 12-19-2015, 07:34 AM.
                Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

My wife and I have had our CCW for about 1 1/2 years. Ironically when I lived in Alameda County and was a Mac Tools Distributor and really needed a CCW I couldn't get one because Alameda County pretty much doesn't issue them.

CCW is a state law that is administered by city police chiefs and/or County Sheriffs. Each Issuing Authority (IA) can make their own rules for obtaining a CCW. In the Bay Area and LA area you can pretty much forget about obtaining a CCW. In the rural counties it is much easier to get a CCW. As someone said above once you get your CCW from your IA it's valid in all counties. There are restrictions. For example you can't carry in federal government buildings, post office, etc. You can't carry if you have been drinking alcohol.

Each IA also makes their own qualifications to obtain a CCW. Most if not all make you take a class which includes classroom and marksmanship. In my county the class is 8 hours and you shoot 50 rounds with your carry guns at various distances. You have to score 35 out of 50 to pass. Most IA's allow up to 3 guns on your permit, some allow more.

As to Carl's question about being mentally prepared to carry and possibly have to use you gun to protect you yourself or your family, it's an individual decision. I carry almost every day. My wife rarely carries. Fortunately there is a very slim chance you will ever have to use your weapon. When you first start carrying you feel that you stand out, like everyone knows you are carrying. After a while it feels natural.

I recommend doing a lot more training/practicing than just what's required by your IA. I do more than most but still feel that I need to do more.

If you're not familiar with it, there is a great website for lots more info. It's:

CalGuns.net

It's geared toward California Gun owners. It has a CCW forum. There is a lot of great info there including info on California's complex (and stupid) gun laws.

Comment

As a law enforcement officer I always caution people that want to carry a gun with them for protection. Yes it is a valid right and you can do what you want, but be prepared to use it and for the fallout. Every bullet has the potential to kill another unintended person. Even if you kill your target there is the civil suit, news media, etc. Learn to be a good witness during crimes and obtain license plates. Many officers carry their guns bit will only use them if their life or their families lives are at danger, or heaven for bile a mass shooting.
                    1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceburger View Post
                      Carl, I would recommend taking the four day Defensive Handgun training course through Front Sight in Parahump Nevada. You can find certificates to immediately follow that class with a one day CCW class (also at Front Sight) to allow you to carry in something like 38 states...except Kalifornia of course.
                      Front Sight was also recommended to all of us here at WH. Everyone we know that has been through their training was very happy with the results.

Jim
                      www.wildhorses4x4.com

Comment

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses and suggestions. I know the odds are very minute that I'd need a CCW protection, but the odds are rising every day and have little chance of stopping.

It is true, I do not have to carry on person. I could simply have in my center console in case.

Jperry, what you wrote is my fear and a valid one no matter where. I think of this even in my house. This is why my loaded guns that are ready to fire here in the house have very high quality hollow points to minimize going through walls and people for that matter.

I have a lot of LE friends and almost every one of them counseled against a CCW for this reason and even more. My wife also works very closely with the BPD at the Captain-Chief level and they have the same opinion for the most part but for differing reasons. The AC told her flat out that she wouldn't use her pistol when in trouble, the guy attacking her would be using it after he took it from her. They as a whole simply aren't comfortable with other's carrying that aren't prepared to be doing so and even then they are apprehensive.

I guess my thoughts are I will not carry unless i am very confident in doing so. I will however, get my CCW for the basic storage and protection reasons. Will I ever have my 380 in my back pocket on a regular basis...who knows at this point. We all know what happened to George Zimmerman when he closed out Travon Martin. Whether a good shot or not, there's no running from this after the fact.
                        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Side note for when I took my Canadian course to legally acquire fire arms of most sorts.

Guy in my class during target practice kept shooting at the legs that held up the target..... Teacher goes damn his aim sucks! Guy turns around and goes why? I aim for the knees. Why go to jail for life for killing a person, when you can make him suffer by hobbling around for the rest of his life!

Food for thought!

Comment

A couple of people have mentioned carrying in their cars. It is illegal to carry in your console even if you have a CCW. The only legal way to carry in your car is in a locked trunk which can't be accessed from inside the vehicle or in a locked container with the gun unloaded.

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomEB View Post
                              Side note for when I took my Canadian course to legally acquire fire arms of most sorts.

Guy in my class during target practice kept shooting at the legs that held up the target..... Teacher goes damn his aim sucks! Guy turns around and goes why? I aim for the knees. Why go to jail for life for killing a person, when you can make him suffer by hobbling around for the rest of his life!

Food for thought!
                              This won't end well if the bad guy is shooting at you. No trainer will teach you to shoot to wound. They will train you to shoot to neutralize the threat and to keep shooting until the threat is neutralized.

Don't mis-interpret anything I'm about to say as cop bashing. I fully support the police. They have an incredibly difficult job especially in this day in age. A lot of LEO will advise against civilians having a CCW. Ask them if they carry while off duty, most do. Ask them why the carry while off duty. It will most likely be the same reason most civilians have their CCW. A lot of people will say the police are better trained than the average CCW holder. While each department's training requirements vary, a lot are only required to qualify with their duty weapon twice a year. Most CCW holders are gun enthusiasts and they practice much more often, as many as several times a month. Remember the saying when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Jperry makes a very good point. In the unlikely event that a CCW holder ever has to use his/her weapon to defend themselves, the results can be devastating both emotionally and financially. You may wind up in court defending yourself against criminal charges. You most likely will wind up in court defending yourself against civil charges from the bad guy or his/her family. There are law firms that specialize in defending CCW holders against criminal and civil charges. They can be put on retainer for a relatively small monthly charge. They will be there for you 24/7. Also it's possible to buy insurance to help mitigate the cost of defending yourself in a criminal or civil suit.

Comment

Working...
                              X