Bad Experience with Local Vendor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Experience with Local Vendor.

I usually don't like to bash vendors, but I thought you all might be interested in this.

Recently I bought a set of rear axles from mtnbronco. I brought them home had new bearings put on them. Bought the bearings at NAPA and had them put on at Specialized 4x4. Great price on the labor, but they are located on the other side of the city from me. I looked into having S&H do it because they are much closer, but $30 bucks an axle seemed a bit much.

Well when I got the spare axles home there were some questions of correct lengths. So I decided to pull the primary axles out and verify. When I pulled the first one out the bearing was cracked and the second one the seal on the bearing was bad. Being a Saturday, and getting closer to my trip a wanted to get this taking care of quickly. S&H was open, and even though I knew they would be more expensive, I took them in because it would be much easier for me to pick them up after work in that part of town.

The price at S&H for pressing on these bearings had now become $60 an axle.
    And since they did not have the bearings in stock would call me Monday with the full price. So in the interest of convenience, and they do have a reputation for doing good work, I left them there to be done.

Monday rolls around and here's where the fun begins. Part-way through my workday I decided to call because I had not heard from the shop. When I get through I was imedietly jumped on for not promptly returning a call and message that morning from the shop, which I never got. I was then told the cost for the work would be $280. Because the bearings were $100 each. With tax would put the cost over $300. A set of new axles with bearings and retainers from WH is almost that much.

I told him this must be wrong because I just bought bearings for the same application at a fraction of that price. I was told " That we only use good parts, and the price of steel has doubled, that you could thank President Bush for that, and that there are cheaper bearings if you want to use Chinese or Tawanise steel, but not at his shop.That $100 was Jobber price on those and I was getting a good deal. And that I needed to make my decision quickly because he was very busy."
    (Timkin Bearings by the way)

Will I told him No Thank You, I picked up my axles that day after work and drove them across the city to Specilized 4x4 and once again dropped them off. The next day I picked them with the SAME "$100 bearings" installed for 1/3 of what S&H wanted. The bearings weren't $100 by the way.

I don't mind the fact that S&H may charge a little more, but I feel in this case was ridicules. But the flat out LIES and dishonesty by that business were unacceptable and I will never spend a single cent in that shop again.

I will however continue patronage Specialized 4x4.
    It's so hard to find a good mechanic these days.

A side note: I got to watch one set being done so I will be buying a press and pressing my own bearings next time.

When I had my bearings done at Specialized it took a total of 5 min.. Russ did mine and let me watch also.. Its all about having the right equiptment.. I will be going back myself..
    Aaron
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Wow....what a story. I have never used S&H, but I have used Specialized in the past and have never had a problem with them.

You're right on buying a press. The last time I did my ball joints will be the last time I pay some one to do it. I also will be buying a press for my future needs. After a couple jobs it would start to pay for itself.

Comment

My cost on those bearings is 25 bucks..for Timkin. Is S&H a machine shop or an offroad shop? I understand the pricing on "Parts" we use to double the price on bearing, seals, brake parts etc. SO at the MOST, 50 bucks + 25 to install them if no bearings were on there to begin with, and 45 if there were. So at the WORST, 190 bucks. No deals no specials.
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

S&H is an offroad shop down in Sac.

Comment

Just a note for everybody....if you have a freezer in your garage, freeze the axles overnight and then heat up the bearing retaining ring HOT. It will slide right on...
            “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel
              Just a note for everybody....if you have a freezer in your garage, freeze the axles overnight and then heat up the bearing retaining ring HOT. It will slide right on...

This is the same way I do balljoints. I freeze the balljoint, and heat the knuckle with a propane torch. The balljoints just fall right in. Makes the job pretty easy.
              Marc D.
              If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I have never thought of this with the ball joints.....

I do have a ball joint press, but it is still a PITA...

Comment

sorry to hear the how these shops dick everyone around with their min charges and stuff.. I use to press the bearing on in about 10 min and we charged $20. It was funny because i worked in parts warehouse and the shops would send us the axles to match up the bearings and then ask for us to press them on..

If you get a press get the foot control option it makes life easy when working with the jigs
                  70 Bronco with extras; 351W TBI,C-4, D20, HP44 locked w/ 4.56, locked 9" w/31spline, 35 tires, pb 4w-disc, on a 5.5 lift with WAH and Rockers.

Comment

I have not used S&H in a long time, but when I was building my bronco, Nick was more than fair with me and I do agree that they only use Timkin bearing and other quality parts. However, if I'm not mistaking, Nick is not working the shop anymore, and I don't know if he even owns the business anymore. I know when Jason took over the counter and Nick was getter harder to get a hold of, I stopped going in there. The customer service and "Fair" pricing went out the window. Nick used to be the go to guy if you needed any odd ball part. If he didn't have it in stock, he would find it for you that day.

I'm sorry to hear that things have gotten that bad over there
                    They used to be one of the best shops in town.
                    70 Bronco, 5.0, ARB front 44, Detroit 9in Rear, Dana 20 w/ Rock Eaters, NP435, Beadlocked 36X13.5 IROXS

2001 F-250, triple gauges, ATO Tranny, 35 SST's, line-x, bully dogged!

Comment

Working...
                    X