Cal ohv in trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cal ohv in trouble

This is the State Assembly Budget Committee's answer to Gov. Brown's mandate to cut 60 million dollars from the State Park Budget. The Budget Committee has proposed a $38 million cut from the 279 CA State Park System as follows: $11 million from the 270 State Parks and $28 million from the 9 OHV parks. That amounts to $40,470 from each of the 270 State Parks and $3,111,111.00 from each of the 9 OHV Parks. Yes, that sounds very equitable to me also. Who elects these guys?

People, this directly affects our sport and the use of public lands as was guaranteed by law passed over 40 years ago which set up the OHV parks. Over the past ten years, use of the State Parks has declined by nearly 20% while in contrast, use of State OHV Parks has increased more than 150% in that same time period as more and more young families get into the Off Highway Recreation sport.

And that's not all. If Governor Brown gets his way, he'd take an additional $21 million out the OHV Parks. But, even without that, the Assembly Budget Committee's OHV Park reduction of $28 million will gut the program and most, if not all OHV Parks will close.

I'm not saying that California does not need to get it's spending in line and start cutting expenses (budgets) but let's be fair about it and not have the Off Road Community bear the entire blunt of the cuts. If $39 million needs to be cut from the Park System, cut it equally from all 279 State Parks.

We all can sit around lamenting the situation or we can phone and write the Assembly members sitting on the Budget Committee as well as our own Assembly persons. I hope you all will choose the former make the call or write the email. The names and addresses are included below. Please read the whole email sent by SDORC and the talking points found below. And, please act now
    Dana 44 w/ ox locker, yukon axles, T-bird disc brakes. TBI 351 W, Saginaw p.s. & rock ram steering assist and F150 steering gear box. Manual dual chamber master cylinder. AOD with supercoupe 1st & 2nd gear. The t-case(S) are a 203/205 combo. Rear diff 5.13 detroit locked tru hi 9" with 35 spline axles in a big bearing housing. Suspension is a 5.5" lift with a one inch body lift. Inside two radios are CB and Ham radio (KI6CYF).

Re: Cal ohv in trouble

I just got an email like that from carnegieforever.org. Pisses me off that a totally self-sufficient state agency that has never pulled money from the general fund, can get robbed like this. I guess there's no reward for efficiency in government...
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

FROM http://cal4wheel.com/latest-news/637...v-program.html

Originally posted by Cal4Wheel
      Urgent action is needed to preserve OHV parks in California
      The Issue:

On Friday, February 18, 2011, the California Assembly Budget Committee voted to take $27 million out of the OHV operating budget. This would NOT be a loan, and would continue year after year. It would result in closures and cutbacks to the California OHV Parks: Carnegie, Clay Pit, Heber Dunes, Hollister Hills, Hungry Valley, Mammoth Bar, Oceano Dunes, Ocotillo Wells and Prairie City. The Snow Grooming program and State Sno-Parks will also be greatly affected or closed. In addition, the Governor is proposing to take $21 million more from the OHV program. This could be the end of the OHV program as we have enjoyed it for the last 40 years.

This Wednesday, February 23, the Conference Committee will meet in the State Capitol to iron out difference between the State Assembly and Senate Budget Committees. We have to influence the following Conference Committee members through our elected legislative representatives: Senator Leno, Vice Chair; Senator Lowenthal, Senator Negrete McLeod , Senator Huff, and Senator Emmerson, and Assemblyman Blumenfield.

What can you do:

ACT NOW! and contact your legislative members ASAP. Find your representatives below, and use the talking points that follow when you are speaking to them. You may also add talking points of your own.

Contacts:

Senator Mark Leno
      (916) 651-4003
      http://dist03.casen.govoffice.com/

Senator Alan Lowenthal
      (916) 651-4027
      http://dist27.casen.govoffice.com/

Senator Gloria Negrete McLeod
      Senator.McLeod@senate.ca.gov
      http://dist32.casen.govoffice.com/

Senator Bob Huff
      (916) 651-4029
      http://cssrc.us/web/29/contact_me.aspx

Senator Bill Emmerson
      (916) 651-4037
      http://cssrc.us/web/37/contact_us.aspx

Assemblymember Bob Blumenfield
      (916) 319-2040
      http://democrats.assembly.ca.gov/members/a40/

Talking Points:

The budget proposes only an $11 million cut for 270 State Parks, yet a cut of $27 million is proposed from the OHV division which has only eight State OHV Parks. This represents less than a 10% cut to State Park operations, but over a forty-percent (40%) reduction to the operating budget of the OHV parks. The OHV Division is a user-funded program, taking NO money from the General Fund.
      The State OHV Parks are all about children, offering them opportunities to recreate outdoors. The OHV parks encourage families to go camping, and offer urban residents the chance to enjoy the outdoors in a safe environment. The OHV parks enjoyed a 150% increase in attendance over the last 10 years, which State Parks cannot equal.
      The Law says the OHV division of State Parks should have equal priority among the other State Parks. Budget impacts should be equally shared... yet the State OHV Parks have had $112 million dollars taken over the last three years. Now the Assembly proposes to gut the program, favoring less popular State Parks. This is certainly discriminatory, and counter to the law. The OHV community has given more than its fair share of the OHV Trust Fund. These are dedicated user fees.
      The OHV community has taken legal action for two other attempts of this kind...and the State has lost! We sued you and won $21.5 million. We are willing and able to do this again, and the State will lose even more money before all this is over. We will pursue all legal remedies to stop this action, and stop the discrimination against the State OHV Program and affiliated activities.
      {o===o}
      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
      EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
      Originally posted by CityHick
      I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

We could always rally on the steps of the capitol with our 4x4's, motorcycles,quads ect...If they want to shut down the few places left for us to play....we'll just have to play in "they're" front yard!

I think a couple hundred 4x4's parked in front of the state capitol on the lawns, steps, decrative landscaping ect...might get their attention.
        70 Bronco, 5.0, ARB front 44, Detroit 9in Rear, Dana 20 w/ Rock Eaters, NP435, Beadlocked 36X13.5 IROXS

2001 F-250, triple gauges, ATO Tranny, 35 SST's, line-x, bully dogged!

Comment

Originally posted by slvregl View Post
          We could always rally on the steps of the capitol with our 4x4's, motorcycles,quads ect...If they want to shut down the few places left for us to play....we'll just have to play in "they're" front yard!

I think a couple hundred 4x4's parked in front of the state capitol on the lawns, steps, decrative landscaping ect...might get their attention.
          I really like this idea but...... I'm just to pretty to go to jail.
          72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Originally posted by TRAILBOUND View Post
            I really like this idea but...... I'm just to pretty to go to jail.
            Don't drop the soap....
            75 sport 302 c4 full width 44 front 9 rear let the building begin

Comment

If you can't pay for your food or doctor visit then your hungry and sick. The state needs to stop the free programs. Sorry began to get out of control.

Comment

Originally posted by kevoson View Post
                Don't drop the soap....
                I use soap powder...takes longer to pick up...just couldn't resist...

Comment

Working...
                X