Tickets for illegal parking on Con...on the trail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tickets for illegal parking on Con...on the trail

This is a heads up to everyone camping on the Rubicon Trail. The forest service FPOs (Forest Service Protection Officers) and the county sherrifs are enforcing the rules for parking adjacent to the trail...not in the forest. Enforce...meaning they are writing tickets which are $165.00 each.

The FS appears to be far less flexible or willing to warn or educate anyone about the change. They are writing many people up. We have many reports back of mis-information, rude or even sarcastic responses from the FS FPO's and frankly the problem is growing. In a couple cases, people have gotten tickets for being just a bit too far off the trail and were parked on dirt or slab granite... Don't assume that parking on slab or dirt is okay...it has to be adjacent to the trail and within the 25 foot easement.

Now, I'd like to tell you exactly what the law is and what you should do. It is not that simple, but the best way to avoid a ticket is know that you are on the official trail first. Then park within the 25 foot easement of the trail. Now is that 25 feet from outside to outside or from the centerline...I don't know...centerline appears to be correct, but again I'm not sure. Park as close as you can to the trail without blocking it. Haul your gear to where you plan to camp. Many tickets have been issued at Buck Island.

Efforts are being made to get clarification on how its enforced. Efforts are being made to clear up where the trail is. But, we are working with agencies and that can be less than fast or clear.

Please...Please...if you or anyone you know gets a ticket, we want to know about it. Email me @ go2camp@comcast.net. I especially want feedback on location and the nature of the ticket.

Thanks
    Marlon
    Don't worry about it...its mostly glass...will be fine...

I went to the woods to live deliberately...

Carpe' Dium

Good to know for sure. Thanks for the info and I'll keep my ears open for anyone that has received a ticket.

Comment

Yes, thanks for the information...sure nice to live in Kalifornia...
      “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

No kidding...
        Don't worry about it...its mostly glass...will be fine...

I went to the woods to live deliberately...

Carpe' Dium

Comment

I was up there at the beginning of June, and got warned. They were pretty cool to our group, but we did get about four different explinations from the group of FPO's. It was clear as mud, and we dicided to park as close to the trail as possible. We were camped at Ellis Creek.
          Still had a great time, and only broke an front axle, and a rear output shaft in the little sluce. Next time I will make it. That is if they don't blow it up before I get back.
          Marc D.
          If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Great....

Well....I'll let you all know how it is explained during Jamboree or how it effects it.

Comment

I was up there last Sunday. We were having lunch at Ellis Creek and we approached by Forest Service. We did get a warning for being more than 25' from the centerline of the trail. He told me that he has written quite a few tickets on the slabs, coming in through Gatekeeper and at Buck Island. There are yellow reflective markers epoxied to the rock to show the centerline. If you are more than 25' from them you will receive a citation. As many of you know, there are numerous routes through the bowl, so be aware of your location and watch for the markers. He also explained that these rules have been in place since Jan.1 and that the education period is over.

Comment

I think this is an example of the wheelers getting an answer that is different from the what the forest service has established as policy. To hear that the slabs before gate keeper is off limits now is BS. Tell jamboree that then about the helicopter pad (its off trail) I think i will take the attitude of removing my license plate when i park and go hiking. Try to write me a ticket when you have no reference to ownership. What are they going to do have me towed... or use a denver boot. I'm just getting tired of the hassle from over zealious cops.
                70 Bronco with extras; 351W TBI,C-4, D20, HP44 locked w/ 4.56, locked 9" w/31spline, 35 tires, pb 4w-disc, on a 5.5 lift with WAH and Rockers.

Comment

I saw those markers in May and wondered why they were there.

Well...better carry a tape-measure.

Comment

also....be aware that if you are towing...they will give you a ticket if you park your truck and trailer on the pavement before the dam. We were up there on memorial day and there were a lot of tickets on the windows of lots of trucks....
                    70 Bronco, 5.0, ARB front 44, Detroit 9in Rear, Dana 20 w/ Rock Eaters, NP435, Beadlocked 36X13.5 IROXS

2001 F-250, triple gauges, ATO Tranny, 35 SST's, line-x, bully dogged!

Comment

I'm done with the Con abd have no desire to go anymore. There are a lot of trails without the drama...
                      “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

i will still do the con, but i am doing it the way the locals do it and will not be dealing with the drama. if the drama catches me then i will say go ahead and close the trail i dont care anymore
                        70 Bronco with extras; 351W TBI,C-4, D20, HP44 locked w/ 4.56, locked 9" w/31spline, 35 tires, pb 4w-disc, on a 5.5 lift with WAH and Rockers.

Comment

the locals use the campgrounds around wentworth as a base camp and run in and out, if they run the full trail and trailer in they will part at the designated parking lot by the chalet. Parking on the trail is based on where you want to camp. Locals will run all the way to the springs in one day and camp there. At ellis there is proper places to park and camp. Spider there is limited spots before you get to LS. Buck island has some limited spots. But the main problem is there are more people on the trail who are unaware of the problems they are creating. ( I would not recommend camping near spider or buck island, based on last weekend the place is a mess) Haul it in haul it means you haul your shit out too! I'm tired of the white poppies around the trail

Comment

Working...
                          X