Water Pollution Lawsuit against Carnegie Recreation Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Pollution Lawsuit against Carnegie Recreation Area

These envirowackos don't stop. I can't believe the crap they come up with and people back them.

Water Pollution Lawsuit Against California State ORV Park
    Creek Ruined by Off-Road Abuse in Carnegie Recreation Area

TRACY, Calif. - September 17 - An association representing government scientists and law enforcement personnel and another representing sport fishing interests filed a lawsuit today in Alameda County Superior Court charging the California Department of Parks and Recreation and its Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation (OHMVR) Division with violating the state's Water Code and their own regulations by allowing off-road vehicle activities to pollute Corral Hollow Creek at Carnegie State Vehicular Recreation Area.

The two groups, Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER) and California Sportfishing Protection Alliance (CSPA), charge the OHMVR Division violates State law by failing to file required Reports of Waste Discharge for vast amounts of sediment and heavy metals being discharged into the creek from Carnegie's heavily-used off-road trails and open areas. They also charge the OHMVR Division with failing to comply with its own regulations, which require annual monitoring of soil loss and damage to wildlife habitat.

The Carnegie State Vehicular Recreation Area (SVRA), near Tracy, is home to a number of sensitive, endangered and threatened wildlife species, including the Kit fox, California Red-legged frog, Western pond turtle, Alameda whipsnake, California tiger salamander, Golden eagle, Western spadefoot toad and Large flowered fiddlenecks. Corral Canyon is the only place in the world the fiddleneck occupies. Carnegie's denuded hillsides, a result of decades of damaging "hillclimbs" by off-road vehicles, stand in stark contrast to the lushly vegetated slopes on adjoining private lands. Inside the park, steep trails are badly eroded and Corral Hollow Creek is used as an off-road play area.

"State Parks is allowing an obscene degradation, not only of a public facility, but of waters of the State," observed Karen Schambach, California Field Director for PEER. "Off-roaders shouldn't be getting a free pass to pollute, merely because theirs is a recreational use."

Bill Jennings, Executive Director of CSPA said, "DPR is failing its duty to protect the water quality of Corral Hollow Creek by allowing its eroded trails to spew sediment into the creek and riders at the park to use the creek as an off-road play area. DPR's failure is amplified by its effort to evade the California Regional Water Quality Control Board's authority to regulate and prevent the park's pollution."

The groups are demanding the State file Reports of Waste Discharge with the Regional Water Quality Control Board, and obtain the permits required for discharges into state waters. They are also seeking temporary closure of Carnegie until the OHMVR Division complies with the water quality permitting requirement and completes monitoring and restoration in compliance with its own regulations.

The OHMVR Division is responsible for ensuring responsible management of off-road use throughout the state, including on thousands of acres of Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management land that have received hundreds of millions of dollars over the 38-year old life of the program. Conservation groups have, for years, charged the program with putting recreation interests over environmental protection. The program, the beneficiary of $60 million a year in state fuel tax revenues, is the only Division of State Parks not facing park closures.

http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2009/09/17-23
    77 Ranger, 302, C4, 4.88's, Detroits, 35 spline 9", WH 5.5", 3" BL, 37" BFG KM2's on Walker Evans 17" beadlocks

Re: Water Pollution Lawsuit against Carnegie Recreation Area

Unfortunately, they'll probably close it, just like they shut down suction dredge gold mining recently in response to an environmental lawsuit.

Velcome to Kalifornia
    70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Comment

Gotta love it. Sometimes I wonder how much longer we'll be able to operate our 40 year old rigs in this state. They are old and they "pollute the water". Maybe its time to get serious about getting out of state...
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

I've lived out of state, you just can't make the money in other states that you can in California. Even if you can, I find that living in the country although spacious, it's very boring. I think I will stay here, but eventually get another tow rig and trailer to make long trips to places like Moab, and South Dakota more comfortable.
        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I mean this...vote at every election, vote for your LIBERTY, and vote true conservatives in office. This is environmental tyranny and it will never stop unless we change the game players for good.
          “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel View Post
            I mean this...vote at every election, vote for your LIBERTY, and vote true conservatives in office. This is environmental tyranny and it will never stop unless we change the game players for good.
            i agree. these groups won't quit as they no they are the minority users of public lands, not the wheelers/campers/hunters and fisherman who made money available to open these places in the first place. i will get east of nevada before i retire. a fire or earthquake followed by rain would create the same "damage" but that is considered "natural". i'm sick of stuped lawsuits and the lawyers ripping off the people of this state and stripping thm of the right to use public land as they want to. rant temporarily over.
            6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

Boring in the country? Never! I can wheel every day, I'm going out into the woods this evening.

Delta is right. We are being run over by the left, it's time to stand up and fight. Our kids will not enjoy the freedoms we enjoy today.
              70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

Comment

Mike, a lot of private land is being regulated as well. Don't think what you have is here to stay either.
                “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Mark Harris
                  71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

This kills me:

Originally posted by enviro-nuts
                    Carnegie's denuded hillsides, a result of decades of damaging "hillclimbs" by off-road vehicles, stand in stark contrast to the lushly vegetated slopes on adjoining private lands. Inside the park, steep trails are badly eroded and Corral Hollow Creek is used as an off-road play area.
                    Have these people actually been out Corral Hollow road? I would hardly call those hills "lushly vegetated"!

Has anybody read the thread over on Pirate? People bring up some good points there - such as that creek being dry most of the year. Do these people have nothing better to do? And what do they propose that land gets used for? There are not even any native trees there. Maybe a few wind mills along the ridge would buy a few pollution credits (another scam) to offset the "damage" done by using that park...
                    1970 Bronco
                    My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel View Post
                      Mike, a lot of private land is being regulated as well. Don't think what you have is here to stay either.
                      bassi falls is a great example of private [timber company] land that was open and got sued into submission by 4xterrorists. of course you can still hike/walk in if thats your thing but my cooler is too heavy.
                      6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

Well... unfortunately this is an age-old fight with the enviro-"nazis" and rest assured, us USERS will lose even though WE do more for preservation and protection of public lands than they could ever dream off!

Here's a good story for you,
                        My family lost our A$$ due to floods of the Sacramento river in 1983 and 1986. We had 200 acres of 10 yr old almond trees backed by mud creek which is a seasonal tributary (drainage) to the Sac. All the damage could have been avoided if the county would have been allowed to FINISH the levee on mud creek (a grand total of about 150 yds)! They were not allowed by the state to do so because a "Yellow Billed Cookoo" (whatever the F that is) apparently had a nest out there somewhere. The bird was "endangered" but not NATIVE! Instead of sending a tree hugger out there with an F'ing net and moving the damn thing they let the river back up and flood thousands of acres of orchard crops! We LOST a grand total of about $1 mil during those two floods and I'm sure I'll have my share of it to pay off when my folks hand over the ranch (still paying for it 23 yrs later)...

In my opinion CA is the most beautiful and diverse state in this nation and has plenty of room for all to enjoy! It breaks my heart to see the left take control but after all, thats what gets those people off, CONTROL!!! They care nothing of the BIG picture and push through life with the blinders on...

GO GREEN!

Like Delta says, do you part and VOTE! After all, THEY are actually the MINORITY if all us country bumpkins would hit the polls... plus we have guns!

Fungus
                        sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

You are right, it is about GOVERNMENT CONTROL.

Control of your outdoor activities, gun control, health care control, control of your vehicle choice via smog laws, the list goes on.

The left wants CONTROL over your lives. You are losing your liberties at a greatly accelerated rate.

Fight back NOW or lose them forever. Fight for LIMITED government, lower taxes, and more liberties.

Comment

Guy's it's always about money. What do the "public employees" at PEERS want?
                            They are looking to redistribute the money that goes into the park. Mark my words, with enough money, this goes away.

Comment

This sounds kind of wierd but Iv'e been google-ing the representatives and their backers and they seem to be republican party. Can someone back me up or let me know i'm wrong.
                              Idle hands equates to wild horses getting my money

Comment

Working...
                              X