• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gate Keeper Blasted

Just an FYI

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415563

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416038
    Last edited by Delta 4 Wheel; 11-23-2005, 10:26 PM.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

I can't believe they did that. I think I need to join FOTR and the BRC. It is really to bad they chose to blast that area. Everyone take the time to read this. For most of us it is the closest fun trail we have next to Fordyce.
    RIP - Gatekeeper
    72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
    1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

So what did they do and why did they do it? I realize they blew a few rocks but why? and how many?
      KK6DAD
      70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Aaron, read the pirate threads..they can provide a much better explanation than I can reproduce...

Here are before and after pics. The after pic was this weekend.
        Attached Files
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

I can't say that I agree with the blasting....I along with many others on this board have spent tons of money on our rigs to make them capable of doing the "Rubicon Trail", However we can not keep digging out the ground around large rocks and creating amunition for the greenies on the erosion issues.

I am all for large obstacales on the trail to make it a challange for me and my rig, but having been witness to idiots that won't go around an obstical after the first ten tries, I believe we need to elimate the obsticals that cause problems like the gatekeeper. The gatekeeper was a great first "Test" for those that wanted to take their rigs up there and see if they have what it takes. The problem started when the rigs would break in the corner and those without the common curtesy to help others, would try and go around them. That is what caused the "Center Line" to develop. Then because the rocks were so large from the downhill side, these people would spin there tires and dig out large holes which does create erosion problems and then the greenies are laughing at us for giving them amunition.

I want to see the trail remain open for a long time to come, so please report the jerks that make bypasses and tear up the existing trail to the proper authorites. They may not have the resources to press charges, but it will show the Forest Service and the County that we are willing to do our part to keep the sport we love so much alive.
          Last edited by slvregl; 11-27-2005, 09:11 PM.
          70 Bronco, 5.0, ARB front 44, Detroit 9in Rear, Dana 20 w/ Rock Eaters, NP435, Beadlocked 36X13.5 IROXS

2001 F-250, triple gauges, ATO Tranny, 35 SST's, line-x, bully dogged!

Comment

Well said. I am on the same page as you. I have other views on the sluice box that I do not want to post...but I will say that the rubicon pirates have no one to blame but themselves...

Comment

Well.....that's to bad. It was called Gate-keeper for a reason. I'm just happy that I was able to go through one last time this past summer.

On the subject of the "Pirates". I do think that not all of them can be the cause. But there is a certain element that plague our trails that give us a bad name. My Dad took me on these trails as a kid in a '53 Willys and I still remember the type of people we would go with and the people we would meet. They are the same type of people I go with today. It is the reason we started this forum, was to attract responsible, family minded folks to go wheelin' with. (That doesn't mean I don't like to tie one on and have a few.)

But these trails are not a unlimited playground for buggies to wander all over and tear up.

I witnessed this passed year on the Fordyce a perfect example of that. On the Winch Hill 1 bypass, a difficult line that needed to be hit just right, or winched up, was torn up by "buggies" (please excuse for lack of a better term) and made almost impassable. I watched as frustrated people created a new tral where there was not one before.

No offense to responsible people who would consider their rig a buggie.

But most of these vehicle owners do not care about what line they take and churn up the earth until it's a mess.

Comment

Working...
              X