X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eldorado National forest decision press release

For those who have not seen this posted on other sites:

http://www.sharetrails.org/news/2012...forest-lawsuit

Guess you have to take the good with the bad, as we're now looking at a partial re-opening of many of these routes... but far too many miles will remain closed in my opinion; pending further review by the National Forest officials.

Anyway... not quite sure how to feel just yet.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Eldorado National forest decision press release

I look at it as semi good, but wait for the suit to really get going and see how many reversals will occur
    68 Slightly modified
    67 LUBR once again
    61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Broncrick View Post
      I look at it as semi good, but wait for the suit to really get going and see how many reversals will occur
      Yeah I hear you, it is a step forward. Losing Deer Valley and Barrett Lake would be a real shame, among many others. Honestly with so many trails still closed/partially closed (at least in this version), we're basically left with the Rubicon, Fordyce, and Slickrock up here, and all the Fresno/Shaver-area trails to the south (I hate that drive but love the area).

Fingers crossed that we regain more trails.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

welcome to what we experienced in montana 12-15 years ago.

Forest service "trust us, we need to map all the trails out there so we can keep them open. We've been ordered to map everything that is being used and come up with a managment plan"

4x4 clubs (five valley at the time) "sure GPS cordinates, mapping, we'll take you on some trail rides and show you what and where we enjoy going and would like to make sure gets mapped and not closed"

Forest service "Thank you, we look forward to working together"

1 year later and the next 5 years

Forest service "we've mapped everything and determined that many user created trails exist and that many other trails should be rehabilitated, we will keep the 4x4 user in mind" "unfortunately we will be closing many of the trails that are not maintainable, necessary or are under width (under 24' with culverts), the rest of the trails will be turned into wilderness study areas we will close some through trails int he center but allow you access from both ends at least the first mile up"

6 months later
        Forest service "we've been (conveniently)sued by the CBD and sierra clubs many of the trails that we kept open do not have sufficient EIS"

Forest service "Again we've been (conveniently) sued by the enviromental groups for insufficient documentation and EIS studies and have determined that the best method of management is further closures, we do not have funding or time to study and document keeping these trails open and the judge has determined that closing the trails at the main roads via gate until further studies can be completed is the best path forward"

15 years later gates are gone trails are kelly humped or completely boldozed over and repalnted and most areas are permanent wilderness study areas that will never be studied

Sound familiar ............ I tried beating this into the RTF, Cal 4wd and BRC for the last 10 years and they think they can work with these people..... I hope and pray this lawsuit catches traction because Idaho, Nevada, MT, Wyoming, Oragon and washington have already been raped and pilalged already ...... funny thing CA is the last stand
        Last edited by ddestruel; 08-15-2012, 09:16 PM.
        "Jeep Lurker"

Jeep cj 7
        Amc 401 power plants you should try it some time

Comment

Totally bogus! The notes/reason next to Barrett Lake trail are a joke.

Comment

Hey found out forest service is have a meeting in my area
            Regarding trail closure. in amador eldarado county's.
            Trying to get people to show up! More info on there web site http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/eldora...TELPRDB5362046

Comment

This could be a good thing!!!

Comment

Working...
              X