2012 Deer Valley Trail information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Deer Valley Trail information

Figured I'd share some information that I learned last Thursday when I stopped in at the Calaveras Ranger District office on Highway 4. As we all know, the Deer Valley trail is affected by the Eldorado National Forest closure order but there has been some confusion about the southern side of the trail that starts from Highway 4, which is in the Stanislaus NF.

Long story short, there's a gate on the trail where it crosses into the Eldorado National Forest. That gate is closed/locked and it's only about a mile into the trail from the southern entrance. It is legal to run in to the gate and back, but the gate is well before the popular camp spots near the southern creek crossing. So while some of the harder obstacles are open, its hardly worth the trip.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: 2012 Deer Valley Trail information

Not saying that I will, im more curious...

Can an LEO or NF official get back to where the gate is at without hiking? I know that the NF service has 4wd f150's, but they are bone stock. Im sure they dont know how to wheel.
    {o===o}
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
    Originally posted by CityHick
    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
      Not saying that I will, im more curious...

Can an LEO or NF official get back to where the gate is at without hiking? I know that the NF service has 4wd f150's, but they are bone stock. Im sure they dont know how to wheel.
      It would be tough. People claim to take stock trucks in there but I wouldn't chance taking mine in from that end (I might chance it from the Hwy 88 side). That end of the trail is definitely better suited to short wheelbase rigs as it's where the better obstacles/rocks are.

The ranger who enters my camp every time I go to Slick Rock wouldn't be able to hike in there... she gets short of breath climbing out of her 4x4 Expedition . Nice enough lady, never gives me any trouble... just not the most fit ranger I've met!
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Last summer we ran into the Rangers that came in from the Blue lakes side they were in an F150 and deep into the trail, almost all the way to the other side.

I talked to one of the park guys at Blue Lakes and he said they would be patroling that trail pretty heavily this summer.
        1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Comment

Originally posted by GloNDark2 View Post
          I talked to one of the park guys at Blue Lakes and he said they would be patroling that trail pretty heavily this summer.
          So the rangers are allowed to wheel it to keep it "SAFE" but the legal, tax paying, hard working citizens that actually own it are kicked out.

I never knew someone could be above the law.
          {o===o}
          Originally posted by TBS-POPS
          EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
          Originally posted by CityHick
          I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
            So the rangers are allowed to wheel it to keep it "SAFE" but the legal, tax paying, hard working citizens that actually own it are kicked out.

I never knew someone could be above the law.
            I asked him what mode of transportation they would be using, he said they would use the ranger truck to drive into the first meadow crossings but would hike or horseback the rest. Even he laughed at the fact that they would be using the ranger trucks. I even pointed out the "Ranger" emblem on the glovebox door and said mines a ranger too, can I go?
            1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Comment

I've already commented elsewhere on this... I don't know what "standard" the meadow crossing has to adhere to, but the crossings on that trail are so well defined and reinforced. This whole situation is ridiculous. It's not the hardest of trails but the scenery there is fantastic and the camping spots are great. I have no doubt they can get their pickups into the first crossing from the north. but like Ryan said why are they above the law? A buddy of mine is dating a lawyer now... she's been reading up on this a bit. Will be interesting to hear her take on all of it, not that she can help turn this around at this point. She has said that our group should form or join a club though for a louder voice.
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

It's a crock of sh!it if you ask me. But whatever........it's over and done with now. I doubt this trail will ever open again.

Comment

I was on deer valley from 9/1 -9/3 camped at 2nd river crossing it's open only seen 4 rigs all weekend and 6 dirtbikes it was great

Comment

has anybody heard new information on this and other trails in the eldorado national forest.
                    I had heard that they were going to re open the trails. Just wanted to see if any body else had heard anything?

Comment

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/eldora...telprdb5362046

Latest from the USFS. Reduced from 42 routes to 18 that remain closed. Unfortunately Deer Valley and Barrett Lake remain closed. I'm planning to run the rubicon once this year, possibly another run in the eastern sierra, and otherwise go do non-OHV stuff this year.
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

Ran deer valley 3 weeks ago, mid week.. No signs, no gates.
                        Spoke with the campground host at Blue Lakes and he says people run it all the time.
                        -Chuck

Comment

Working...
                        X