X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forest Service closes 42 trails in Eldorado County

Forest service Press Release 04/04/12

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/eldora...TELPRDB5362068

Forty-two off-highway-vehicle routes that cross meadows in the Eldorado National Forest may be closed to motor vehicle travel this recreation season while the Forest Service completes an environmental analysis, announced Eldorado National Forest Supervisor Kathy Hardy.

The potential travel prohibitions are the result of a February 2012 court order by U.S. District Court Judge Lawrence Karlton. The order said the Forest Service failed to comply with the National Forest Management Act in 2008 when it designated “open for public motor vehicle use” portions of 42 routes that cross meadows. Judge Karlton ordered the Forest Service to “set aside” the decision that designated these segments as open and to reconsider the decision.

A final court order with further direction to the Forest Service is pending. In the interim, Karlton ordered the 42 routes remain closed to motorized public use. The final order will identify specifically where travel will be prohibited until a new environmental decision is made.

“I know that prohibiting travel on these routes will be a big disappointment to forest visitors, but we have to be responsive to the order.” said Hardy. “I have a team of people lined up to complete a supplemental environmental impact statement as quickly as possible.”

The SEIS is scheduled to begin in April or May 2012 and to be completed by April 2013.

Hardy says many popular high county routes may be affected by the closure. Some of these routes include: Barrett Lake Jeep Trail; Squaw Ridge Four Wheel Drive Trail; Clover Valley/ Deer Valley Trail; Strawberry Four Wheel Drive Trail; Carson Emigrant Trail; Allen’s Camp Motorcycle Trail and the Bucks Pasture Motorcycle Trail. The Rubicon 4wd Trail is not affected by this court order.

Maps and a complete list of the routes affected by the court order will be posted on the Eldorado National Forest website at:
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/eldorado.

These maps will be modified to reflect the final court order once it is received. A free-of-charge motor vehicle use map that shows the routes that are open to wheeled motor vehicle use will be available at all Eldorado National Forest offices in June 2012 reflecting the final order.

“I intend to close the routes where it makes sense to do so if the final order prohibits travel on routes that cross meadows,” said Hardy. “A route may be closed near a meadow or some distance away depending on how difficult it is to turn a vehicle around.”

Some routes will also be closed indirectly because they branch off closed routes and will not be accessible.
    1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Re: Forest Service closes 42 trails in Eldorado County

I've been following this on pbb.

I will not sit down and take this. I will not trade property like some agencies have.
    {o===o}
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
    Originally posted by CityHick
    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Some of the "trails" they are closing are mere dirt roads. The trail from blue lakes to meadow lake I have driven my wifes outback out. There is NO passing thru meadows to get there yet it's on the closure list.......

We have to stop compromising with the eco-terrorists, they are fighting dirty while we are expected to play by the rules. This is BS.
      1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Comment

Originally posted by GloNDark2 View Post
        Some of the "trails" they are closing are mere dirt roads. .. This is BS.
        Allen Camp and Squaw Ridge Road ... also dirt roads that do not cross medows. What bullshiet.
        Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

This closure is ILLEGAL on all parts.
          {o===o}
          EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....

Comment

When I first heard about this, my first reaction is rage! What happened to public land for public use? all because CBN throws a BS lawsuit at ENF. Temp closures? we know how that can go, think Spider Lake!

Outlaw wheeling? maybe, but my 2011 map shows this.... I will NOT roll over on this BS, not in MY forest

Brothers unite!
            68 Slightly modified
            67 LUBR once again
            61 Willy Wagon

Comment

This is crap

Comment

I don't understand this and definitely want to get more educated on what exactly is driving this. I am with Rick and don't buy the "temporary" statements in that disclosure. There has to be a compromise that can be reached here.

These people need to take a quick look at Google Maps. Here's the satellite view of the Deer Valley trail. What do you see? A narrow passage surrounded by thousands of acres of unspoiled wilderness. Having been through that trail the only "meadow crossings" are extremely limited and are very well defined, having been reinforced with gravel even. The crossing is at the narrowest possible area right at the "mouth" of that meadow. See picture below. The only possible re-route would involve removing trees and we all know how likely that is to happen.

I am ready to volunteer to fight this in whatever way I can; not sure what good it'll do at this point as the decision seems to have been made at least for 2012.
                Attached Files
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

Tony you said the wrong word [compromise] we have stop it. we keep giving up some trail or part of thinking their going to stop taking it away.
                  75 302 c4 marlin crawler 20 44&9" 4.56 arb's 35"mtrs

Comment

Originally posted by GREMLIN View Post
                    Tony you said the wrong word [compromise] we have stop it. we keep giving up some trail or part of thinking their going to stop taking it away.
                    You are probably right, however in matters like this we're already starting behind the curve. It requires caution and tact at the least for fear of losing it all.
                    1970 Bronco
                    My build thread

Comment

Not having been up there and planning on going up there, I hate to see this crap happening. Would it be worth looking into the cost of a good attorney that might take this on? If not pro bono then we could get with other clubs and ask for donations to fund a good attorney? I'm sure that a little bit from a lot of members would go a long way... Just a thought.
                      1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

Originally posted by RockMolester
                        This is one of the ideas I proposed to Kurt as soon as we heard about this bullshit ruling, but perhaps a better idea would be to Occupy Deer Valley (or wherever) and get every club member, senior, veteran, and child we can, send 300 vehicles into Deer Valley, set up camp, and build some freakin' bridges over the creek crossings and do whatever trail maintenance is needed. Call in the press, document everything, wave American flags non-stop, and be kind and courteous and respectful to everyone and everything while making it perfectly clear that we will NOT allow the government to lock us out of any more of our PUBLIC lands.

We are NOT causing environmental problems and they know it! Show them that we can fix in 1 week what the government and the "environmentalists" can't do in a decade - and that we can do it without a bunch of damn environmental impact studies and millions of taxpayer dollars! If the government comes in to arrest us for taking the initiative to perform a self- funded volunteer environmental restoration project on the public lands that we cherish, then the media ought to side with US for once instead of the anti-access propagandists.
                        http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=32
                        I like it!
                        {o===o}

Comment

So lets do this!
                          Senator Ted Gaines comments on trail closures.

“Closing these trails for a solid year or more is absolutely the wrong approach,” said Gaines. “Off-roading is a major hobby enjoyed by people from across the country and is a contributor to our state and region’s economy. I don’t see why these trails, which have been used for decades, can’t remain open until the environmental study is complete.”

Senator Gaines plans to follow this issue closely and will share updates on the status of the final court order.
                          Write your Federal House Representative...and say exactly what Gaines said above.

Dear Sir,

We have recently become aware that there will be a massive closure of OHV trails in the Eldorado National forest this summer.

Closing these trails for a solid year or more is absolutely the wrong approach. Off-roading is a major hobby enjoyed by people from across the country and is a major contributor to our state and region’s economy.

I don’t see why these trails, which have been in regular use for decades, can’t remain open until the environmental study is complete.

Sincerely,

Blah blah blah

Copy and paste and use their contact form on their website.
                          Last edited by 71BRONCO71; 04-06-2012, 01:12 PM.
                          {o===o}

Comment

District 11 is

Jerry McNerney
                            5776 Stoneridge Mall Rd. #175
                            Pleasanton, CA 94588

Im going to personally drop mine off at his office today.
                            {o===o}

Comment

Beat me to the letter Ryan, good job!

Lets not think we can sit on the side guys. Many of us have been involved in fighting for years now. Getting the letters out, showing support, volunteering is all key in trail access. We need to unite! do we know how united and how much coin the Enviro's have? way more then us, but we have numbers, just not united.

Dosent affect my trail? so why worry? this will all affect the way we all camp, fish, and yes wheel, for our years ahead and our next generation.
                              68 Slightly modified
                              67 LUBR once again
                              61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X