Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pippin's Pricey Perpetual Project

Looking good!
    Building is definitely fun. I do enjoy driving mine but projects are good too.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

Looking great pipp!
      {o===o}
      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
      EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
      Originally posted by CityHick
      I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Come a long ways. Looks good!
        Vacaville, Ca
        67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

Now with 100% fewer axles, I didn't realize mine were going to sell so quickly I hope you enjoy them Cornbread. Time to get going on the new ones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_27566.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	271502
          Last edited by pippinmader; 11-13-2019, 10:21 AM.
          Build thread

Comment

Finally sneaked some bronco time, almost got the front axle put together, mixing and matching aftermarket parts is definitely a bit of a challenge, had to trim the axles down a little bit because they were originally setup for a Detroit (no spider gear support pin). I also am running some aftermarket brake dust covers that are thinner than stock, that sucked everything in and make the snap ring on the and of the axle shafts stick out to far for the hubs to fit, ended up making spacers that are about 1/32 thick to make it all work. Added gusset to front axle kind of like a Toyota front axle, skid plate for the bottom, and drain and fill plugs. Still have to sort out trac bar, brake lines, and steering.

This should solve any driveline angles, assuming it doesn't go straight through the oil pan! The front driveshaft should be raised 3.75" (1.5+2.25) and the rear should be raised 4.5" (2.25+2.25). With the 4" of lift I am running in the rear it should make the driveline angle less than factory with no lift. in the front it is a little more complicated because I clocked the transfer case up a couple inches and the ZF transmission makes the drivetrain longer, but it should make it about the same as stock. The drivelines are stock bronco ones with 1310 u-joints, but the high9s came with 1350 yokes, going to run a conversion joint and see how it goes, with the fairly flat driveline angles I could always go to a 1350 based driveline, but I don't expect to need that, the 1310s are probably plenty strong, especially if they don't ever get put in a bind.

For the rear axle, the plan is to weld up and re-drill the ends for the new style 3/8 bolts to work with my Explorer disc brakes. Set the rear pinion angle and weld on the perches and install the brace on the housing, not sure I really need a brace but it was sitting around so might as well use it. Also waiting on a new 35 spline ARB, the first one had a huge casting flaw in the housing.

Name:	image_27715.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	702.3 KB
ID:	271593 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_27731.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	682.9 KB
ID:	271601 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_27732.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	668.3 KB
ID:	271602 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_27733.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	442.8 KB
ID:	271603 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_27734.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	271604 Click image for larger version

Views:	38
ID:	314178 Click image for larger version

Views:	37
ID:	314179
            Last edited by pippinmader; 11-13-2019, 10:26 AM.
            Build thread

Comment

Finally got the bronco put together enough to load on the trailer and take to Truckee. Thanks for the top Brian, it should have just bolted right on but the roll cage interfered, ended up having to cut and reweld the roll cage pads to move the whole thing forward 1/2", it was either that or drill new holes, which would have been easier, but I had spend so much time filling all the holes in that tub I couldn't stand the idea of putting in any more. In the end I had to postpone getting the e-brakes setup and it is still missing the steering stabilizer but other than that it is back together. It was weird to haul it out of Woodland for the last time, but it sure does look right at home in the mountains. I have noticed that 6000 ft elevation takes the snort out of it though, time for ?!?

Name:	image_28019.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	271795 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_28069.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	716.5 KB
ID:	271819 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_28068.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	815.1 KB
ID:	271818 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_28018.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	271794 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_28017.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	271793 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_28016.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	271792 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_28014.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	271791
              Last edited by pippinmader; 11-13-2019, 10:24 AM.
              Build thread

Comment

Finally got the ARBs wired and plumbed up. I had been thinking about where to put the switches, the ARB supplied ones don't really go with the style of an early bronco, then I found these cool LED switches and a place called Carolina Laser that could make me custom rocker switch "legends" (who knew they were called legends???). Anyway I like the result, went ahead and ordered some for the front bumper lights and the rock lights, now I just have to buy/wire the lights
                Attached Files
                Last edited by pippinmader; 07-27-2015, 10:52 AM.
                Build thread

Comment

Went home to Oregon, they have an abandoned silage pit, my brother said there was no way I could just drive through, he was right, it took two tries.
                  https://www.facebook.com/pippinmader...734738/?type=3
                  Last edited by pippinmader; 01-31-2018, 03:35 PM.
                  Build thread

Comment

Nice climb, and looks like a nice part of Oregon.
                    Marc D.
                    If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Got some new "old" license plates! Also snow fun here in Truckee.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	750.5 KB
ID:	272258Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	563.9 KB
ID:	272259

Last edited by pippinmader; 12-15-2015, 08:27 AM.
                      Build thread

Comment

Nice. Is that your yard?
                        Marc D.
                        If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

SWEET! Sure looks different than the first time I saw it in Woodland.
                          Just a stock 1966 U13, 170 ci 6 cyl, no kiddin'.

Comment

Really nice work man! How are you liking the new axles?

Comment

Thanks guys, we moved to a new place, definitely more bronco friendly with a real shop (not just a garage) and some acreage to play on. So far the axles seem good, no complaints, no weird noises, awesome driveline angles. Although upgraded axles don't really pay off until you don't break them (my dana 30 worked great, right up until it didn't). I will say ARBs are great fun: it drives nice on the street, but I can lock them all up and do 4 wheel slides.

The overall transformation has been fun, the paint is 90% of what people notice, but the mechanical is what I really like. Basically I only painted it so people would notice it enough to ask about the drive train Still have some exhaust leaks to fix and modify the oil pan to clear that huge front differential. Might be doing a snow trip after new years, time to get cracking!
                              Build thread

Comment

New Years snow trip!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X