I caught the LUBR bug!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I caught the LUBR bug!

I got really sick and tired of using my little ass sand blaster and scraping the frame so I took it in to get it professionally done so I could coat the thing. I used Eastwood's Chassis Black spray can kit. The blasting media was a little too course and shows through the paint. Still looks ok, and surely will not peel!

They have a two part mix kit too but I didn't want to mess with my spray equipment. The paint and primer both went on really nice. The coating is already really hard after only one drying day, in cool weather even. Highly recommended.

http://www.eastwood.com/extreme-chas...inish-set.html
    Attached Files
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel View Post
      I got really sick and tired of using my little ass sand blaster and scraping the frame so I took it in to get it professionally done so I could coat the thing. I used Eastwood's Chassis Black spray can kit. The blasting media was a little too course and shows through the paint. Still looks ok, and surely will not peel!

They have a two part mix kit too but I didn't want to mess with my spray equipment. The paint and primer both went on really nice. The coating is already really hard after only one drying day, in cool weather even. Highly recommended.

http://www.eastwood.com/extreme-chas...inish-set.html
      Delta,

So you sprayed it on via rattle can... How many coats and how many cans did it take? Did you consider buying the quarts and applying them with a foam brush?

I bought the same stuff (Quarts and cans) from Eastwood during their big Christmas sale...

Nice job!

Doug
      2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
      1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
      2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
        Delta,

So you sprayed it on via rattle can... How many coats and how many cans did it take? Did you consider buying the quarts and applying them with a foam brush?

I bought the same stuff (Quarts and cans) from Eastwood during their big Christmas sale...

Nice job!

Doug
        2 heavy coats of primer and 3 medium of paint. 4 cans primer and 3 of paint. I tried the hand paint method with Rust Bullet which is essentially the same as POR-15. I didn't like the thick coating look at all plus it was very uneven. I didn't even consider it after the mess i created before. I was after a factory look and would have achieved it if it weren't for the heavy grit on the blasting. I'm not convinced one can get that desired look with hand painting.
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Holy crap, a long time since posting in this thread. Major sidetracked!

I have completed a lot since the last post and no pics have been posted! Chassis is 95 percent done just needing front and rear hubs installed. Motor and trans in it to mock up trans mount. A lot of sanding and paint stripping has been done to the body. I am both chemically and DA stripping the paint on the sheet metal that will be exposed; hood, doors, quarters, etc. The rest will be media blasted before I epoxy it. I have lost motivation on this project so I figure posting some pics might get me moving again. I just have too many car irons in the fire!!

The quarters were DA stripped, but the front fenders were done with aircraft stripper. Way easier than the DA, especially since this is an original paint bronco. The paint just wrinkles and you scrape it off. A few spots needed to be done again, but it's 90 percent first time. The body work will be minimal. The metal is super straight. I am doing a little hammer-dolly-heat shrinking on the fenders but nothing major.

I chose to butt weld the sheet metal seams on the floor pans. That sure created a lot of work opposed to overlapping them then doing hammer and dolly to flatten. the tub will be bed lined in and out so I'm not sure a but weld was needed. I've never done floor pans before. I didn't exactly enjoy it.
          Attached Files

Comment

The blasting and cleaning of the suspension parts really sucked and was dirty as you can see on the concrete but it's done. Everything also coated with Eastwood Chassis black.

King pins rebuilt, all new seals, bearings, etc.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here's how it sits today. Just add some dust to it and the transmission-tcase installed.

Lincoln rear disc conversion with Warn full float in case it's flat towed behind the motor home when we get old.
              Attached Files

Comment

As far as paint, it's not looking like the bronco will be turquoise. I do like that color, but this green bronco really caught my eye and is much less 1957 Chevy. So, it could be headed in this direction, minus a few inches of lift. I read this one has 3.5 suspension, 1" body. I will only have 1" body, no suspension.

He said this color is called Limestone Green Poly. The only problem is, I like this bronco's color. Not all the green poly I have seen. So whether its the way it looks in the pic, or his sealer-primer color, etc. I want this color. Some are way too light limey green and not industrial enough for me.
                Attached Files

Comment

Is that a satin color? Looks like it is from the photo. That changes the color. Do you have the photo or is it from a magazine? Color darkens in print. You might take a pint and play with the color. Darken it. Supray it out n see what you got. It's a old color (57) you can't trust a paint chip that old. Even if it was protected. Color chips still fade. You can ask your paint suplyer to give you a little paint to spray out. Spray it over the same primer color your going to use.

Comment

Nice work! I didn't enjoy the floor pans either. Curious how you did your
                    x-member? Modify the stock one?
                    Last edited by Holt75; 11-11-2014, 06:59 PM.
                    '75 U-15 With a 427 Stroker, blue.
                    '72 U-15 Wheeler/daily driver, green&silver.
                    '66 U-13 Daily driver/wheeler-Sold
                    Projects in waiting,
                    '68 U-15 with a half cab
                    '69 U-15 w/3.5" Duff lift, white.
                    '69 U-15 w/Fox coil overs in front, blue.

Comment

• Re: I caught the LUBR bug!

Damn Carl, you have done some very nice work on that so far. Going to be a sweet ride. I am going to have to stop looking at this forum with all the LUBR action going on lately... I want one.
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

Great work Carl, Hope you get back on it soon.

I know all to well how a death in the Family can side track the best laid plans.
                        2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                        1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                        2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Originally posted by CageDave View Post
                          Is that a satin color? Looks like it is from the photo. That changes the color. Do you have the photo or is it from a magazine? Color darkens in print. You might take a pint and play with the color. Darken it. Supray it out n see what you got. It's a old color (57) you can't trust a paint chip that old. Even if it was protected. Color chips still fade. You can ask your paint suplyer to give you a little paint to spray out. Spray it over the same primer color your going to use.

No, it's just the way the pic looks. Hell, it even looks too drab in this pic now that I look closer. I'll do as you suggested and get samples to spray out.

Comment

Originally posted by Holt75 View Post
                            Nice work! I didn't enjoy the floor pans either. Curious how you did your
                            x-member? Modify the stock one?
                            I haven't done anything. I will build one though. Not too sure I can modify the stock one and keep it clean looking.

Thanks for all the compliments you guys. It's tedious work, but when I get tired and feel like I'm rushing I quit for the day.

Comment

Working...
                            X