Project: Bumper to Bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project: Bumper to Bumper

Well, sold the 1970 Bronc to free up some budget/driveway/wife-points to allow building a Bronc from the ground up.

My 70 was a good truck, but lacked the solidness & highway manners I wanted to make it a good daily driver & long distance family/camping rig. To do what I wanted, I would need to strip it all the way down anyhow. Two things I really liked on the 70 were the Hanson bumpers. So I made it cost effective to sell the truck without them, and keep them for this project.

Goals:
    - Transport my family of four comfortably, safely & reliably in town & on freeway.
    - Provide gear & parts storage for family camping & trail running.
    - Capable enough offroad to run moderately difficult trails. Maybe not Rubicon or Fordyce, but anything this side of those.
    - Waterproof enough to allow winter driving without scuba gear.
    - Look decent enough not to draw the ire of neighbors, but not so good that I would be afraid to scrape it up on the trails.

Parts:
    - Front bumper: Hanson full width with a winch step. May add a hoop.
    - Rear bumper: Hanson double swing-out with the co2 tank bracket I mounted.
    - Frame. Decent shape
    - Front end: EB width HP D44, 4.11 open diff
    - Rear end: EB width sb 9" with 4.11 Detroit, 31sp axles
    - Trans: NP435. Seller rebuilt it 10yrs ago or so, but never ran it
    - Engine: 302. Seller rebuilt it....

Plans:
    - 4"-6" of lift. Some body lift to help with trans clearance.
    - 35"-37" tires
    - Cut fenders & add warflares for tire clearance
    - Aussie locker in front
    - Carburetor for induction.
    - Soft top with removable hard doors. Maybe a hardtop...
    - Fab some creative solutions to meet my somewhat basic, but specific, needs.
    - Benefit from the knowledge & wisdom of the members here, and hopefully give something back that someone else will find useful.

and the adventure begins............

Jay
    Attached Files

It looks like you have the good basics to start from. I'm looking forward to reading and following another good build up thread.

Comment

Excellant...this is going to be a fun one to watch.
      “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

project never ending project

No offence, But I wouldnt wish a groung up restoration on my worst enemy! I'll never, ever, ever do it again! Too much time and money!! That said, HAVE FUN!!!
        Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle dixie?

Comment

New Shoes & Shirt

Silverhorse: I'm not looking to create something as nice as your 74, just something solid. Far from a restoration. Bit by bit is tho only way I'll achieve the truck I want. We'll see how things progess...

In the mean time, found a deal on some treads & sheetmetal:
          Attached Files

Comment

restoration

Your absolutly correct!! You just reminded me why I did it! Looks like your off to a good start, I love those Hanson bumpers!!
            Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle dixie?

Comment

Originally posted by vhlnsk
              .....In the mean time, found a deal on some treads & sheetmetal.....
              What size are those MTR's? I've been looking, but haven't found any (for a good deal).

Galen
              Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
              I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 720Racer
                What size are those MTR's? I've been looking, but haven't found any (for a good deal).

Galen
                Hi Galen,

37x12.50 on 15" rims. Good tread left, $500 on Craigslist SF area. Craigslist has been a good source for me to buy & sell quite a variety of stuff. I like the face-to-face better than the ebay gamble w/shipping.

Jay

Comment

Jay,

I found two 37x12.50x17's on craig's list here in Sac, but that was months ago, and I haven't found any since. I'll keep looking. I figure I can use them as a spare and a back up spare, but I need a few more. I'll keep looking. I'd love to buy FamilyMan's wheels and tires, but they are just out of my budget right now.

Good buy on those skins,

Galen
                  Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                  I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Looking good JAY.... We need to get together and shoot the Shait about the frame up jobs we're doin'! Plus if you ever need a hand.... I have 2.
                    Chris
                    70 EB, Frame up project, NP 435/203/205, FW hp d44, fw 9", EFI 302, Crab cage, Hanson front and rear

Comment

Sounds like a plan Chris, thanks for the offer of "hands" as well. When I get my act together I would sure like to take you up on it.

In the mean time, some %^$#@'er hit-n-run my truck while parked at work.

Damage estimated to be = Cage arms, new front springs & new rear springs. Set back for the time being....
                      Attached Files

Comment

Damn that sucks. It had to be a fairly tall vechicle to hit that high! Let me know when you have some time.
                        Chris
                        70 EB, Frame up project, NP 435/203/205, FW hp d44, fw 9", EFI 302, Crab cage, Hanson front and rear

Comment

I can't believe that some a$$hat hit your truck and didn't even the balls to leave a note with his name and phone number opn it!

That sucks man. Looks like it was just the tailgate and lens that got damaged?

Comment

That really sucks. I hate that $hit. It seems to happen to me all of the time.
                            Especially door dings on my wifes car. ARGH!
                            One thought though, with a truck that big and the low angle of impact, they may not have even known they hit you...

Comment

Stuff happens. Fortunately the damage was limited to the gate & lens.

Likely a semi w/trailer, making a turn into one of the buildings, "didn't feel a thing..."

Could have been much worse

Comment

Working...
                              X