Project 88

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project 88

Ok guys I know most of you are into the EB but my project is a little newer. I have an 88 I believe stock everything except the K&N Air Filter. I found a set of 35" tires for $250 mounted on a 15" rim, which I am running as well. Do you guys think they'll fit? How much lift do you think I would need to get them under? I'm not afraid of cutting as well to get them to fit. I saw an article in Petersen's 4 wheel and off road magazine spot lighting a 1990 Bronco and I am looking to do something similar to that, it was Chris Bishop's rock Bronc. If you guys have any ideas on anything I can put under my truck tp make it trail ready and hopefully fit the 35's I have found.

Re: Project 88

You should find lots of info here:

http://fullsizebronco.com/
    1971 EB: 3.5" 4 link rear, wristed front, 2" body, 96 Explorer 5.0 EDIS EEC-IV, C6, Nissan PS, Hydroboost w/front disks, 4.88 9" w/spool, D44 w/ aussie locker, TRO, 37" MTRs

Comment

Before you spend any $$ on a lift kit, seriously consider a sas. I had an 88 f150 with 35s and a 6" lift. I didn't wheel it but it would rub the rear of the fender going over a curb. Plus the front end allignment sucks ass.
      -Darin
      67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
      69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
      69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
      79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
      67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

I am thinking about getting rid of the twin I beams, or whatever its called, and swapping something in. I put something cause I am not sure what i want to put underneath the truck any recomendations?

Comment

A Dana 44 out of a 78-79 bronco or any fullsize ford 1/2 ton pickup with a straight axle. You can PM Fullsize here as his is an 89 and he did the SAS. He could answer your questions. I think Sillyneck did the work. He would be another one to ask.
          Last edited by kwspony; 05-28-2009, 04:48 PM.
          1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

ok thanks. Hmmm a 78-79 huh?? Well that is pretty nice since my dad will be parting with his 79 this summer, it is a nice rig he just doesnt have the time for it.

I want to make my truck something not only I will be proud of but that other wheelers will be to when they see it. My neighbor and I are planning half doors, we think we have figured out how to keep the power to the doors just need to find a junk set and cut emm up. If any of you guys have any ideas to make this rig totally kick @$$ feel free to email me footballman95826@yahoo.com or message me on here I am up for all ideas.

Comment

It doesn't have to be 78-79 in fact the earlier HP 44 1977 and older are more sought after. Early HP 44 are welded C's rather than the newer cast design from 78 on ward.
              72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Having owned both an 84 full size Bronco and a 79 Bronco, I would just wait till your dad gets rid of his 79 then grab it. I bought my 84 new, wheeled it allot but it was really a road rig and I loved it. After the sun finally rotted the interior and it burnt a valve, I sold it to pick and pull for $150.
                I loved my 79 but decided to go EB only so I sold it for $3500. the 78-79 has a better frame to build from, will clear big tires easy, comes with a HP Dana 44 w/ discs, a good 9" rear end, and the interior won't rot out. Just my opinion.
                Attached Files
                Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

x2 on the 79'
                  69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans

Comment

So let me make sure I am reading properly, you guys are saying if I wanna go with a trail rig I should try to get my old mans 79 and have that be a project instead of having to go through so much on the 88? I have thought about buying it from him cause its an awesome truck I just didnt think it would be good for wheeling because of how big it is. But that is a hell of an idea. Make my 88 the raft transport for trips to the river and convert the 79 into a straight trail rig. hmmmm

Comment

Wheel base is the same between both rigs. The 79 body is a little wide above the fenders compared to the 88 but not by much.
                      Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

After enough trips on the trail they will be the same width.

Comment

Originally posted by 69crawler View Post
                          After enough trips on the trail they will be the same width.
                          LOL, and yep! but the 79 will save you money to wheel with minor upgrades
                          68 Slightly modified
                          67 LUBR once again
                          61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Hmmm now my brain is spinning. I weighed pro's and cons to having two trucks and I think I may take the front end from my dads truck before he sells it that way I have that going for me because right now it has a vacuum leak, a tranny leak, the steering box(I think) stopped working and it barely stays running. Although that does make it seem like a perfect truck for a trail rig...

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Chris_75 View Post
                              Hmmm now my brain is spinning. I weighed pro's and cons to having two trucks and I think I may take the front end from my dads truck before he sells it that way I have that going for me because right now it has a vacuum leak, a tranny leak, the steering box(I think) stopped working and it barely stays running. Although that does make it seem like a perfect truck for a trail rig...
                              I'd go with the '79 as well. I think those perform (and look) so much better than the OJ versions!!! Seems like some minor fixes to have a kick ass '79... What's it got in it for an engine and tranny? I've been thinking of building one for my next project just cause I like the way they look and were only made for 2 years. Only way that will happen is if I talk my 8 yr old into going '78/ '79 route instead of EB for his first rig! I think he's pretty hooked on the EB route though...

my $.02

Fungus
                              sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Working...
                              X