Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 6daze project

Originally posted by 6daze View Post
    Little progress today, 3 year old decided not to nap.

Got the rt side serp pulled off, alternator
    Started draining the PS fluid
    Pulled the upper manifold off, found several cracked vacuum plugs

These will all get tapped and properly plugged before going back on.

I remember the non napping Helpers very well...

Thanks for the pic's of your Hydroboost set up above...
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

The motor is out! I got a good chunk of time today so I was able to hit the junkyard AND finish yanking that beast.

I almost got snagged by the ground wire but caught it just in time. The harbor freight hoist worked great. Just enough room to get it out.

I also picked up my radiator from the shop. For $65 he took off the tanks, rodded it out and checked it for leaks. It should be good to go for a while.

I started cleaning up the lower radiator mounts and found a bit of a problem. The rubber is in poor shape and both metal pieces have rusted through. The sandblaster sure came in handy. I will probably just order up new ones from Tom's.

Also got one of the headers blasted. I am planning on using the high temp header paint. JBA wants $200 to coat them!

And finally a score at the junkyard. I habe been looking for a 4x2 box for years. I have been to these same yards probably 20 times and have never seen one. Today was my lucky day. And thanks to Fungus' advice...I had my BFH with me. Thats the only way it was coming with me!

I will try to put his away for a future project....just so tempting with all that room right now.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by 6daze; 03-02-2011, 08:10 PM.
      71 Bronco
      EFI, ZF, Atlas 4.3, 35" BFG's, Explorer serp, hydroboost, 4 wheel disks, Lars Bars, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch,
      Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Well, the new motor is in! I had a few set backs and spent some time chasing parts...but it came together and we installed the trans and motor over the weekend.

When I did the original EFI install I did not thoroughly clean the lower intake manifold. I decided to remove the "heat stove" (if that is the correct term) and clean behind it. It was actually pretty dirty and had some grit from sandblasting. The rivets came out easily with a chisel and I tapped the holes for 1/4-20 bolts.

The tranny went in for a rebuild. It had never really been apart and didn't have any real problems. My trans guy blew it apart and put bearings and seals in it.

The oil pump and screen that I bought didn't fit...I ended up with a different Explorer pump a tbird screen/pickup.
        Attached Files
        71 Bronco
        EFI, ZF, Atlas 4.3, 35" BFG's, Explorer serp, hydroboost, 4 wheel disks, Lars Bars, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch,
        Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Very nice bud! I bet you can't hardly wait to fire that bad boy up huh!?

Comment

Upper manifold:

I found a couple of cracked vacuum caps on the upper manifold so I decided to tap all the extra holes. I am only using two of the vacuum ports, one for the fuel pressure regulator and one for the PCV. I pulled the metal tubes out of each port and tapped them for a 1\8" NPT plug. Some where very easy and some...well, where not so easy. But I shouldn't need to worry about leaks. There were two small ports that were connected together but did not go through to the manifold.

The second picture I included is from manifold I saw in the junkyard. It is for reference as the vacuum fittings are different. It has in the internal EGR.

Dipstick:

I couldnt get the explorer dipstick to fit...It probably would have been fine if I had remembered to put it in before the motor went it...And the master cylinder went in. It became a tight fit to say the least. I ended up breaking the dipstick while trying to put it in. So I ordered up a Lokar flexible dipstick. I had to unscrew the bottom brass part, slip that in the block and then scew on the rest of the tube. It fit great.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 6daze; 04-13-2011, 07:02 AM.
            71 Bronco
            Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Exhaust.

I had a complete exhaust system built from the headers back when I put the ZF in. It was built around my Bronco oil pan. Unfortunately it was a little too tight as it would not fit around the Explorer pan. In a time crunch, I was able to use "something hydraulic" at work to squeeze the pipe a little bit. This will get me to the exhaust shop for a proper fix.
              Attached Files
              71 Bronco
              Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

That's no worse than what my front driveline has done to mine! I'd run it like it is.

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                  That's no worse than what my front driveline has done to mine! I'd run it like it is.
                  Thanks, I might just do that! My exhaust shop is going to bend up my Lars Bars though...

Fan shroud:

I decided to remake the fan shroud extension. I went back to my favorite metal supply shop for a scrap piece of aluminum. This time I ended up with a piece .060 thick. I used my first shroud as a template but the new one is longer and wider. Cut with a jig saw and smoothed out with a scotchbrite. This piece set me back $14.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by 6daze; 04-13-2011, 08:42 PM.
                  71 Bronco
                  Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

In a time crunch, I was able to use "something hydraulic" at work to squeeze the pipe a little bit.
                    Either you're a fire fighter or you have some really big channel-locks to leave those teeth marks in your cross-over pipe.
                    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

• Re: 6daze project

Shroud installed:
                      Attached Files
                      71 Bronco
                      Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Shroud installed:
                        Very nice... Any concern with the upper hose rubbing against the aluminum once the cooling system pressurizes?

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
                          Very nice... Any concern with the upper hose rubbing against the aluminum once the cooling system pressurizes?
                          Its actually not touching, but very close. I am more concerned with the upper hose touching the pulley. The explorer serp just does not work well with a stock radiator....for me.
                          Attached Files
                          71 Bronco
                          Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

When I was mocking up the throttle body and EGR delete plate I found the source of a vaccum leak. I used a gasket in between the upper manifold and the delete plate. This allowed just a little bit of air in the manifold, behind the MAF. This explains an issue that I was having with the original EFI install. To fix it I used a little bit of RTV between the upper and plate and called it good. I still used the gasket between the throttle body and delete plate.

First pic is the (top to bottom) Throttle body, gasket, EGR delete plate, upper manifold.

Second pic is the gasket I used.
                            Attached Files
                            71 Bronco
                            Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Its actually not touching, but very close. I am more concerned with the upper hose touching the pulley. The explorer serp just does not work well with a stock radiator....for me.
                              Ah yes, I see now!

Comment

Fuel Lines:

I went with BC prebent fuel lines back when I converted to EFI. They didnt fit very well for me but I chalked it up to having the entire drivetrain installed and the Atlas nearly touching the framerail. So with the engine and trans out, I fugured it would be easy to reinstall the lines.

Still not easy. Again mostly my fault of course.

I have a cage upper trac bar mount that is in the way of where the lines terminate...

The first hole is nearly impossible to tap with the body and coil bucket in the way....

There is no room for the lines to run between the Atlas and frame, had to go over top...

So unless I had a completely stock Bronco with the body off the frame...I would have been better off bending my own. Still a good product but didnt work well for me.

Here are some pics from FFF of the white frame-off the BC did.
                                Attached Files
                                71 Bronco
                                Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Working...
                                X