6daze project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 6daze project

Thanks 904, glad someone is watching over me! Any comments, suggestions, life experiences, etc. are welcome...

Laid out the harness, ended up pulling some of the fuel lines so I could get the harness underneath them. This was only on the left side and due to my explorer fuel rails and braided lines. The harness sits lower and doesn't get in the way of the upper manifold.

On the right side the harness fit best underneath the heater valve. I could have run it on top along the firewall but it was cleaner underneath.

Pics
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 6daze; 01-26-2009, 06:32 PM.
    71 Bronco
    EFI, ZF, Atlas 4.3, 35" BFG's, Explorer serp, hydroboost, 4 wheel disks, Lars Bars, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch,
    Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Originally posted by 6daze View Post
      ...a little AR but FFMDX will be proud

Approval from the King of AR (904.....)is a mighty feat!!! The good thing about it, is that it makes you "do it right the 'first' time". My level is nowhere near the King's, but it gives me something to shoot for! Right Doug??

PS: X2 on the kid thing!
      '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Drilled the hole on the firewall for the harness...got a little lucky...

I started with the drivers side 1.5" hole....about .25" from the "rib" on the firewall. I used the template included with the RJM instructions. I was barely high enough to clear the stock heater!

To do it again I would go as high as possible, .25-.5 below the top of the firewall, and farther towards the passenger side. This would help with the length of harness that is in the passenger compartment. So far I am somewhat limited in my computer mounting locations and inertia switch placement.

Also would have been nice to have a 90 degree 60 pin connector. It would have been much easier to stuff it through that hole! Oh well, hopefully I won't have to do it again.
        Attached Files
        71 Bronco
        EFI, ZF, Atlas 4.3, 35" BFG's, Explorer serp, hydroboost, 4 wheel disks, Lars Bars, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch,
        Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Nice work man. It looks like a real nice clean install. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Figured out the relays, anyone know what each fuse does?

I pulled this little bracket off a car we were cutting up at work. It held all the car's relays on the firewall. Fits great!

Please ignore all those battery cables....my painless dual battery system needs a cleaning.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 6daze; 01-26-2009, 07:30 PM.
            71 Bronco
            Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

coolant tubes

I am using the Explorer tubes due to the nice 90 degree bends at the ends. FFMDX had an extra set so I picked them up for a song (thanks Sean!)

Of course I found a set in my local junkyard just after I received them....got an extra set.

I had to mod them for the ECT with the ole tap. I used a step drill to make a hole just big enough for the tap to start and tapped away. It was very easy and only cost $10 for the tap.

In mocking them up, the portion that threads down into the manifold was at a slight angle. I set this in my vise and gave the tubes a small crank to lessen the angle. After that they threaded in fine and the mounting hole was lined up with the bolt in the manifold (the tubes use one manifold bolt for mounting). We will see if it leaks....

Sean very nicely connected the two small nipples together. I believe these were for the EGR that I am not using. You can see that just to the right of the ECT in the first pic.

The ECT plug barely reaches the ECT when using these tubes. That is due to the Mustang ECT being closer to the middle of the tubes, rather than at the end like the Explorer. It works but is tight.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by 6daze; 01-27-2009, 04:22 PM.
              71 Bronco
              Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Nice job. Keep the pix coming!
                '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

pedal mods

Before I get into hooking up all the sensors I decided to make the pedal mods. This is also somewhat dictated by the fact that with the upper manifold on, it will be a pain in the a$$ to unbolt the pedal assembly. Unfortunately I backed the Bronco into the garage for this project with the driver's door almost touching the wall. I had to leave room for the wife's ride.

Needless to say getting to the pedal is a Beyotch! It is bolted in with three bolts through the firewall. Well all three were nearly frozen on from the oil, PS fluid, and whatever else has been on the firewall for 35 years! Doing this alone, from the passenger side, without a decent locking wrench was not fun. But I finally got it off...

I followed the well documented and proven Lars mods. I cut out all those articles from Bronco Driver a couple years ago..also available on the RJM site.

I started by cutting 1" off the top of the pedal rod. I didn't have any heat readily available so I just pounded it flat with a BFH. It is suprisingly soft and flattened easily. Next drilled an 11/32" hole, hacksawed a hole into it and opended just a tad with a chisel.

I cut the rod a little too short We will see if it causes me any problems.

My 11/32" hole is also a tad to one side might redo this before I have problems...

Cut one inch out of the bracket, no issues, hacksaw and weld it up.

Cut rod near pedal and lengthen 2". Lars used a short section of 1/4 water pipe. I scrounged around but ended up just buying a 3" nipple from the hardware store. I drilled it out to 3/8" (took out very little metal) and it slid right on the rod. I tacked one side and then mocked it up in the Bronco for the other. This again was difficult because I can't open the driver's door. Lined it up the best I could, marked it and welded it up.

While I am not a good welder, I do have some time grinding So the mods look decent IMHO.

I did need to drill a small hole in the bracket to bolt up the mustang cable, fits like it belongs there.

I bolted the pedal up and will just modify as needed once she is running. I will also need to drill another hole in the bracket as this mod eliminates one of the stock holes.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by 6daze; 01-27-2009, 07:12 PM.
                  71 Bronco
                  Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

harness

Following RJM instructions, I removed the last bolt on the passenger side lower manifold. I retorqued this and all the other bolts to spec. I had removed the next bolt foward for the coolant tubes so it was a good time to torque all of them. This is where the ground attaches. Next I connected the fuel injector connectors.

Next up was the ECT (in the coolant tubes) and the ACT. My lower manifold did not have the boss to drill and tap for the ACT. So I am putting the ACT in the stock air tube in between the MAF and throttle body. This is the stock location for this Explorer. In later year Explorers they were also combined with the MAF in one package.

I cut off the ACT plug and soldered on new wires. I extended these over to the MAF and soldered on the Explorer ACT plug.

The ACT just slids into a port in the tube. Another option is to use the Mustang ACT in a metal air tube. Weld a bung on the outside and you are good to go.

The temp guage uses the stock Bronco sender. The RJM harness plug slides over the post of the sender. Of course my sender is too small.
                    I might try a mustang sender before I cut up the harness again.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by 6daze; 01-30-2009, 04:51 PM.
                    71 Bronco
                    Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

oil presssure, 02 sensors

Oil pressure plug utilizes the factory sender in front of the #5 cylinder. It hooked right up and was long enough.

I looked everywhere for 02 sensors and finally picked up a pair at Pep Boys. They were reasonable at $40 each and where Bosch. They did not have an 8" pigtail hawever. They barely reached the connectors.

When the ZF went in I had purchased used JBA shorties of CL. A local shop bent me up a 2 into 1 setup with a Magnaflow muffler. I was supposed to have them weld in the bungs then but forgot. So I pulled the Y pipe and brought it down to the shop. They weled in the bungs for free and threw in some bolts until I was ready for this conversion. IIRC the sensors should be somewhat at an angle in the tubes, 3" from the collector.

The sensors came with a little anti-seize so I just screwed them in.

Pics of the bolts in the bungs.
                      Attached Files
                      71 Bronco
                      Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

VSS, fuel pump power, coil, body harness

I am starting off without the VSS. I think I am running a manual transmission computer (8LG is not on Ryan's site) so I should be OK. If not BC or Nevada Speedometer can hook me up with a cable to attach to the Atlas.

So for now I just coiled up the VSS wires and secured them to the driver's fenderwell.

I ran the red fuel pump power wire down the frame rail and to the BC tank. I crimped and shrink wrapped on a female spade connector and attached it to the tank. This would have been much easier with the tank on the ground!

I bolted the coil to the driver's fenderwell. My junkyard coil came with a small bracket. I unbolted the coil from this bracket, turned it backwards and bolted it back up. This allowed me to use the two threaded holes in the bracket. This might allow the coil to bounce a little but I will revisit once she is on the road.

I currently still using the stock body harness so I simply used the supplied 3 pin connector to connect the existing harness to the EFI harness. These are the oil pressure, temp and ignition run connections.
                        Attached Files
                        71 Bronco
                        Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

distributor

I picked up a cheap junkyard distributor that I was planning on using for my conversion. It was from a 5.0 car but I don't remember what. I also have no idea if it was a steel or cast iron gear. I needed iron for my non-roller cam. After reading about other people's issues with replacing the gear I decided to pick up a reman unit. Kragen here (parts america) sells a unit with module for about $100 ($50 core).

I have also read about these TFI units failing so I plan on keeping a spare in the rig.

My reman did need part of the junkyard distributor however. There is a piece of plastic that bolts down to the distributor and the cap snaps onto. Two phillips head screws hold in onto the distributor. It can only go on one way, hard to screw up.

I had put cylinder #1 in TDC before pulling everything so I just dropped the new unit in its place. The harness just plugs right into the TFI. I left the bolt loose for adjusting the timing.

I need to spring for a new cap, rotor and wires. Now is the time.
                          Attached Files
                          71 Bronco
                          Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

With those dist you just have to line up the pick up with the tang at the amount of initial timing you want and its done.. clamp it down!!
                            72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                            BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                            RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/sp...n_______va.htm

I bought this cable, vss, pigtail, gear, and retaining clip: better price than I could put together locally...

Go to almost the last page, last speedo cable they sell, part #7300 @ $104.00

Coming along nicely!
                              Last edited by 904Bronco; 02-01-2009, 08:38 AM.
                              2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                              1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                              2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
                                http://www.transmissioncenter.net/sp...n_______va.htm

I bought this cable, vss, pigtail, gear, and retaining clip: better price than I could put together locally...

Go to almost the last page, last speedo cable they sell, part #7300 @ $104.00

Coming along nicely!
                                Thanks 904! Which gear are you running? 33's right?
                                71 Bronco
                                Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Working...
                                X