86 Front 98 rear Dana 60's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 86 Front 98 rear Dana 60's

Well I got my 60s the front is a 1979 Ford HP King Pin, the rear is a 1998 Dodge. Plans are to fill both with 5.13 gears,and 1350 yokes the front will have an ARB will need new rotors calipers and King Pins. TRO the steering Rod ends or Tie rods ?( what do you think) Heavy duty Dif. cover, Cage weld on. http://www.cageoffroad.com/product_d...=266&itemid=75
    The rear will get a 35 spline Detroit Locker with Compleat Off Road 35 spline axles. Should not have to bore the tubes out a Dana 70 35 spline axle will slide in and my bore is bigger than the 70. And Dic Brakes http://www.tsmmfg.com/ If any one has better ideas please let me know

Brian
    Reason for Editing:
    SELLING the 86 Dana going with a 1979 Dana 60.
    Last edited by Bronco Brian; 03-17-2013, 02:57 PM.
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Sounds like a good plan. Just curious why you are going to mount the Duff Arms out-board of the frame? Why not just put them on the frame?

Comment

[QUOTE=crawlin68;40985]Just curious why you are going to mount the Duff Arms out-board of the frame? QUOTE]

Was thinking it would help with the V angle. How well does yours work mounted to the frame?
      After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Mine seems to work great. What "V" angle are you referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
          What "V" angle are you referring to?
          Mounted to the frame than angled out to the axle they will spred more at full width than EB width ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Brian View Post
            Mounted to the frame than angled out to the axle they will spred more at full width than EB width ?
            Yes they have to spread a little wider because of the newer housing that you have. But the hiem joint at the frame will handle that just fine. I would mount them under the frame and keep your side tank. Unless you're going to cut off your rockers for more ground clearance. Then you will loose your tank anyway.

Comment

So you are saying I need to take them OFF and remount, them seam like a lot of work for nothing LOL. I will leave well enought alone for I would like to keep my side tank and just go tube rockers.

Brian

Comment

Mock it up first.
                Unless you have a great deal of back spacing on you rig (great deal meaning low numbers, IE your super wide!) you would rub the arms when turning.
                If you don't mount them on the side of your frame just so they don't hang down low.
                Mark Harris
                71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Another option I have had in mind since 78-79 D60s are gettin harder to find for a reasonable price, is take that 86 front and retube to 78-79 specs?

Comment

Gears & Lockers

Well while the site was down look what what I picked up from UPS you can't see

The last one is my early Fathers Day Gift A new BBQ for if any of you guys ever come wheeling in my neck of the woods I can feed ya at the end of the day. I Think I can get 20 about Tri-Tips on there
                    Attached Files

Comment

Brian, you are going to be very busy with all those new parts!

The 'que looks good too... I keep eyeing them every time I see them. Bronco parts purchases keep pre-empting anything related to the house though...
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

Dana 60 spindle repair

My rear 60 has not lived a kind life someone tryed taking the spindle nut off with out removing the locking keeper. So it messed up the threads so Jim Whaley one of the guys I deliver to has this company called Chase EM Back Tools http://www.chaseembacktools.com/index.htm It opens up so you can use on a stud. It won't cut threads just rolls them back. He let me demo one thought I would share. It worked SWEET!!!The last pic is of my helper and Camera man tonight. YUP Baby Siting (Got to pay for the Bronco build some how) LOL
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Bronco Brian; 08-18-2008, 05:40 PM. Reason: Found web site

Comment

THAT is pretty cool tool. One of those that you wouldn't use all the time, but when you need it....YOU NEED IT!

Comment

Hey Brian, just curious how the front D60 install is going. I've been searching for a 78-79 D60 for while and haven't found one for less than $1500. I would like to narrow one to around 63-64" WMS to WMS.
                            Do you think you could measure your 86 D60 from the driver wheel mounting surface to the pinion for me? I'm trying to get an idea how it will sit.
                            Thanks,
                            Steve
                            69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

my 1988 HPD60 is around 23.25 inches to the center of pinion
                              69 bronco, 72 bronco, 66 vert stang

Comment

Working...
                              X