No announcement yet.

Project in the mind-set! Can't decide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project in the mind-set! Can't decide.

Well for any of you that know me or have talked to me for more than two minutes know I have a slite problem with projects. I just have to many of then and before finishing one I am already building the next few in my head ( or shop, out of turn). I am getting close on my EB buggy and all the designing is finished so it is just a matter of doing the work.

So now I am thinking about my 71 EB with 56K miles and the only mod was the PO cut the rear fenders. I have already (out of turn) removed the passenger side rear quarter so I could replace it with a stock un-cut set I have. I just can not decide what to do with the EB. I do know it will not be an off road EB any more. One idea is to build a two wheel drive street rod EB but I already have a 71 chevy short bed fleet side truck that is body dropped, bagged and mini tubbed for a street rod toy. Now I am stuck between option one being a stock looking EB with EFI and some type of OD trans and use it for heading to the store or up to the snow for a ski week end.
    Option two is do a 3.5" lift and run 33's and still un-cut rear fender. Then I am thinking about trying the nv3500 5spd for good street shifting. I had a nv4500 in my last EB and never really liked the shifting of it and from what I have read the 3500 is more of a car shifting trans. It would have springs that are stiffer than most for less body roll in the corners and maybe 17" rims as well.

Any way I go it will have PS, PB, CC, AC, Tilt, great sound system and nice plush interior and fuel injection. Motor ideas have ranged from a 4.3, AOD and newer chevy Tcase with push button shift to a newer explorer 5.0L with eather an AOD or 5spd.

The curent set up is a 302 2bbl, 3 on the tree, T shift dana 20, stock size tires and I belive 4:11 gears. All this is in a almost bone stock second owner totally rust free EB.

So what would some of you guy or gals wnat to do with this ride?

Sorry but I was up late and could not sleep... Kevin
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rokcrln; 01-06-2006, 09:52 PM.
    71 EB 56K original miles stock for now!

73 EB/rock buggy 351W EFI, Art Car C-4 manual VB w/ comp braking, 37 MTR's, 4-Link F&R, Fox Air 16", Full Hydro and now it runs!

51 F1 PU with MII front end, T-Bird IRS

70 C10 SWB, 92 LT1 vett motor, 700R4, power everything, great driving street rig.

I would love to build an uncut EB to drive as a grocery getter and Sunday truck. Because it is rust free and in really nice shape to begin with, it would be a perfect candidate to build one. Maybe upgrade the engine to 5.0 and auto tranny for a nice easy and reliable drivability. Leave it 4WD though. Then you have your buggy to go hard core wheeling in. Best of both worlds! Just my .02.

Comment

Yes the buggy is for rock bashing and the 71EB will only be for street and snow roads. I have a 302 in their now and I may just top it with 5.0L efi ( since my motor only has 56K on it). I just don't know if I want an auto or 5spd. What kind of luck have people beed having with the AOD and what one works out the best? I wonder just what size tire I can fit with a 3.5" lift and un-cut? Here is a link (or pic if it works) to one I really like! The red one just looks great with stock chrome bumpers and un-cut but it may be a bit taller than I want for a street rig. Or not

http://classicbroncos.com/photos/dat...03DSC08213.JPG

What do you think they are? 35, 36"?
      Kevin

73 EB/rock buggy 351W EFI, Art Car C-4 manual VB w/ comp braking, 37 MTR's, 4-Link F&R, Fox Air 16", Full Hydro and now it runs!

70 C10 SWB, 92 LT1 vett motor, 700R4, power everything, great driving street rig.

Comment

Originally posted by Rokcrln
        Yes the buggy is for rock bashing and the 71EB will only be for street and snow roads. I have a 302 in their now and I may just top it with 5.0L efi ( since my motor only has 56K on it). I just don't know if I want an auto or 5spd. What kind of luck have people beed having with the AOD and what one works out the best? I wonder just what size tire I can fit with a 3.5" lift and un-cut? Here is a link (or pic if it works) to one I really like! The red one just looks great with stock chrome bumpers and un-cut but it may be a bit taller than I want for a street rig. Or not

http://classicbroncos.com/photos/dat...03DSC08213.JPG

What do you think they are? 35, 36"?
        Kevin

I think those are 31's on black and 33's on red.. Looks good though!! If you have a bronco in that good of condition DO NOT Hack it up... They are harder and harder to find!! Make it a Sunday car and enjoy it!! Can you find some Uncut rear fenders and make it look stock?

I would love to buy my wife a stock Bronco and keep mine for the trails..

Aaron
        KK6DAD
        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

I think the best idea would be to sell it to me as is!! Sweet Bronco! Its identical to my first one.
          Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle dixie?

Comment

Can you find some Uncut rear fenders and make it look stock?

I would love to buy my wife a stock Bronco and keep mine for the trails..

Aaron[/QUOTE]

I have already started the prosses.

Kevin

Also check out what I found on my front portch today when I got home. The original owners manual and a copy right 1974 chiltons manual all from the orignal owner of my EB. Got to love small towns!
            Attached Files

Comment

Love the idea of a weekend cruiser Kevin. EFI and an auto would be my choice. Don't want to shift if I don't have too, can hold my Starbucks. Keep it 4 wheel drive (like you said "snow runs"). I like the idea of stiffer springs so it would handle on the road better. Are you intending on it looking completely stock (bumpers, trim , etc) just a little higher and some 33's. Hey how about a different t-case one with an electric gear changer (push of a button). I am sure it would be strong enough and would make a clean interior with just a shifter for the auto. Could build a cool center console with a built in TV for the future kids or mount your rear seats way back and it could be for you and your friends. If you are going to keep the top, then I would run full AC/heat like the vintage air set-up, very clean and $$$$. Wow I may have to find me a stocker and get to work (LOL). Anyway can't wait to see what you decide on but get to work on the buggy and get it finished so I can see you tear it up this summer . FM
              Last edited by Familyman; 01-09-2006, 09:20 AM.
              72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
              1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

Well, if I had my choice and money not being an option...

Stock suspension with upgrades..
                Moog +10% front springs, bilstein shocks, rear stock+ Deavers; all rubber bushings front and rear.

5.0 Mild build
                E40D Auto; Computer controlled with the EECIV A9P CPU
                Atlas 4.3 (not for the low gears, but for the heli cut gears)
                3:73 Gears, ARBs front and rear for shits and giggles
                4 wheel discs with anti loc brake valves with power
                31" Toyos
                18" wheels

Pimp interior with a sound system from hell/custom dash, column, ...
                Electric windows
                Power locks
                Tinted windows with hard top side sliders
                WH stainless front windshield and lower mounted wipers

Custom front bumper made to look like the WH plate bumper but smaller and cleaner. Matching rear bumper
                9500ti winch

Custom paint
                shaved handles, fuel covers, and molded rear quarters to match doors.

Plus whatever ense I could think of.

This is what I am going to do to my 1976 Land Cruiser...when I get the time and $$
                “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Yes Chuck it will be an all stock exterior look just higher. As far as the auto and electric shift T-case I am realy thinking about going with a 4.3 or 5.3 (v6 or v8) chevy set up. Great motor, tranny, non-full time T-case all for about $2500 ready to run. Problem with going ford is a newer 5.0L with low miles would be out of an explorer and they do not make a harness for swaping and the t-case is full time 4x.

Chuck, are you done with the bender die's? Time to get back to bending in the shop!

Kevin

Comment

No but I will get them by. I also need to drop off the shirts. Thanks - FM
                    72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
                    1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

Well we wnt up to Tahoe this week end in my 2wd PSD and it snowed 12-14" at the cabin. I had to dig out and chain up just to jet down the hill to the main road. The entire week end was spent building the EB in my head once again. This is what I came up with.

1. Stock body and bumpers
                      2. 5.3L w/AOD and push button T-case (this may require some frame work)
                      Reasons for chevy, great power trains, low cost and you can get them out of new wrecked truck with almost no miles. Easy install and easy to wire up. I concidered the v8 exploier but last I new their was not an after market wiring harness and their T-case is full time 4x4.
                      3. Is a 3.5" lift and 31" tires mounted on 17" rims. Suspention set up for road use more then off road.
                      3. ARB's front and rear
                      4. AC and heat from a modern set up like vintage air.
                      5. Plush interior (door panels, head liner, Dyno mat and carpet, good sterio system)
                      6. CC, PB, PS, Tilt and column shift and maybe PW.
                      7. Good alarm with a remote start function for those cold days in the snow.

So what am I missing?

Comment

I dont think all V8 explorers are fulltime as my buddies 92 have manual shift levers.

Comment

Originally posted by Rokcrln
                          Well we wnt up to Tahoe this week end in my 2wd PSD and it snowed 12-14" at the cabin. I had to dig out and chain up just to jet down the hill to the main road. The entire week end was spent building the EB in my head once again. This is what I came up with.

1. Stock body and bumpers
                          2. 5.3L w/AOD and push button T-case (this may require some frame work)
                          Reasons for chevy, great power trains, low cost and you can get them out of new wrecked truck with almost no miles. Easy install and easy to wire up. I concidered the v8 exploier but last I new their was not an after market wiring harness and their T-case is full time 4x4.
                          3. Is a 3.5" lift and 31" tires mounted on 17" rims. Suspention set up for road use more then off road.
                          3. ARB's front and rear
                          4. AC and heat from a modern set up like vintage air.
                          5. Plush interior (door panels, head liner, Dyno mat and carpet, good sterio system)
                          6. CC, PB, PS, Tilt and column shift and maybe PW.
                          7. Good alarm with a remote start function for those cold days in the snow.

So what am I missing?

Super Charger...
                          “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomEB
                            I dont think all V8 explorers are fulltime as my buddies 92 have manual shift levers.
                            I believe 92 would have been a V6.

Rokcrln,

Have you considered an explorer V8, AOD and a D20?

Galen
                            Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                            I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 720Racer
                              I believe 92 would have been a V6.

Rokcrln,

Have you considered an explorer V8, AOD and a D20?

Galen
                              I have but the problem is I want one with low miles and that leaves me with a newer explorer V8 that is crank trigger ignition and like I mentioned they do not have after market harnes's for them from what I have found. Also I like the d20 for a off road rig but it has alot to be desired for a quite up to date street rig.

As far as a supercharger can we all say Whipple!

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X