Ugliest Bronco ever? - aka Jeep FC-170

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugliest Bronco ever? - aka Jeep FC-170

Does it count as a bronco if I use bronco parts? Ended up with a 1964 (or maybe 1965) jeep FC-170. And bought a second cab for it with the idea of putting two together and making a 4-door. I might have been a little optimistic about how hard that would be.

I think the orange one was a government vehicles - it looks like it was forest service green originally and then painted Oregon DOT orange after. The green cab was originally red and was likely a fire truck, later it was painted OD and has a McLellan AFB sticker.

Anyway - this FC has:
    • A dana 53 rear axle with 4.88 stock gears that is complete
    • A dana 44 front closed knuckle that is missing gears and maybe some of the brake parts?
    • Transfer case may have been a dana 18, or may have been a 20. I got a dana 20 from a Wagoneer with it.
    • The engine is a "super hurricane" flathead straight 6. It is actually a continental build engine which was used in some other jeeps, some dodges, and come commercial applications like welders and combines.
      • The engine is fairly complete, it turns over buy is missing the starter, points, condenser, plug wires etc. Also it doesn't even come with an oil filter!
    • Missing the bed - anyone have a jeep truck bed layout around?
    Next - what should I do with it? Leave it stock and dump money into it and see if I can get it running? Go crazy with engine swap and chassis swap to something much newer?
    Click image for larger version  Name:	hauling down 2.png Views:	0 Size:	28.0 KB ID:	317404 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3955.JPG Views:	0 Size:	613.1 KB ID:	317400 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3954.JPG Views:	0 Size:	639.1 KB ID:	317401 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3959.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	367.6 KB
ID:	317408 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3956.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	453.2 KB
ID:	317407 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3961.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	483.4 KB
ID:	317406
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pippinmader; 07-30-2021, 10:06 AM.
    Build thread

Cab swap onto something newer. Maybe a Van chassis? Bronco drivetrain. Flatdeck it!

Comment

LS motor. Go crazy.
      1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
      I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Originally posted by Lars View Post
        LS motor. Go crazy.
        Better yet Coyote power. Especially if you can get a 6.2…

Comment

Engine swap to V8 for sure. A chassis swap might make everything easier. Then all you need t do is make some cab mounts to mount the cab to the new chassis. Putting the two cabs together to make a crew cab would awesome!

Comment

Ok, I agree, update to something newer with more power!

Options that come to mind are:
            • 2001 explorer 5.0 engine with a superduty or 1970s f150 chassis - I have the explorer already, and the engine is nice and small to fit "inside the cab" of the fairly small FC.
            • Ford ecoboost - A friend of mine wants me to put it on a f-150 chassis with a 3.5 ecoboost (maybe a wrecked raptor!) but those are probably expensive.
            • Chevy LS and chassis - I did also consider looking for a escalade with aluminum 6.2 LS - but I am more of a Ford guy.
            • Super duty 6.2 - I was on Facebook marketplace the other day and a guy has a 2011 f-250 6.2 gas truck that he wants $2500 for the whole thing. It has a lot of front end damage and he says it is high mileage, but it runs and has a title so that might be a good option? Would a OHC engine fit? Cutting down the frame would be fairly easy and it has all the hardware (fuel tank, steering etc). I don't need anymore junk vehicles at the house!

What do you think?
            Last edited by pippinmader; 08-02-2021, 05:16 PM.
            Build thread

Comment

I don't know much about the FC chassis, but I tend to think that with regards to bang for the buck that a modern chassis swap would be your best bet. You could end up with a complete factory engineered suspension, modern axles, maybe even antilock brakes and fancy traction control etc.

An ecoboost could be fun, I like the 3.5 ecoboost in my 2016 F150 a lot. An LS is tempting because well.. they're everywhere and there's tons of aftermarket support (though I am sure a coyote or a dodge hemi could be equally fun)

1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

All of those options sound interesting and fun. The one thing I'll note is: size matters. The FC is damn small. If you go modern V-8 (or possibly Ecoboost V-6) you'll eat up a lot of cab room because of the wide engine. There's a reason that boutique car manufacturers, including the likes of Sunbeam (Tiger) used small block Fords. Because they are small. But I agree on the modern chassis thing. My first truck was a 1948 Willys pickup. Stuffed a 283 Chevy in it. The engine fit ok eventually but the frame, suspension, axles, were primitive even by the standards of the day. I wound up swapping in the drivetrain from an early 60's 3/4 ton Chevy 4x4 truck, but even so it was still scary.
                1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Working...
                X