Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's been years and years...someone needs to finish this for me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's been years and years...someone needs to finish this for me.

So, I started my frame off restoration about 21 years ago. I put a boatload of money into it when I was young, single and started making money I didn't have a better use for. I had a friend's shop to work out of...until I didn't and it's been sitting ever since.

I've come to a point where I realize that I'll never finish it. I have 2 kids and no way to do it.

I have most major parts. Seriously built Mustang EFI engine never even been turned over.

There seem to be a lot of shops in socal that do projects like this. Are there any good shops in Norcal that do? I'll haul it down there if it makes the most sense, but man, what a pain...especially at a time like this.

Any help and guidance appreciated.

FYI, I used to post all the time on these forums. Had my own Bronco web page set up with pics and progress. So sad I never finished!

Anyway, here's a pic of my engine and one of my frame with some stuff on it... looking through all my backups to find good pics.

Call Cage Dave Virga, Virga Customes 916/792-9481. He does work for a lot of us here on NorCal Broncos.

Comment

So I will start off by saying I don't know of any shops in SoCal... And paying an hourly rate can be brutal at a shop. Not to mention trying to keep an eye on them from afar. There are horror stories about owners taking their projects somewhere and then they languish as the shop tries to work it in with other projects that make more money - Body shops come to mind.
      All of us here, would agree that life gets in the way of projects, I would say that most of us have been there.

Where in Norcal do you live? That can make a difference on making recommendations

You need to give some more details to define the scope of the project... I see a motor and a suspension done, what about the rest of the stuff, Body, Transmission, t-case, rewire, mods you want done, etc?. As an example, putting a body back on a frame and restoring a body to go back on the frame is different.
      Cage Dave is doing a 77 Frame off now, in between roll cage work... I am booked up with rewires and starting a frame off on my own rig. I believe Andrew Norton of Baja Broncos and Jim-Go are also busy with projects. But maybe we can get you pointed in the right direction to get this long term project finished and on the road.

Doug.
      Last edited by 904Bronco; 08-13-2020, 06:54 AM.
      2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
      1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
      2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Yeah, I did most of my work in a bodyshop and saw projects sitting... I really don't want that!

I'm in the South Bay Area (Los Gatos) and yes, it would be ideal to be able to to check out the progress here and there.

Status, as far as I can remember:
        1) Body is roughly done. Finish bodywork needs to be completed. I had to replace some panels due to rust and also integrated some flares that I thought would be cool. Who knows, but it it's bad. I remember spending a lot of time on the tailgate latch as I didn't like the stock one. Since I was working on my project in a bodyshop, I would take parts from shop trucks to find something that would work and could never find the right thing. Prob shoulda just left it alone. I think I shaved to door handles, but not sure how much I'd like that now. I have a fiberglass hood, but no idea how good it is and don't think I have hinges for it. My thoughts as a young kid are certainly different than my now 46 yo thoughts.
        2) Will need brakes finalized. I had front disc brakes and I designed a bracket for the rear and had a shop make them, but looks like there are better options now days. Need all brake lines.
        3) I took the wiring harness from the mustang I took the engine from and I drover it for a but, but I remember having a company on my to-buy list for a new harness that's better integrated. Gotta find that info
        4) Tranny is a rebuilt AOD with a custom torque converter. Haven't tried it yet...who knows.
        5) I had a sheet metal guy do up a new dash for me and I have all custom gauges for it...I think.
        6) I had thoughts for the grill, but don't know if I did anything. That 2021 Bronco grill is nice looking.

Not sure what else. Need fuel lines--have an efi fuel tank.

Didn't post body pics because had a tough time finding them. Here are a couple but nothing recent. It's not with me now, otherwise I could take a few new ones. It's sitting in a garage about 20 minutes away.

Appreciate the help!

Ben

Comment

Sorry I don't sign on here that often anymore... Sounds like your best bet might be to chat with Dave regarding the body work needed. One it is done some reassembly can occur.

Everyone is busy, or stressed out with C-19, or the Fires right now. A great year it has been, not!

Recognize that once you get started again, it will take some time. As Vendors are having supply issues and shipping can take for what seems like forever. I am having this issue in finishing one of my current projects. Keep checking in with progress reports, maybe the rest of us locals might get some free time to help?

Comment

I've been freaking out... the house my Bronco is in is in the fire evacuation zone. The house is insured and I just assumed that insurance would cover the Bronco in the garage. Nope.

Was able to add a policy to my existing State Farm policies just for the Bronco so it's covered. I'll need it anyway, so hey. So relieved.

Hope none of you are in the fire zone.

Stay safe!

Comment

Glad you checked...

I had to call the owner of the car I am working on, if it is fully insured? Why? Well I only have 3 drivers here at the house, so if I get little notice, it might get left here.

She called back an hour later and said thank you, it wasn't but is now. Her agent asked what about the Bronco, she said what? It has lapsed... The call was a good one for her.

Comment

Ok, two more years gone by...I sat on Dave Virga's list for over a year and now he finally has my project and we are back on after a 23-24 year hiatus!

Wow, there is sooo much more stuff available these days than there used to be which is gonna hurt my wallet even more!

Comment

Dave will take care or her and get things right...

Comment

Just remembered about my old thread and thought I should post a pic...I cannot stop looking at this picture. Dave has done some seriously great work as far as I can tell!

Comment

Glad to see you making progress. Dave is the best. You are going to have one great looking Bronco.

Comment

That paint job looks GREAT!
                        {o===o}
                        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                        EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                        Originally posted by CityHick
                        I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Love the color. Nice.

Comment

Working...
                          X