My new project.....The Rock Rat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new project.....The Rock Rat

This is sort of Bronco related, so I hope you guys don't mind me posting it here. As most of you know, for the past few years I've been wheeling a full size 79 Bronco. I love this Bronco and I got a lot of complements from people on it. However it had one big problem. It was just entirely too big and wide on the trials. I wheeled the heck out of it and it got me everywhere that wanted to go, but it took me twice as long and was twice as much work to get there. It kind of took all the fun out of wheeling.

So I had to come up with a solution to this problem. Enter my secret love of Rat Rods. So I thought why not combine wheeling with a Rat Rod!? So I decided to pull the big and wide Bronco body off of the frame and swap on something that will be narrower and a lot more fun on the trails. So the transformation began.

Someone really likes his jack!

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomEB View Post
      Someone really likes his jack!
      LOL, I cannot deny that.

Comment

So this is what I drug home to start with. Let the fun begin.

Comment

Sounds awesome! What body is that?
          Kyle
          Aptos
          1967 EB, 5.8, AOD, Stak 5.22, 37's, Dana44/9" w/ARBs 5.13s, 3.5" WH SL, 2" BL, 4wheel disc hydroboost, wristed.

Comment

I see this turning into something cool. What’s the plan for the bronco body
            67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
            69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
            69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
            79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
            67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

Originally posted by kman67 View Post
              Sounds awesome! What body is that?
              It's a 1940 1-1/2 ton Ford.

Comment

Originally posted by 69crawler View Post
                I believe he already sold it...
                2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Originally posted by 69crawler View Post
                  I sold it to a guy back in the Midwest. He was so happy to get a rust free California body! Plus it was the Ranger XLT Free Wheeling body, so it was a pretty desirable body.

Comment

I have been excited to see some pics since talking about this with you back at the WH Roundup.
                    My desire to build something else is getting strong!
                    1970 Bronco
                    My build thread

Comment

So I got the 40 cab off of the frame and in my garage so I could get started on chopping the top.

Comment

Time to have some fun with the cut off wheel and a sawzall!
                        Attached Files

Comment

So what’s the suspension plans for this. 4 link trailing arm rear?

dont tell me you got no plans to rejuvenate the Mr Overkill persona!

Comment

Mr. Overkill is alive and well! Stage one of this build is just to do the body swap and keep the current suspension set up to get it back on the trails next Spring. Phase 2 will be one ton axles, 4-Link, Coilovers and 42" Pitbull tires.

Comment

That’s gonna be a cool project. Looking forward to watching the progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X