No announcement yet.

1969 Sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, the engine ('98 explorer) is at the builder and is just being gone through, clean, and painted. Unless something is wrong I'm not planning on doing anything to it. But, while it's a part he asked if I wanted to do anything to it. Port and polish or a mild cam. What do you guys think? I've read lots of cam threads and I feel more lost. I won't pretend to know anything about them. I feel inclined to leave it be, but this is the point to do it and I still need to send the ECM to EFIguy. My set up is going to be the '98 explorer and 4r70w to the Dana 20 w/the low gear kit. I plan on 4.56 gears with 35" tires.

I was recommended this cam by another guy: melling camshaft 24280

How does that one look or stay with the explorer or go to the Mustang HO? I want good drivability and it needs to be able to be tuned.

Thanks.
    Last edited by FSD; 05-25-2020, 06:45 PM.

Comment

This is that cam...

Comment

Do both a port and polish kit as well the cam. Doesn’t look too extreme for me.

Comment

I have done 3 Explorer conversions and am happy with the factory cam... No on the mustang cam, comes on at higher rpms...

Anytime you change a cam, you need to research what kind of drive gear is required on the distributor/Cam sensor.

EFI Guy was talking about taking a few months off this summer to finish his Bronco. You should reach out to him to see how long he will be backed up. I have heard that there is someone else that he recommends that can do basic harness rework.
          2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
          1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
          2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Thank you guys.

Jim did the harness work already and I do have an ECM that is programmed for a stock set up with 4.11 gears. If I run 4.56 gears (which I think I need for the 35" tires) will the ECM be okay with the difference? That is why I was going to send the ECM back to be updated for the gearing and since it was going back I figured asking about the cam. I believe that I can adjust the Dakota Digital RTX gauge to get the correct speed.

Comment

Gearing is not part of the ECU programming, at least Garry has never asked for my gearing and tire size.

DD gauge can be adjusted if you are using GPS, if using other means then it would depend on what that is...
              2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
              1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
              2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Well, I got the engine, transmission, and transfer case back. The transfer case needs to go back as the rear output shaft has too much play in it. Slowly getting it stripped down. I think I am going to lift the body off and spray POR-15, SEM Trim Black, or KBS Blacktop on the frame. I just not sure which one I want yet, anyone used any of these?
                Last edited by FSD; 03-09-2021, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Nice! Keep us posted on your progress. This is going to be a very nice driver!

Comment

Working...
                  X