Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Third times a charm - 3 link, 4 link, full widths...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Third times a charm - 3 link, 4 link, full widths...

I have a build thread on CB and I post a lot to a few FB groups, but I wanted to add something here because a lot of my research on the suspension has come from this site.

I bought my first EB in 1997 when I was 19. It was a 77 and I had no idea what I had or what I was getting myself into. I did a little work to it, but ended up selling because I had no idea how to work on it and that was before Facebook and Internet forums.

I believe I bought my next Bronco in 2004. It was a 1969 that I got for a good price back then. I bought a 3.5" lift and some 35's for it. I drove it like that for awhile and then decided I was going to do a ground up restomod on it. That was a big mistake. I tore it apart and never got it back together. It was parked at my brothers property for a year or two until a guy tracked him down and offered to buy it. Regrettably I sold it to him. A few years later I ran into my old Bronco at a local Bronco get together. He did a great job on it.

When I purchased

After the lift

Finished by the next owner

Flash forward to 2012 and I ended up purchasing my current Bronco. A friend was cruising through his home town in Southern Oregon when he spotted a Bronco under a carport. He stopped and ask the guy if it was for sale and he said he needed the cash so he would let go of it. I cruised down the next day to look at it. I ended up going back the following day with a truck and trailer.

This is what I started with after I got it home and cleaned it up

I will add some pictures and short description of the updates I've made and the different stages soon so I can get this thread current.
    Last edited by JSmall; 04-22-2016, 08:22 AM.
    Jaromy

Re: Third times a charm - 3 link, 4 link, full widths...

Welcome. Thanks for posting... I look forward to the rest of the story... And I do remember your thread on Classic. Doug
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
      Welcome. Thanks for posting... I look forward to the rest of the story... And I do remember your thread on Classic. Doug
      Thanks Doug! I took lots of pictures of your Bronco at the WH Roundup. I hoping to have my Explorer motor in after I get finished with the suspension upgrades.
      Jaromy

Comment

The first thing I did was cleaned up the engine bay and added hydroboost, 4x4x2 steering box, 3G alt and new wiring in a custom box on the passenger fender.

Then I added some 33's on stock wheels and hubcaps

With only a 2.5" lift I had some rubbing while off-road so I added a 1" body lift and moved the axle back an inch.

Jaromy

Comment

At this point I wanted a 5 speed so I swapped in a ZF.

I cleaned up the engine bay a little more and installed a compressor for my upcoming locker installs.

Jaromy

Comment

I like the color of it. That picture of it in the snow looks sweet. Looking forward to seeing the present picture of this

Comment

Originally posted by Rockbronco67 View Post
              I like the color of it. That picture of it in the snow looks sweet. Looking forward to seeing the present picture of this
              Thanks! I got a lot of ideas for my build from yours. It looks a lot different right now
              Jaromy

Comment

I purchased some 76 F150 axles to swap in and then talked myself out of it. I wanted to give it a more modern look and I needed 17" wheels to clear the one ton steering I wanted to add. This was last August

Jaromy

Comment

SO I cheated and went to classic and looked at the whole build. I will keep my comments about the progress to my self so I don't spoil any one that is watching. Looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockbronco67 View Post
                    SO I cheated and went to classic and looked at the whole build. I will keep my comments about the progress to my self so I don't spoil any one that is watching. Looks great.
                    That's okay I copied your rear fender design. I'm only running a 38 so I shortened them up a little.
                    Jaromy

Comment

I ended up purchasing another set of 76 F150 axles and lots of parts to upgrade them.

This is the finished 9 inch with an Artec top truss, RuffStuff back truss, RuffStuff pinion guard, custom bottom and back skid, Artec lower link brackets, RuffStuff upper link bracket, ARB, Yukon 35 spline shafts, nodular iron third, Daytona support, forged 1350 yoke, disk brakes and I'm sure a few other things.

Jaromy

Comment

That's going to be a sweet ride when you're finished! Did you end up having any alignment issues with the amount of weld on the rear housing?
                        '75 Bronco in the works..
                        '69/2012 FJ40 with some stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleXL View Post
                          That's going to be a sweet ride when you're finished! Did you end up having any alignment issues with the amount of weld on the rear housing?
                          After all the welding was done the ends were cutoff and aligned. It was a 1/4" out
                          Jaromy

Comment

I then started on the 4 link. I read a lot of threads on here and asked a few questions to members via PM as well as working with the calculator. My first try was with Artec frame brackets, but they had too much angle built into the uppers so the Johnny Joints were rubbing the bracket while articulating. I ended up cutting out the upper and added a gusset. I then used Barnes adjustable inner frame brackets.

Jaromy

Comment

Man, you do really nice work! Looks like you started with a pretty nice ride too. I will be watching this thread, I am impressed so far.
                              1970 Bronco
                              My build thread

Comment

Working...
                              X