89 FSB "Bill"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 FSB "Bill"

Alright, I've been wanting to start a build thread on my truck for a while now. Partly to share with you guys, and partly to keep track of the progress for myself.

Time is tight in my household, so please forgive me for the time it's gonna take to catch everything up. Next post I will start summarizing what I've done so far.
    89 FSB XLT 5.8 C6 "Bill"

Re: 89 FSB "Bill"

Looking forward to watching your progress.

Comment

I've had a 78 and 89 so FSB have a place in my heart. My
      78 was my first vehicle past down from my dad, brother, and my other brother to me. Looking forward to seeing your build.
      Last edited by Rockbronco67; 02-10-2016, 06:43 AM.

Comment

I bought Bill in September 2015 for $1600. He had only one working window, one working lock, cracked headers, oil leaks, and one ugly ass Roll Along package.

This picture was taken two days after I bought it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150915_155710.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	444.9 KB
ID:	272353

Name:	20150915_155848.jpg
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	272354

It was a project truck for sure, but thats what I wanted, and it was within my budget.
        89 FSB XLT 5.8 C6 "Bill"

Comment

Thanks for the support, guys. Nobody I'm close to is into Broncos or even 4wds like I am. I get excited over them, they just roll their eyes because they're tired of hearing me. Haha

Like I said, I'm gonna try to go through all the little stuff I've done so far, until I'm caught up to date.
          89 FSB XLT 5.8 C6 "Bill"

Comment

It didn't take me long to tear into the easy stuff. That weekend, I went down to the parts store, and fixed the most immediately obnoxious stuff.

New lock actuators in both doors, where I found that someone shittily installed an alarm and "custom" actuator in the drivers side. The custom actuator had come loose over time, which explained why I could manually lock it. I ripped out the lock actuator and linkage, and the custom wiring in the locks switch. I simplified the circuit, installed a factory actuator, and buttoned it all up.

Then I moved on to the passenger side. I found the window motor and lock actuator were both dead, which explained why the door couldn't be locked. I replaced both parts, and moved onto the tailgate.

Name:	20150919_222655.jpg
Size:	500.2 KB
ID:	272355

The glass in the tailgate was up all but about the last inch or so. I could hear the motor running, but the glass didn't move. After pulling the panel from the inside and seeing what it all looked like, I decided to just manually push the window down and drop the tailgate. It took some fandangling, but it came down so I could drop the tailgate and pull the glass out.

Name:	20150920_115510.jpg
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	272356

I pulled the motor out and apart, and found that the bushings inside were destroyed. So, back to Napa I went and brought home a rebuild kit for half the price of a motor.

Name:	20150920_125124.jpg
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	272357

I replaced the bushings, reinstalled the motor, glass, and access panel, and now have working power windows and locks.

Time for a beer.
            89 FSB XLT 5.8 C6 "Bill"

Comment

I also had to replace the ignition switch, because it was near in two pieces, and the turn signal switch, because those awesome plastic lock tabs were broken.

Name:	20151001_190051.jpg
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	272362

I replaced all the locks with an set so that my key would actually have edges, instead of rolls.

Name:	20151029_183321.jpg
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	272360

I replaced the cracked 18g Hedman headers for a set of 14g Gibsons. The chrome is cool, but I only got it for the thicker gauge.

Name:	20151121_111518.jpg
Size:	586.7 KB
ID:	272361

They actually sound better to me not only because there's no more "ticking", but because I actually like the tone.

While I had the headers out, I took advantage of the space and installed a new set of E3 spark plugs and wires.
              Last edited by Bronco_bucko; 02-10-2016, 02:38 PM. Reason: Added a pic
              89 FSB XLT 5.8 C6 "Bill"

Comment

I'm pretty sure I'm nowhere near proper chronological order... But does anyone really care? Lol

I decided I didn't like the location of the oil filter. So I put this in:

Name:	20151011_211253.jpg
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	272363

I also decided I will NEVER buy a Summit branded product again. This thing leaks worse than the existing leaks. No exaggeration.
                89 FSB XLT 5.8 C6 "Bill"

Comment

The stereo worked...

On one station...

At one volume....

As long as you didn't touch it.

So installed a deck I had laying around the garage.

Name:	20151021_174829.jpg
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	272364

Name:	20151021_202724.jpg
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	272365

Now I've got Bluetooth, hands free, USB, Aux, HD Radio and a working Cd player. And a way better remote, which never moves with a spot of velcro...

Name:	20151214_203807.jpg
Size:	774.2 KB
ID:	272366

I did the same to my walkie talkie and phone. Everything stays right where I left it, even off road.
                  89 FSB XLT 5.8 C6 "Bill"

Comment

Keep up the good work................
                    Jack
                    73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

Along the way, I have removed most of the Roll Along package. The fender flares are gone, as is the spare tire cover. Click image for larger version

Name:	20160123_131441.jpg
Size:	553.4 KB
ID:	272367

Name:	20160115_175127.jpg
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	272368

I'm leaving the roof rack because... Well... I like it. Haha and that pretty much brings me up to date.

I'll try to get to the current projects tonight.
                      Last edited by Bronco_bucko; 02-10-2016, 02:52 PM.
                      89 FSB XLT 5.8 C6 "Bill"

Comment

Ah yes, last month, as most of you already know, I bought a matched d44 and a 9" from a 78 bronco.

Name:	20160116_133958.jpg
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	272369

Last week, I ordered the master overhaul kits for both axles with Timken bearings from JBG. They actually arrived today. I want to get her a few more parts before I tear them down though.

Name:	20160210_164928.jpg
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	272370

A Spartan lunchbox locker and warn premium lockouts for the d44, primarily. And maybe a used true Trac for the 9". Well see what time and money allow for.
                        Last edited by Bronco_bucko; 02-10-2016, 03:51 PM.
                        89 FSB XLT 5.8 C6 "Bill"

Comment

You have been busy. Looking good.
                          Marc D.
                          If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I've been chasing a fuel issue for several weeks now. I thought I had it busted after I changed the fuel filter, but last weekend, while pulling away from the pump, I once again felt it flutter.

I immediately drove it home. While sitting in the driveway, I listened for the prime. It was then that I noticed the front high pressure pump sounding terrible. I hooked up the pressure gauge, and wasnt very happy with the results. So I ran down to VatoZone and picked up a new pump.

When I got home, I put the truck up on ramps, pulled the driveshaft to make a little room, and swapped the pump. After putting it all back together, the new pump sounded way better while Priming. But it just wouldn't start. The angle of the truck on the ramps was enough to show that the rear pump was, in fact, not working. After getting under the truck to listen while my little brother turned the key, it was definitely confirmed that the pump wasn't working.

Since I had just filled up, I wasn't going to drop that big ass tank. So I prepared to cut the access door so common to the full size Broncos. The local junkyards wouldn't sell me a piece of a bed or bronco for the door, but I deliver to a sheet metal shop for work. I simply asked one of the guys if he had any he could spare. He gave me a perfect piece.

Name:	20160209_132535.jpg
Size:	327.6 KB
ID:	272371

Or course, I'll have to form it a little bit. But it was free, and I think I can make it work.

I went down to the parts house again, and grabbed the pump and a screen filter.

Once I had everything, I got to work.

Name:	20160211_124859.jpg
Size:	733.1 KB
ID:	272372

... And it didn't start well. Wound up breaking both bolts for the rear seat latch. I need an impact gun. Well, I guess it'll be a two seater for a while. Sorry kids.

I kept a move on, pulled the carpet up, and got to cutting.

Name:	20160211_171758.jpg
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	272373

I got it done and got the pump switched. Flashed a light down the tank, and it was gloriously clean and shiny. Haha

Name:	20160211_184804.jpg
Size:	457.9 KB
ID:	272374

Filter was pretty dirty. I'm sure it wasn't helping. I got the new pump and screen in, and turned the key. Both new pumps Priming together sounded WAY better. Truck fired right up, and ran like a champ. I took it a lap around town. It feels. More like when I bought it. Maybe even better.

I didnt get the new door made yet, but I'll get to it this weekend. And I'll have to drill out those bolts so I can lay the back seat down again. But at a least I can drive it now.
                            89 FSB XLT 5.8 C6 "Bill"

Comment

Finished up my access panel today. I formed the sheet metal with a block of wood, painted the underside to protect it from rust, and then used some automotive glue, screws, and peel n seal around the edges to be sure.

I'm pretty happy with the results.

Name:	20160213_125852.jpg
Size:	496.4 KB
ID:	272378

And after replacing both pumps, it was running so well, I decided to bring home a side project.

(my pics are too big. I'll have to resize them later and post.)
                              89 FSB XLT 5.8 C6 "Bill"

Comment

Working...
                              X