My new Bronco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Bronco

Here is a few pictures of my long term project, a 77 sport I picked up 6 miles from my house. It did not run and it had not been running for a year. I had it towed home and I was driving it around the nieghborhood an hour latter. Body is straight, everything seems to work, minimal rust, new tires and rims. It had a very tired 1990 mustang motor in it, with most of the smog. It is amasing to me how much work I have to redo from the previous PO's. I tried and tried to get the bolt/plug out of the rear air injection port on the driver's side head. Finally I just pulled the motor, only to fid out that the bolt had been installed through a hole that was drilled in the firewall. Since the motor is out... Well it is now appart and I am going through it. I will still run the 2B carb and all the smog stuff. It will be efi some day... I need to do the suspension, check the brakes, replace the factory seats, the list goes on. This is a Dad and his sons project...

Doug

Inquiring minds: I paid 5K for it, factory color was the metalic green and it is now a faded British racing green. The hard top was painted with a brush...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 904Bronco; 03-17-2007, 05:21 PM.
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Congrats. Looks like a good bonding project. Good luck with it.
    rich
    '72 Bronco (road worthy trail rig)
    '66 EB, mostly stock (sold )
    "Semper Paratus"

Comment

Nice rig. Looks like the body is nice and tight. What are your long term plans for it as far as height and tire size...if the same, are you going to do a full resto???
      “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Looks like fun............it's nice to have little hands to reach stuff.
        Brad
        Chico, Ca.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel
          Nice rig. Looks like the body is nice and tight. What are your long term plans for it as far as height and tire size...if the same, are you going to do a full resto???
          Well I have a finished "asphalt queen" which has become too nice to wheel. My immediate plans are to get the motor back in it, smog it and then start going through the mechanicals. Slowly making improvements as time and $ allow. The dream would be a complete tear down, body off frame resto-mod with EFI and NV3550, painting it Orange!, 3 1/2" lift, 1" body lift, 33-35" tires. Then there is the: I have a finished rig, so this one should be the one I take wheeling. It really comes down to how much time the Kids and the wife allow me to have for it.
          Last edited by 904Bronco; 02-16-2007, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco
            I have a finished "asphault queen" ...........................so this one should be the one I take wheeling.

WHEEL IT!!!!
            '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Originally posted by FFMDX
              WHEEL IT!!!!
              Hey I resemmble that remark. Well back at you then... I got my motor back from the machine shop yesterday, betcha mine is back in the rig and running before yours.

By the way the offer still stands;to help with a wrench party on yours.

D.

Comment

Ooooooooo....the throw down is on!!!! Let the competition begin.

On your mark.........get set............GO!!!!!!!

The clock is ticking!

Originally posted by 904Bronco
                Hey I resemmble that remark. Well back at you then... I got my motor back from the machine shop yesterday, betcha mine is back in the rig and running before yours.

D.

Comment

Thanx Doug! I just got the "thanks for painting the house, why don't you go look for Bronco parts" permission today! Well, after we run the errands that is!

Ooooooooo....the throw down is on!!!! Let the competition begin.
                  Well what can I say, the Wifey was had at "VROOM!" Nothing like a little bit-o-peer pressure huh Patrick! With the contractions coming and going, I'm a little distracted, but I'm shooting for a strong second vs. 904Bronco
                  '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Originally posted by FFMDX
                    Thanx Doug! I just got the "thanks for painting the house, why don't you go look for Bronco parts" permission today! Well, after we run the errands that is!

Well what can I say, the Wifey was had at "VROOM!" Nothing like a little bit-o-peer pressure huh Patrick! With the contractions coming and going, I'm a little distracted, but I'm shooting for a strong second vs. 904Bronco
                    I am there for you Bro... Let me know what you need.

D.

Comment

Hey nice rig Doug, glad to see you got a family wheeling project, have fun with the boys.

Come awn Sean "Get 'er done"
                      Shaver is only 4 months away and ticking

FM <><
                      72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
                      1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

(VERY SOON!)

Comment

Well the rebuilt engine is back in, it runs and moves! The power steering pump's front seal went south shortly after I started driving it around the neighborhood. I sent it off to be rebuilt... The rear drum brakes had allot of mud, sand, crap in them. 3 cans of brake clean, some minor adjustments and I have a parking brake. I guess I have the odd-ball parking brake; the spring clips on to the front cable, instead of style I have on my 75. Too bad the hole is gone and the spring in attached in a PO half-assed manor. The front wheel bearings had allot of play so I took things apart... I have never seen so much crap and goo in a hub before. It took allot of work just to get the Hub parts out. The looser side had the lock nut installed backwards, but the bearings looked ok. The other side the bearings were "toast". The rotors were pitted from the vehicle sitting for so long, so I thought I could get a clean up cut done; NOT, both rotors are below minimum. Since I was there, I pulled the spindles and axles. The spindle bearings are done, probably the original factory grease or what was left of it. Diff oil came out a light shade of brown. I guess that the front axle, with the exception of the gear set will be rebuilt.
                          So I opened up the drivers door to see why I have to push the outside button so hard to open the door... found the rearward window guide in the bottom of the door, bent. Oh yeah, the rod from the door handle has string tied around it to the latch.

Sorry for the whine, nothing that I did not go through with my 75. I appreciate being able to vent to others who have been there before. What is it with PO's and their lack of mechanical skills?

Yes, I will post some pic's latter.

Doug
                          Last edited by 904Bronco; 04-01-2007, 09:58 AM.

Comment

The PO goblins wooo whooooo, ever time you turn around their is always another one. Only one cure for goblin infestation, frame off restoration.
                            72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

I know that it sucks to find all of these things that need to be fixed, but you will be so glad that you did it later. You gain more and more confidence in the Bronco after everything you fix/upgrade. I want to see the new shinny engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X