No announcement yet.

70 Sport resto/mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't like my stock hood either. To much work for what it was worth so I sold it and bought a High Country hood from WH. Now I don't like it either and will end up selling it too.
    Vacaville, Ca
    67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

• Jeff, I just took a look at the High Country hood. Its not my first choice... but if you are looking to unload it, PM me a price. Its not a bad hood, but as I said, not my first choice. It would be nice to start with a hood that does not need a ton of work.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

• This one needs a little work also. It was made from the first mold they had when they made the hood for Stacey David on Trucks for Crazy Horse. I guess they made a few then found out they were a little on the narrow side in the middle of each side. Clear as mud??? Kinda like a little hourglass taper.

Let me know what you think.

Jeff
        Last edited by seahawkfan; 06-13-2008, 06:21 PM.
        Vacaville, Ca
        67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

• Got a little bonus at work... picked up a little bling in the form of stainless removable door hinges with straps from the WH special over on classic. They arrived today and after seeing them, I have newfound ambition to fix up my doors and get them painted. Wow these things are nice!

Otherwise I've been doing more work that isn't particularly photogenic like more wiring BS and the like...

I don't want to jinx myself but I'm tentatively planning to fire the bad boy up Sunday or Monday.
          Attached Files
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

• I got a solid 2.5 days worth of Bronco work done - I had yesterday and today off. I mounted my cage radius arms (I hope I don't have to do that much drilling on the frame again anytime soon!) and fabbed up a track bar mount, among other little projects. It got dark too quick today but pix will follow soon.

I am going to need a set of longer front shocks so if anybody is interested in a pair of the base WH shocks, I can get you measurements from them (they fit a 5.5" lift on stock arms). I am thinking pretty seriously about getting some steering linkages made very soon and a steering column as well.

After that, driveshafts, wheels, tires, and exhaust are basically all that stands between me and a drivable rig. I also need to get my cage/seat mounts/bumpers/rockers painted. Its getting there but not soon enough for a 'con run...
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

• Sounds like you've been making some nice progress T! Keep up the good work and lets see some pics. Don't forget to stitch weld the Cage arms brackets to your frame.

Comment

• Nice progress Tony. Still wiring? Im glad I bought a second Centech harness. The first one went on my kid's White EB. Mine won't be ready until December at this point. Been too busy with everything else including work. Right now devoting all efforts to get the White EB ready for the Con Run. Looks like next year your rig and mine will be the virgins at the 2009 Con.
                p.s. if you buy a column, Flaming River ONLY. If you rebuild, let be know, I have two spares, one fully rebuilt.
                Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

• Some photos of my recent Bronco projects. I've installed the following:

Cage radius arms - yes Patrick the brackets are stitch welded!
                  Track Bar mount - a beefed up version of the PO's bracket... Still needs a little gusseting but its beefy.
                  Hood Shocks
                  Vacuum brake booster

I was able to use the stock track bar with a riser that was started by the previous owner of my D44. The lower box was used as an anchoring point for his ram assist steering and there was a pretty weak track bar mount up top. I built mine out of some 3/8" U-channel and plan to add a triangle gusset or two. The track bar needs a little paint but it'll do for now.

The cage arms went on pretty easily but I took my time and had lots of help. My wheelbase is now about a whopping 93".

Spaceburger... I've got a few bugs to work out of my wiring but nothing major. Electrical is not my forte but a carbed EB is not the most difficult vehicle to wire. I am considering swapping out my distributor to ditch the duraspark monkey motion and clean up underhood a little more. I'll probably make it run before I do that though. Otherwise its mainly just tracing a few of my wires to identify a minor problem... Most everything works though.

Slowly but surely...
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by CityHick; 07-16-2008, 06:55 PM.
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

• Those Cage arms look real nice all powder coated. Good job on the trac bar riser too! Is your tie rod bent? Or is it just the picture?

Comment

• Yep the tie rod is bent... It came with the axle that way, and it'll be replaced. The guy who sold me the axle actually said that with it bent like that the alignment was pretty good... I think he was blowing smoke at me but whatever.
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

• Tony, the work looks killer.

My tie rod has been bent like that for a while. Every now and then I'll hook a buddies winch to it and pull it straight. If you replace it, with Murphy's Law, you'd bend it first time out. If you leave it, you'll probably never hit it!
                        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

• I hear you Carl...
                          I've actually considered trying to straighten it and see how it goes.

I still need a drag link - I plan to mock that up soon and post a few pix to get some folks opinions of what the geometry will look like. The track bar is raised quite a bit on the axle side, and I know you're supposed to make the drag link a similar length and as close to parallel as possible to it.
                          The guy who sold me the axle had a drag link that went all the way to the knuckle and said he had no bump steer in that configuration. Mocking this up roughly with a broomstick, the two look fairly parallel with the stock pitman up there, however I have read that the flatter the angle of the drag link the better.

Like I said, I'll post up some pix of my mocked up steering sometime soon.

I really want to just wave a magic wand and have everything done so I can just wheel...
                          1970 Bronco
                          My build thread

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1776 View Post
                            I really want to just wave a magic wand and have everything done so I can just wheel...
                            I know EXACTLY what you're talkin' about!!!!
                            '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1776 View Post
                              I hear you Carl...
                              I've actually considered trying to straighten it and see how it goes.

I still need a drag link - I plan to mock that up soon and post a few pix to get some folks opinions of what the geometry will look like. The track bar is raised quite a bit on the axle side, and I know you're supposed to make the drag link a similar length and as close to parallel as possible to it.
                              The guy who sold me the axle had a drag link that went all the way to the knuckle and said he had no bump steer in that configuration. Mocking this up roughly with a broomstick, the two look fairly parallel with the stock pitman up there, however I have read that the flatter the angle of the drag link the better.

Like I said, I'll post up some pix of my mocked up steering sometime soon.

If you decide to build your own, let me know. I have some extra 1.5 x .250 DOM left over from when I built mine. If you want to send me the threaded inserts, I can even weld them in for you. Then send the links on the POPS Express delivery to you.

Comment

• Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                                If you decide to build your own, let me know. I have some extra 1.5 x .250 DOM left over from when I built mine. If you want to send me the threaded inserts, I can even weld them in for you. Then send the links on the POPS Express delivery to you.
                                I love this forum...

Patrick, this may be the way to go. I will get some measurements this weekend and order some inserts. If you can PM me your shipping address, I can have them shipped right to you, then the Pops Express (or whatever other method works) can at least get it closer to me. How much DOM do you have? I guess its time to get serious about trying to straighten my tierod.

If I get Spaceburger's column and a drag link from you, I will be well on my way!
                                1970 Bronco
                                My build thread

Comment

Working...
                                X