Highway 4 trails conditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highway 4 trails conditions

Just a quick update for anybody who is interested...

The Slick Rock trail is still not completely passable due to snow accumulations. I was up there over the July 4th weekend, there are snow drifts around Utica Reservoir, several of the good campsites are still inaccessible due to flooding, and you can only access the trail from the Utica Reservoir end at this time. The roads around Lake Alpine are still closed and thus the Alpine end of the trail is not accessible. I spoke to many guys in full tube buggies who said going much more than 1 mile past the river crossing turns into a huge winch fest and everybody I spoke to got stuck up there. The river crossing was at least 4 feet deep most of the weekend, fluctuating slightly over the course of a day. I saw more than one rig literally float at times during the river crossing and many rigs needed to be winched across. I didn't even attempt it; conditions were too dangerous. We simply played around on the ladder and watched a few clubs put on a show there.

Deer Valley is still officially closed per the Calaveras Ranger District, and entering can result in a citation. From speaking to a few locals up there, the few who have dared enter (illegally) have gotten very stuck very quickly.

Sourgrass has been open and clear of snow for over a month.

This is completely insane given that we're almost 1 full week into July!
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Highway 4 trails conditions

Wow! 4 feet of water, I've never been, was going with the IH only Group next week 15-17. sounds ugly though, may have to reconsider.

http://www.ihonlynorth.com/forums/ba...html#post47290
    Yes, It's a Jeep, Can't we all just get along?
    35s,44s locked,102:1 blah, blah, blah. I'll upgrade whatever breaks next, something will, I am sure, hopefully it's something cheap.

Comment

Frank, if I were you I'd still go. As hot as it will be this week I would venture to guess conditions will change for the better; however more snow melt = deep river. The river is controlled by dam releases and there were times over the weekend when I'd have considered crossing the river in my rig; but there's always the chance it'll be deeper when you get back to it if the trail isn't open up top.

Slick Rock to me has always been more about the camping than the wheeling. I like the area and there are lots of cool places to hike up there. The trail is short and not terribly difficult.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
        but there's always the chance it'll be deeper when you get back to it if the trail isn't open up top.
        You should have been to the rubi trip. Kyle, Pat and I buried our rigs in what seemed like the Nile river.

Im all ready to head up to Slickrock if anyone wants to go.
        {o===o}
        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
        EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
        Originally posted by CityHick
        I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
          You should have been to the rubi trip. Kyle, Pat and I buried our rigs in what seemed like the Nile river.

Im all ready to head up to Slickrock if anyone wants to go.
          Seriously... I was bumming big time to not be on the 'con trip. I've bounced the idea of a Deer Valley trip off a couple of friends if it ever opens this year too. If that trip happens we could hit Slickrock on the way too...
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
            Seriously... I was bumming big time to not be on the 'con trip. I've bounced the idea of a Deer Valley trip off a couple of friends if it ever opens this year too. If that trip happens we could hit Slickrock on the way too...
            Im just looking for some camping and wheeling. Dont care where. DV would be fun.
            {o===o}
            Originally posted by TBS-POPS
            EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
            Originally posted by CityHick
            I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Working...
            X