Dusy/Ershim Trail report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dusy/Ershim Trail report

It was incredible. What a great trail. This was the best trip of the summer. I only wish I would have had more time to spend on this trail. Anyway..let me tell you about it.
    The planning for this trip started in June after a trip on the Rubicon. My buddy Dave, in the Toyota, and I decided to make plans for another trip in September.
    Over the next 2 months vehicle and gear prep commenced. By mid-August we had the final list of participants and our rigs ready.
    None of us had ever been on this trail so we had enough maps, GPS, and intel, to plan a full scale invasion. Between all of us we had enough winches, tools, air, high-lifts, welders and parts to hopefully fix anything.
    And we had enough food and supplies to last probably 2 weeks if we had to.
    When Day 1 arrived our plan went into motion. Half the group was coming from Sacramento, the other from the Bay Area. Most of us were leaving after work and would be arriving in camp after dark. So we sent an advance-party to establish a campsite at Dinkey Creek Campground. Both groups left at the same time and arrived in Madera within' 30 minutes of each other to link up for the rest of the drive. We then drove to Dinkey Creek where our advance-party had camp set up and waiting.
    The drive there took 4 hours. 3 hours to Madera and and 1 to get to Dinky.
    We had one tow rig and were able to park it at Dinkey Creek Campground for no additional charge.
    Day 2 we awoke and got ready for Wheelin' Operations. From Dinkey Creek Campground to the trail-head at Courtwright Reservoir I think it took about 45 min. We got on the trail around 1000. We should have started earlier in order to make it to Thompson Lake the first night. So we climbed up Chicken Rock, Which looks much worse than it is.
    This trail is really tight. I would not recommend a full-size rig on this trail.
    Late in the day we arrived at our first major obstacle...Thompson Hill.
    Looking at the map and GPS we were almost to Thompson Lake. So even though it was starting to get late we pressed on. About two-thirds of the way up it got dark. I was the lead vehicle and was still moving, but slowly. Even with rock-lights under my rig it was still hard to see. Halfway up the final gnarly section my forward momentum was stopped. I was hanging up on something, but couldn't see it. I backed up, tried to the left, tried to the right, with no luck. Backing up again I now put myself into a position where I could not get moving forward again.
    Now sensing a mutiny growing in my Bronco I knew I had to get my wife and daughter to a campsite and fed dinner rather quickly. So out comes the winch. Let me tell you...pulling a winch cable up a steep rocky hill at night at 10,000 feet had me huffing and puffing a little bit.
    At this point the rest of the group decided to camp where they were and attempt the rest of the hill in the morning. Except Dave in the Toyota.
    He had been experiencing a dramatic loss of power in his truck and thought maybe it was altitude. Later to be diagnosed as a failed O2 sensor.
    So Dave winched himself up to us and the rest of the group stayed below. I got camp set up and dinner cooked quickly and avoided the hostile takeover.
    Day 3 we fixed the Toyota by pulling the Mass air sensor, making it run extremely rich, but it had power again and could continue. The other two vehicles made it up the hill and we all found out we were right around the bend from the Lake.
    A side note: We all had a touch of altitude sickness the first night. In 24 hours we went from sea-level to 10,000 feet. Just something to keep in mind.
    We were a little behind schedule, so we pushed to get to Ershim lake by the end of the day. The Cherokee had developed a leak in one of his Air-Lockers, but his suspension worked so well we had yet needed to fix it. We arrived at Ershim Lake around 1700, but all the campsites around the lake were full. So we pushed a little further and set up camp on a ridge over -looking the valley.
    Day 4 we planned on being off the trail or very near the end. Didn't happen. A couple hours into the day I noticed the twin sticks to my transfer case flopping around. Something was coming loose. We stopped and tried to find the problem, but everything appeared tight. We continued on and so did the problem. We decided to make it a short day to work on the rigs and rest a little. So around noon we stopped and set up camp at Lakecamp Lake. Beautiful spot.
    So I put the tarp down and started checking every nut-and bolt that could be linked to the problem. It wasn't until we pryed on the transfer case that we finally found the problem. The nuts holding the T-case to the adapter plate had come loose. Whew! A quick fix. I tight end them down and we were good-to-go once again.
    The early day allowed everybody to relax and for me to get some fishin' time in with my daughter. If we didn't get a line wet at least once, I'd never here the end of it.
    Later that day a group of Jeeps pulled up, limping one of there members along who had spun his rear axle, breaking both spring perches off.
    Out came the Ready-Welder.
    Ray, in the Flatfender, had purchased one of these units right before the trip and was happy to pull it out for the repair. It worked great. They welded up the perches and they were on there way. It was mostly a group of firefighters out of Bakersfield. And I'm sure that they were as happy to run into a group of Marines and Navy to give them a hand.
    Day 5 was the final charge to get off the trail. We went across a 10,000 foot summit that was beautiful, and then the final mile got tough. We got off the trail at 1530 that afternoon.
    This trail is incredible. It's like the Rubicon and Fordyce rolled into one, stretched out 33 miles, dropped at 9000 to 10,000 feet with a dozen lakes thrown in.
    The scenery was incredible. It is truly an amazing trail. I will be returning next summer for a week long trip.
    This trail is a true test of your rig and yourself. As well as a kick-ass 4 wheel drive outdoor adventure.

The pics are from my camera. It's hard to get pics of yourself. I'll post more Bronco pics as I get them from the rest of the group.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mike C; 09-24-2005, 04:54 AM.

AWESOME write up and even more awesome pics. I never thought this trail was so beautiful. This trail moves right up to the tp of the list....

Thanks for taking the the tme to post this...

priceless...
    Attached Files
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

I forgot to add....right before the trip we found out my wife is pregnant with our 2nd kid.
      She's about 7 weeks along now. The new baby has already been on it's first wheelin' trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike C
        I forgot to add....right before the trip we found out my wife is pregnant with our 2nd kid.
        She's about 7 weeks along now. The new baby has already been on it's first wheelin' trip.
        HAPPY TIMES!
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel
          AWESOME write up and even more awesome pics. I never thought this trail was so beautiful. This trail moves right up to the tp of the list....

Thanks for taking the the tme to post this...

priceless...

I couldn't agree more. That picture will go on the wall for sure. I'm glad my wife was there to capture the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike C
            I couldn't agree more. That picture will go on the wall for sure. I'm glad my wife was there to capture the moment.
            I cannot wait until I can take my son out....a few more years...

Comment

Now I am really wishing I could of made it. Looks like a great time Mike. I have been up on Bald Mtn, and Red Lake trails and they are beautiful too. But now I got to do the Dusy. Hopefully next year. Glad you all had a good time. FM
              72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
              1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

Working...
              X