Tennessee trail report = death to bronco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tennessee trail report = death to bronco

Well we took off at about 3 today to go wheelin. Well we are going up the creek, having a blast, everything seems to be fine. We come to a waterfall, about 25 feet tall, pretty straight up. A 80's yoter makes it up it redneck style (full throttle, jumping it at the top. Next is a 87 Heep on 60's with 5.13's and 42's. He crawls right up it. Next is my turn.
    Well I pull the front end up to the waterfall, ease on up it, and it chokes out. I start it back up, give it a little more gas and get almost all the way to the top and bang! and it dies. My foot slips off the brake, it flys backwards down the waterfall and slams to the ground. Not thinking anything broke, I start it back up and go at it one more time. Bang! again, smoke and steam everywhere.

The findings:
    Right front coil spring retainer broke, coil spring came out of the bucket causing the front end to sit on the bump stops
    Dif hits the oil pan, spewing oil, fan hits the radiator, spewing antifreeze everywhere, shock bends, and the tire crushes the inner fender.

give me a good excuse to tear it down now
    fullwidths, 36's, new bumpers, 347 Stroker, 4:1 T-case, T-18 tranny, and much more by the end of the summer
    Heres the pics.....

--'73 Bronco----302, 3 spd, D44, 9", Tru-tracs, Twin sticks, 5.5" National Soft ride coils, F-100 pwr steering, 35x12.50's, tilt column, hurst shifter

OUCH! You know what they say, Out Of The Ashes.......
    Good luck with the re build.
    Tony
    1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Man that sucks, but at least you're out wheeling. Sounds like a nice upgrade list there. Good luck and when you get started you better start a build up thread, we love it when others spend the cash.
      Marc D.
      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Pictures, Pictures, Pictures
        1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

That sucks, Hope you had a trailor. Good luck on the rebuild. I can not wait to go out again, It will be trip #2. Nubee Hear.
          1974EB 302v8, NP435, dana 20 twinstick, dana 44, 9 inch Detriot Locker's, 4.88 gears, front disk, Rockbox, wild horses 4.5 inch lift, 4 wheel Warn Full Floater, 35 Super Swamp Bogers.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyatBBY
            That sucks, Hope you had a trailor. Good luck on the rebuild. I can not wait to go out again, It will be trip #2. Nubee Hear.

For a nubee, you sure wheeled like an old pro. Must be the RC crawler that helped with that. I'll wheel with you anytime Randy. (end hijack)
            Marc D.

Comment

tear down will start this week, i got towed home by a yoter
              --'73 Bronco----302, 3 spd, D44, 9", Tru-tracs, Twin sticks, 5.5" National Soft ride coils, F-100 pwr steering, 35x12.50's, tilt column, hurst shifter

Comment

Originally posted by fireman1749
                tear down will start this week, i got towed home by a yoter
                Ouch
                Got to take what you can get when your hurting like that. I put a guys bronco on my trailer this weekend, and he drove my truck and trailer while I drove my bronco behind him about 85 miles to his house. Got to take care of your brothers.
                Last edited by earlybronco72; 04-22-2007, 04:33 AM.
                Marc D.

Comment

hey, at least it still looks good....

Comment

Looks good now, but will look great when you get her done.
                    Marc D.

Comment

Man sorry to hear you didn't make it up the waterfall.

i got towed home by a yoter
                      I bet they never let you forget that, I know my friends remind me of a similar event but Marc right "you got to get home". Look forward to the build-up, keep us posted.

FM <><
                      72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
                      1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

yeah, but the bronco definately yanked the yoter all over the road when i didnt keep the rope tight on the 12 mile ride

Comment

Originally posted by fireman1749
                          yeah, but the bronco definately yanked the yoter all over the road when i didnt keep the rope tight on the 12 mile ride

Definately shows you how much more we weigh than those little things. It's nice having a real frame, and twice the cylinders.
                          Marc D.

Comment

Sounds like a bad deal, was it the landing that broke the spring retainer? I've always looked at those, and wondered how they stay put. Sounds like you've got some great upgrades in the works. Looking forward to your build.

Galen
                            Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                            I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

heres the pics....

Comment

Working...
                              X