Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My weekend trip in the hills out of coalinga!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My weekend trip in the hills out of coalinga!

Well I went out to my fiance's families ranch, it is about 30 miles East of Coalinga (20 miles on dirt roads.) There ranch has some very nice trails for the bronco. To access most of the property you have to drive through a 1/2 mile canyon full of rocks. Before the canyon the terrain is a lot like Kettleman City, after the canyon it starts to get a lot of trees and towards the top you start getting to pine trees. This was my first time out there and was amazed by how many different color rocks there were in one place.
    I did manage to snap the ears off both my inner and outer driver side axles, yes the brand new Yukons w/ CTM's (2nd trip). The strange part was it exploded while backing up a slightly inclined grass hill, I did have the wheels turned and very little skinny pedal. Here are a few pictures, I drove up to the top with my fiancee and her father.
    Attached Files
    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Here are a few more!
    Attached Files
    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Backing up is deadly to BKO axles. Ask me how I know

Nice pics. That is a bunch of color in those rocks
      71, 302, 435, 20, spool rear, ARB front, 35's,3.5sl 2"bl
      nodular 3rd 1350 yoke disks allaround and on the road again

Comment

Not much good tos ay about yukon Dana 44 stuff from my experience. Dana 50 seems ok. Either way, there must have been some hardening issues with a break that easy. I have seen Warns break like that too and I have Warns...with not many trips on them. I an sure you can get replacements especially if you got then from Randy's, but it may be time for Superior and sell the replacements...

The ranch is amazingly beautiful...can we BEG for a future bronco gathering there???
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Beautiful county side up there for sure. Great pics. Damn, that sucks about the axle though! That's pretty disappointing to hear about the Yukon shafts. Where did you buy them from? Hopefully they will replace it for you, but then you still have to spend the time to tear it all down and install the new axles shafts.

Comment

I bought the shafts from Complete Offroad. I don't know there warranty policy, but I will call.
            Not much good to say about Yukon Dana 44 stuff from my experience.
            I wish I would have heard that before purchasing them, I haven't heard of anyone having problems with them.
            I was thinking I would replace them w/ something better, you think Superior would be best. What's the story on Moser's new axles?
            The ranch is amazingly beautiful...can we BEG for a future bronco gathering there???
            I will have to work on that one, the ranch is owned by about 20 descendants of the original family. So things have to be done carefully, not to upset the whole family. If it was a small group it would be very likely. This weekend was actually there annual meeting, which I witnessed and met a lot of the family.
            It is normally much greener this time year, but there has been very little rain over there this year. They have had to pull out just about all the cattle.

Comment

What do you guys think about reusing the CTM that was in the shaft, It looks undamaged. One of the caps has a slight gall mark in the bushing that would have to be smoothed out or teh bushing replaced.

Comment

The CTM's are fine to use, I would probably replace the bushing. Sorry to see the shafts went. I had Warns and never had a problem but from what Delta is saying I might not go that way again. Does Alloy USA make 44 shafts, I know they are real popular for 60 stuff. Glad you had a good time otherwise.

FM <><
                72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
                1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

I am no expert anymore (not that I was before) and have been out for a while, but a few years ago, superior, although very expensive were the first choice. Better materials and roller splines for extra strength. PM Mark Harris (welndmn) to see if they still are the #1 choice.
                  “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

It doesn't even look like there is any distortion on those ears. Very brittle break. I'd love to have some land like that, great pics.
                    67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
                    69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
                    69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
                    79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
                    67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

It is just my luck Complete Offroad is closed until 4-22-07.

The best price I can find for Alloy USA is $310 inner and outer, and for Superior $365 inner and outer, Warn's $325, Moser $294, Yukons $208. Any body know a better deal or suggestion?

Comment

Killer pic's, thanks for posting. I'm amazed at the different colors of rocks in the creek bed. Sorry about your axle shafts.
                        Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                        I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by highlander
                          It is just my luck Complete Offroad is closed until 4-22-07.

The best price I can find for Alloy USA is $310 inner and outer, and for Superior $365 inner and outer, Warn's $325, Moser $294, Yukons $208. Any body know a better deal or suggestion?

Call PORC (Performance Off Road Center) and talk to Alex. He will take care of you and has awesome pricing.

Comment

Call PORC (Performance Off Road Center) and talk to Alex. He will take care of you and has awesome pricing.
                            I still have his number from last time, there web page doesn't show much so I will try calling tomorrow. When I bought the Yukons they didn't have what I needed in stock. Do you think I should get the Yukons again or go for one of the higher priced options? If my axles break this easily now what's going to happen with the doubler?

Comment

I would talk to Alex about that. He is very knowledgeable and will steer you in the right direction. I'm not too familiar with the 1/2 ton D44 stuff. I certainly would expect more out of Yukon axles though. Something is definitely wrong when they break that easy. Hell, the stock spicer axle shafts are stronger than that!

Comment

Working...
                              X