My solo Bald Mtn Trip 3-31-07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My solo Bald Mtn Trip 3-31-07

So this morning I went skiing like I do most weekends and the snow wasn't so great. So I went home and grabbed the bronco and headed for Bald Mountain around noon. I went by myself (well my trusty lab came) so I din't take a lot of pictures. On the way in I passed a few mostly stock trucks (range rover and a Titan) on Rock creek Rd., which was mostly paved with patchs of shallow snow drifts. When I got to the trail head there was still a couple feet of snow in most places. I went about 100 yards and there was some kids who had a late 70's suburban baried and wrapped around two trees so I gave them a tug and went on my way. They were trying to get there Jeep out that had been stuck up there for a week, they had had just recovered there other jeep that was stuck up there for three days after trying to recover the first one. So I went on my way easily, when I got to the sandy creek area I passed a couple Toyotas who gave up and were on their way out. Then I passed a full size Blazer and another Toyota. When I got to the rocks past the creeks the snow got a little deeper around 2-3 feet and I was working it pretty hard to keeep moving so I took a break and aired the tires down to 6 and 5 PSI then it was smooth sailing all the way to the top. There is still snow on most of the trail but not nearly as deep as most years. So I spent some time at the top and enjoyed a sandwich and the view then headed down. When I got back to the point where I aired down I found the full size blazer with a tire blown of the bead so I did the friendly thing and helped him pull it off and reset the bead with starting fluid and my CO2 tank. They wer still heading for the top. I went another 100 yards and found the same kids who had the suburban I pulled out early but they were in the 49 Willy'z that was stuck for a week still trying to get up the trail. They managed to put there fan through the radiaor, so I helped them pull it out and I pinched off all the bad tubes. When they were putting it back in they managed to break the lower outlet clean out of the tank so all my work was wasted. So then I had the privilage of towing there Heep the rest of the way out the trail. They had a hard time steeirng and keeping it out of the ruts, but I got them out. They got pulled through a few trees and rocks, I wasn't stopping when they had it in such deep ruts. Half the time the tires weren't even spinning they were just being drug on the axles.
    All in all I had a good time, it was nice not having any problems myself for once. The tranny still runs a little warmer than I'd like, at times it got up to 230°. I will have a new larger cooler to go on soon.
    Here are few pics I took, the lake is Shaver Lake:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by highlander; 04-01-2007, 09:25 PM.
    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Dude I am so jealous. That looks like a blast. Glad you had a good time.

FM <><
    72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
    1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

Oh sure, now you go that I have my front end pulled out! Looks like a good time. It never fails that someone gets stuck up there and has to leave thier vehicle for a few weeks stuck in the snow. It happens every year. Last year I drove by a blue blazer at least half a dozen times that was stuck up there for most of the winter.

Looks like you spent most of your day saving Jeeps and Chevy's. I bet it was fun though!

Comment

After seeing pics like this I almost want to sell my rig. I sucks working on something as long as I have and not being able to wheel it yet. Guess I might have to pimp myself out for a couple extra dollars for more parts.
        Man I'm jealous!!

Those pics rock!!

Jeff
        Vacaville, Ca
        67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

X2... wood,really big freak'n WOOD
          72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
          BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
          RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Fantastic pics...thanks for sharing oo oo I did love the story as well
            1967, 302,C4, I DID it Not SOME FRIGGEN SHOP.

Comment

FRIGGIN SWEET PICS, wish I didnt have to drive an hour into the boonies to do an easy trip to the top of a mountain by myself. Especially a snow run like this.

Comment

So you going back up there next weekend to pull the Blazer out ? That pic looking over the lake is pretty cool.
                67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
                69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
                69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
                79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
                67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

So you going back up there next weekend to pull the Blazer out ? That pic looking over the lake is pretty cool.
                  When I left him he was good to go again, but they went further up the trail so who knows if he made back out.
                  Next weekend I am taking the Bronco to my fiancee's families ranch in the hills east of Coalinga (almost to Parkfield) I haven't been there yet but it sounds like there should be some good wheelin out there. Most of the people in the family have Jeeps that they take out there and a few that just leave them there all the time.
                  69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Working...
                  X