Mud-in-yer-eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mud-in-yer-eye

I took my 10yo son to Mud-in-yer-eye at Hollister Hills over the weekend. It's hosted by the Mountain Transit Authority Toyota club in San Jose. I had won the registration at last year's Cantina for the 'Con. I took the blue '73 trail Bronco. It had been almost 10 years since I remember being at Hollister. Lots has changed. We did the trail ride on Saturday. You followed the arrows and did it at your own pace. A few places would have easy and hard choices. I stayed easy since I had to drive home. They had a game where you drove through a twisty creek with a cup of water on the hood. You had to make it through without spilling.
    It was also my first trip on the new Pitbull all-terrain tires. It was nice driving on the freeway. I was able to hear myself think. I still have a shake above 60mph so I'm not sure if it's the tire balance or something else. I'm going to put the street tires from the '66 on it and see if the shake is still there.
    My steering gremlins persist. On the way down 101 I felt the steering get heavy. I pulled over at a strawberry stand on hw25 and found one of the ram-assist hoses loose and the pump empty. Tightened it up and filled it about half way. Made it to town with a grumbling pump and picked up more fluid.
    My son had been bugging me for a few weeks leading up to the event about letting him drive. The park has an easier obstacle course geared towards SUVs. We headed over and I moved the seat up as far as it would go. I put it in low-low-first gear and let him have at it. With a booster seat he could see over the hood but not reach the pedals. So we went without a booster so he could reach the brake pedal.
    Here's a picture of my son driving. I have some shaky video I'll post to youtube. My wife was surprised I got out of the Bronco and let him drive by himself.

Re: Mud-in-yer-eye

Awesome Gil, both my kids have learned to drive there.
    69, 7" lift,D-44 with air locker, 9" 35 spl full floater with a locker, 4-wheel disc, custom paint, one off custom mods, Hanson bumpers and side protection, 35's on Champion beadlocks.

Comment

Working...
    X