Airport Flats/Wentworth this weekend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airport Flats/Wentworth this weekend!

Just a last minute shout out to anyone wanting to help with the trail clearing and cleanup this weekend. There will be about 10 rigs from Dixon/Vacaville hanging at Airport Flats if you want to join us. I'm heading up first thing in the morning and won't be back until Sunday eve. Hope to meet some of you guys up there.

Jim
    70 Bronco, 5.0, ARB front 44, Detroit 9in Rear, Dana 20 w/ Rock Eaters, NP435, Beadlocked 36X13.5 IROXS

2001 F-250, triple gauges, ATO Tranny, 35 SST's, line-x, bully dogged!

Originally posted by slvregl
    Just a last minute shout out to anyone wanting to help with the trail clearing and cleanup this weekend. There will be about 10 rigs from Dixon/Vacaville hanging at Airport Flats if you want to join us. I'm heading up first thing in the morning and won't be back until Sunday eve. Hope to meet some of you guys up there.

Jim
    You guys have a blast and please post up a report and pics in the land use forum if you have them. I wish I could be there to clean with ya
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

We had a great weekend. The camp grounds were lightly attended and the the snow level was up at 7000 feet. We attempted both the lower road and upper road into Mckinstry(spelling?) lake. The lower road had not been blazed by any other rigs and we stopped for lunch about half way in. I wanted to continue on, but got out voted and we turned around. Saturday we tried the upper road. We followed the tracks of one rig all the way to the crest of the ridge. The owner of the rig was walking down the trail towards us and all I could think was that they were stuck and looking for help. Turns out, they lost a digital camera that we had picked up about 200 yards back on the trail. They had made it to the lake and were camping there for the weekend. The weather looked questionable that afternoon and we had an 8 month old passenger along with us, so we decided to have lunch and turn around. Then we started into Wentworth springs. We made it passed the bathrooms when I started hearing a loud clicking noise coming from my front end. I crawled under the rig and found that my lower u-joint on the front driveline was about to give way. I did not want to change the u-joint in the mud, so I turned around and went back to camp.

But....before we played we worked. We cleared two large trees on Girllie Creek trail that someone made bypasses around already. We used the fallen trees to block the by passes. Then we cleared Ice House Road of all the fallen trees and limbs hanging in the road way between Airport Flat and Wentworth. There were about 20 trees half way out in the road.

We talked to the rangers up there and they apprechiate the help and look forward to the continued help from 4 wheel drive clubs in the future.

I will post some pics of the tree removal and bypass closure when I get the pics e-mailed to me. I do not have a digital camera and had to rely on another rig to take the pics.
      70 Bronco, 5.0, ARB front 44, Detroit 9in Rear, Dana 20 w/ Rock Eaters, NP435, Beadlocked 36X13.5 IROXS

2001 F-250, triple gauges, ATO Tranny, 35 SST's, line-x, bully dogged!

Comment

It never ceases to amaze me that with all of the negative publicity now days, people are still not taking care of the trails. Good job guys. I look forward to some pics...
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Working...
        X