Bald Mtn closed till late may????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bald Mtn closed till late may????

Was gonna take a bronco pal from sac up to play around bald a bit today and was told on Saturday that bald was closed. I called the office in Prather and they confirmed that Bald Mtn trail was closed and probably would not reopen until late may due to the wet conditons and the damage 4wds would do to the resources up there during this time. What a load of BS. So heads up if you were planning a quick trip or trail test. I haven't been to the trailhead to confirm the gates are closed however so if anyone has more info than I do I'd happily eat my words. Also, over 150 Broncos in attendance yesterday at Fabulous Fords Forever! AMAZING!
    1969 351W, Np435-NP205 5.5"FRNT 5.5"Rear 2"Body, Geared 4.10 Locked, 35" BFG's

Re: Bald Mtn closed till late may????

Bald Mountain is still open year round, someone at the FS service gave you bad information. It is the only trail in the area open year round. Trails in are area are maintained by The Four Wheel Drive Club of Fresno for the best information check there site. However you can only get there from the Dinkey Creek Rd side via Rock Creek Rd. Rock Creek Rd from HWY 168 (at the Tamarack snow park) is closed until May. Although with this weather and little to no snow pack things should open up earlier this year.
    Last edited by highlander; 04-22-2013, 07:08 AM.
    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

It is closed now through May because of the possible damage to the trail during the snow melt. This is the first year that the FS has ever done this.
      Last edited by crawlin68; 04-22-2013, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
        It is closed now through May because of the possible damage to the trail during the snow melt. This is the first year that the FS has ever done this.
        Really, I am surprised it didn't make it to the club web page.
        69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

The roads/trails are closed due to snow melt errosion.

This is not per the US forest service but instead the new Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM). I spoke with the Prather US Forest Service Office and they confirmed that the Bald Mtn. area is closed right now. The "unimproved dirt roads" are closed from 4/01 to 5/20 and the "trails" are closed 4/01 to 5/30.

I had a friend camping off Rock Creek Road last weekend and the Rangers came and kicked him off. They were nice enough but still stayed there until he was packed up and driving away.

Here's a link to the new maps.
          http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sierra...telprdb5306169

Comment

Well according to the Forest Service page your right, sorry for the misinformation
            Last edited by highlander; 04-22-2013, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by highlander View Post
              Well according to the Forest Service page your right, sorry for the misinformation
              Have you ever been to Jose Basin or Blue Canyon? We are looking for a place to go wheel for the Bronco De Mayo get together coming up in a few weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                Have you ever been to Jose Basin or Blue Canyon? We are looking for a place to go wheel for the Bronco De Mayo get together coming up in a few weekends.
                I have been in Jose Basin a little bit, but I don't know my way around well. Haven't been in Blue Canyon except on the main Roads. I did see a large group of wheelers coming out of there yesterday. We probably should check the new maps for what is open, those things are painful to figure out!

Comment

Working...
                X