SBF upgraded heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBF upgraded heads

I want to upgrade my 351w's heads. The engine is a stock, recently rebuilt 1996. I will be putting it together with a new low-end-torque cam. For heads I am looking for input on a couple options:

IRON HEADS
    1. I currently have a recently rebuilt set of E7TE stock heads, I could port them....but they just aren't cool, I really don't want to use them....Cost: ~ $free
    2. I have a set of GT-40 iron heads on an Explorer 5.0 that would probably need rebuilt, but they aren't that cool either ....Cost: ~$350-500

ALUMINUM HEADS
    I am not looking for anything too radical, something like Edelbrock performers or AFR 185s. Something in the 170cc-190cc intake runner volume with ~1.90 inch intake valve. I want to avoid anything with a 2.02 inch intake valve because I think it might cause interference with the piston. I have also heard that the 2.02 intake valve might flow worse then 1.90 valves because the cylinder wall shrouds the valve more.

1. Cheap (~$500) Aluminum heads from ebay, I worry about them being durable and most of them come with 2.02 inch intake valves.

2. New Aluminum heads, ~$1000 Is it worth the money to save 50 lbs and gain a few HP over the GT40 heads?

I have been looking on Corral.net, I have not found what I am looking for yet. Does anyone have a set of aluminum heads they want to get rid of?
    Last edited by pippinmader; 03-12-2012, 12:03 PM.
    Build thread

Re: SBF upgraded heads

If I were building mine again, I would go with a set of AFR 185's or Edelbrocks! I sunk a bunch of money into my GT-40 iron heads and kick myself for doing it!

Comment

Honestly, I have never been impressed with factory Ford small block heads, even 1969 windsor heads didn't have the big valves or flow characteristic that aftermarket heads have now. Like Patrick said, save up for some good aftermarket heads. For at least the last 10 years or so, AFR has been one of the top companies in the cylinder head game. I have World product Iron Windsor Jr. heads that I'm plenty happy with but the AFR heads are definitely nice!
      SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I found a set of trick flow twisted wedge 170cc heads. It sounds like they are nice heads, does anyone have any experiance with them?

Also has anyone had any experiance with 2.02 inch valves on a stock f4te 351?
        Last edited by pippinmader; 03-12-2012, 08:53 PM.
        Build thread

Comment

No experience with trick flows but they are also really good heads for SBF engines!
          SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Working...
          X