Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim

I'm sorting through my trim. Most are new pieces and a couple old. What is the secret to polishing it up? I would like to make the old match the new as best as possible.
    1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Re: Trim

Originally posted by 14Justice View Post
    I'm sorting through my trim. Most are new pieces and a couple old. What is the secret to polishing it up? I would like to make the old match the new as best as possible.
    Ken said something about double xx fine steel wool???
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

This is not what I thought this thread was gonna be about

I wouldn't go 2x, but 4x steel wool is what I use to get the haze out of plastic and water spots out of glass. But then there is always a buffing wheel on a bench grinder and some polishing compound (this being the only true way to bring it back to factory luster)
      72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Originally posted by TRAILBOUND View Post

I wouldn't go 2x, but 4x steel wool is what I use to get the haze out of plastic and water spots out of glass. But then there is always a buffing wheel on a bench grinder and some polishing compound (this being the only true way to bring it back to factory luster)
        I use at least XXX steel wool to get all the grit and junk off and then a polish should make it shine.
        69, 7" lift,D-44 with air locker, 9" 35 spl full floater with a locker, 4-wheel disc, custom paint, one off custom mods, Hanson bumpers and side protection, 35's on Champion beadlocks.

Comment

Buffing wheel and the correct compound for the metal.
          Mark Harris
          71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by TRAILBOUND View Post

HAHA, I knew sopmeone would go there.
            1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

Most of the stock alum. bronco trim, is anodized. Getting it looking nice will go much faster if you strip it all first.
              Start with heavy duty oven cleaner to get the anodizing off. Spray and let bubble 5-10 min. then hose off, spray again...until it's all a nice flat sheen. You will be able to tell after the first spray with oven cleaner where there is still anodizing.
              Then sand with wet/dry sand paper to get the scratches out. Start as rough as you need depending on how bad the scratches and how nice you want the final product to be then work your way up to 2000. Then buffing wheel or at that point you can just use alum. polish on a rag. but the wheel with the proper compounds will get the nicest finish.
              For my trim I started with 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, then either buffing wheel or hand polish depending on the part.
              I found trying to skip too many paper steps in between just made for more work in the long run. Ie, going from 400 straight to 800 I had to spend 4 times longer with the 800 than going to 600 first. If you go in close order you get the scratches from the last paper out pretty quick.
              I tried going paper and buffing wheel without taking off the anodizing and it didn't work out nearly as well.
              Last edited by Sac '68 sport; 01-31-2012, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X