Power Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering

Whats the best setup for power steering for this 70..is there something i can get at Pick and Pull....steering wheel has alot of play in it...there is no way im driving it like that..i could always put manual steering but its prob not good with 35s on it..any suggestions would be appreciated...whats a good price for power steering setup..

Re: Power Steering

Got a stock PS box here on the '77 parts rig, worked great a couple of weeks ago
    68 Slightly modified
    67 LUBR once again
    61 Willy Wagon

Comment

You won't find anything at a junkyard that's a direct bolt-on. The closest are old Scout boxes, an original Bronco box of course, and the mid-'70's pickup and '78/'79 Bronco boxes.
      And of those, only the original EB box is a bolt-on without some modifications.

The full-size Ford box is the core of what's commonly called the "4x4x2" box and what we use in our "Extreme Duty" kit at WH.
      It has to be modified, but it's not so bad that most can't do it in their garage.
      The upside is that it's very beefy, reasonably quick-steering, and reasonably well-fitting (it's larger than a stock box) if you don't have other mods that might be in the way.

Another alternative that some have used are some Toyota and Nissan boxes. More compact, still reliable, bolt on relatively easy, are relatively inexpensive and easy to find, but take some adaptations of pitman arms and hose/pump fittings.

Of those, I would say the full-size Ford box could be the best and strongest. It's what I'm going to use, and what quite a few here already have I think. Nothing wrong with the import boxes really, but I tend to stay with the American and specifically Ford stuff when I can.

Paul
      Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
      www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
      68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

a 2wd box is almost a bolt on.

All you need is a new drag link and 2 joints for your steering shaft.

I had that setup on mine for years. I only switched it to the 4x4x2 because I got a great deal on a rebuilt box. Jim from WH still runs a 2wd on Nightmare.
        {o===o}
        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
        EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
        Originally posted by CityHick
        I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

If you can work a deal with Rick for his stock PS box its a good option. A PO retrofitted an EB box onto my Bronco before I bought it. I run a Saginaw "canned ham" box and in all but the worst offroad conditions (aired down 37" tires, front locker engaged) it works like a champ. I think its ratio is just about right and it gives just enough feedback on the road. I did reinforce the frame and make sure to keep the mounting bolts torqued good and tight. No problems yet.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

I used a box off a Nissan Pathfinder and it only required a little fudging of one hole to make it fit.
              Brad
              Chico, Ca.

Comment

I just put a seal kit in my 4x4x2 box and it was pretty easy and cheap. Seal kit was twenty bucks. Got the donor from pick and pull and found the 4x4 box on here. Cleaned up, new seals a little mounting work to the frame and good to go. Strong box and good upgrade. It's all about how comfortable you feel with your mechanical skills. If your unsure find a bolt on or ask for help
                sigpic68' 351W ,Nothing stock except transfer case:

Comment

i run the 2wd box...like it was said hell JIM wildhorses still runs his as well....ive been banging on mine now for around 12 yrs....never had a problem....switched to WH extreme PSC pump and kit and man what a difference....like said above all you need is the bracket from WH and redo your steering shaft and draglink....

Comment

How hard you gonna wheel this rig? 35s as big as you ever see yourself going with the tires?

-Stock setup with a decent cooler should do fine and is a bolt on.
                    -2wd F-100 box is strong as hell and pretty easy to adapt as said. My buddy runs this box ported w/ ram & it has worked great (took it on the 'Con run last June).
                    -4x4x2 is prolly the strongest and is also easy to do but a tad more involved than the F-100 box. I'd say "most" of us run this box and your chances of having a spare in the group are highest for a trail swap if needed (I'm building a spare to take along)...
                    -Nissan box is cheap and plentiful in junkyards and you could easily haul your own spare.

-Saginaw pumps (canned hams) are awesome pumps, cheap and plentiful in the junkyards. Vendors sell brackets & high press hoses for them. What I'd run if I wasn't running exploder serp.

Quite a few options and writeups out there depending on how much you want to do yourself/ spend. As usual, the more you do yourself, the less it "should" cost you... Assuming you do it RIGHT!
                    Last edited by Fungus232; 01-23-2012, 11:21 AM.
                    sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

I'm probably not going to wheel very hard..Mud and snow maybe..Maybe some wheeling in the mountains..Maybe someday get into the hardcore stuff but at this time probably not. I think im giong to pickup the stock parts from Broncrick. For now I would just like to get it setup so I can jump in and drive it around town and such. Thxs for all the info. What I really want is a LUBR lol, so if this bronco can get me closer to one of those than Im happy lol !! Not sure if people with LUBR are interested in trading for cut broncos...

Comment

Oppps....Sorry...I thought I was posting a new thread. Not at the bottom of an existing ont
                        Last edited by NOTPRETTY; 01-24-2012, 11:44 AM.
                        Don't worry about it...its mostly glass...will be fine...

I went to the woods to live deliberately...

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Ypur steering wheel play may not be just the steering box, alot of other factors come into play. Jack up the front end, have a friend work the wheel and check out things like loose bolts, steering rods steering shaft connections etc. before going out and buying s new box.

Comment

I have a 4x4x2 box ported for hydro assist. THe top bolt hole needs to be redrilled. I am using the same box but stock rotation with pitman arm forward because my front axle is forward 12inches. You can have the box, ram and lines for $400. I have 1 run on box. It was rebuilt and tapped by West Texas Off Road. The hoses were custom made to fit a Early Bronco. I paid $750 plus shipping and the cost of the PS box for this.
                            69 bronco, 72 bronco, 66 vert stang

Comment

has anyone had luck finding a used 78/79 Bronco or 76-79 F150 4X4 ps box? the pick n pulls dont have them
                              1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Comment

Working...
                              X