Twin sticks for the dana 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin sticks for the dana 20

I just put twin sticks on my tcase and was wondering what the pros and cons if any are for this. Do you guys run in rear h and front low or vice versa. Or do you have to be in in high or low with both at the same time.

Re: Twin sticks for the dana 20

you cannot have one in hi and the other in low as you will split the case wide open!!! both in hi or low together or being able to go rear neutral and front engaged is what twinstick'n is about, with the correct rail mods.
    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
    BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
    RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

The key is proper rail modifications (grinding specific spots down). Check out this site for details: http://www.wt4x4.net/tech/twinstick.htm

This being said with a t-shift D20 without rail mods you get everything but front low. Aside from the day I broke my D20 rear output I have yet to have a reason to run in front low but there's a first time for everything.

As for "accidentally" engaging one low/one high, you have to try to do that. You'll see with the shifters the two ranges are very far apart with neutral in the middle, so you'd notice if you had them crossed up well before doing any damage just by looking at them.

I do like the rear low option for the rare occasion when I'm pulling a stump or something though!
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

I use front low all time, front digs are very handy on the trail.
        But yes, you need to do the rail mods to take full advantage of it.
        Mark Harris
        71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I have also heard with rail modifications it can pop out of gear easier.

Comment

Do you need to do the rail mods on the J shift case or just the t case

Comment

With the J Shift all you have to do is cut the "flags" apart on the shift linkage
              with a cutoff wheel so they can work separately, no internal mods like on the T Shift.

Comment

If you don't have a selectable locker and need to make a tight turn, You can always pop the front end out of gear.

Thats what I do.
                {o===o}
                Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                Originally posted by CityHick
                I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Don’t want to beat a dead horse, as I have probably read every article on modifying the shift rails for the Dana 20 I can find online, however I have my transfer case out, and getting ready to start this project. I have read over both articles below several times. Is there a reason to take the transfer case (T Style) all apart including the idler gear if you can get to the set screws without removing those items?

http://wt4x4.net/tech/twinstick.htm
                  http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...ation-(T-shift)

If I do need to take out the idler gear and output shaft are there any other tricks or advice other than what is in these two articles you would like to share? Looks like I’m going to try and tackle this on Saturday as my Tranny is getting rebuilt.

Cheers! Time to go stare at the opened transfer case and probably over think this project even more!
                  72 Bronco, 89 5.0 EFI, NP435, Mustang Hydro, PSC Steering with Ram Assist, Dana 20 with Twin Sticks, Rear 9 inch with Detroit, Front Dana 44-Yukon Gold Joints with Detroit, 5.13 gears, 5.5" Coils up front, 4 Link rear with 2" body lift, 37" Toyos...Money Pit!

Comment

Jesse, you should have given me a little notice. I have a D20, Tera lo, and twinsticks sitting ready to be built. We could have had a tcase beer drinking party!
                    1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

That one is one of mine, and yes the idler gear needs to come out to get the shift forks off.
                      Mark Harris

Comment

Thanks Mark for that right up. Seen your name at the bottom of the article. I see you replaced the 1 front output shaft seal, 2 thrust washers, and 2 shift rail seals. Did you get those at the local parts house or where did you buy the kit from? I also notice the bigger kits replace the idler shaft. Im guessing that only needs to be replaced if there are bad scratches and nicks in it? Also is there any reason to replace the detent springs other if they seem to be warn out?
                        72 Bronco, 89 5.0 EFI, NP435, Mustang Hydro, PSC Steering with Ram Assist, Dana 20 with Twin Sticks, Rear 9 inch with Detroit, Front Dana 44-Yukon Gold Joints with Detroit, 5.13 gears, 5.5" Coils up front, 4 Link rear with 2" body lift, 37" Toyos...Money Pit!

Comment

I bought all the seals separately from Bay Shore truck equipment, it was cheaper then a whole kit, but I get everything at cost.
                          I'd replace the springs just because you're in there, I think JBG was the only person selling those.
                          I see no reason to replace the idler shaft unless, like you said, it's trashed.
                          Mark Harris

Comment

Jack O'Brien (Obrien's 4-wheel west) out of Roseville has a heavier rated detent spring kit. Might be quicker to give him a call vs. ordering from Michigan. His springs solved my issue of popping out of gear - but my detent springs were visibly shorter and a lot less springy so that explains my problem...

When I rebuilt my t-case the kit came with a new idler shaft and because it was there, I replaced it. Did I need to? Probably not.. but what the hell.
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

I take it O'Brien works out of his home? His address is residential and I called but had to leave a message. I will try him first. I live 10 minutes from there.

Comment

Working...
                              X