Death Wobble Re Visited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Wobble Re Visited

Got front shock hoops finished and front shocks mounted. Couldn't wait to test drive it and ran it down a frontage road. Nice not to be bouncing all over the place but as I suspected all along it DID NOT cure my death wobble. So tomorrow I'm taking my newly mounted tires down to double check balance. The only other thing it could be is alignment.
    SO, someone take me through the steps to align it within reasonable limits. I thought I had it pretty close but apparently not. I've already got toe in where it needs to be and I've got caster set where it needs to be so that only leaves the drag link. Someone said that it also needs to be "centered". I don't know why it would need to be centered and thought that was a bunch of balony but I'll give it a shot.
    sigpic68' 351W ,Nothing stock except transfer case:

Re: Death Wobble Re Visited

Originally posted by FLYINHIE View Post
    Got front shock hoops finished and front shocks mounted. Couldn't wait to test drive it and ran it down a frontage road. Nice not to be bouncing all over the place but as I suspected all along it DID NOT cure my death wobble. So tomorrow I'm taking my newly mounted tires down to double check balance. The only other thing it could be is alignment.
    SO, someone take me through the steps to align it within reasonable limits. I thought I had it pretty close but apparently not. I've already got toe in where it needs to be and I've got caster set where it needs to be so that only leaves the drag link. Someone said that it also needs to be "centered". I don't know why it would need to be centered and thought that was a bunch of balony but I'll give it a shot.
    Have you taken it to an alignment shop and gotten numbers? Without them it's a guessing game. If you have the data, post 'em up.

I doubt that the drag link is the issue, unless the rod ends are sloppy. Tires could be, though.

All slop out of rod ends, steering box, ball joints, etc?

I'd add wheel bearings to the mix of stuff to consider. I started noticing almost-onset of death wobble when hitting expansion joints at freeway speeds. Turned out my wheel bearings were heading south. Had over .04" end play on passenger side. Spec is less than .01". New bearings made the problem go away.
    1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
    I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Go to Big O in EDH. Make an appointment with Chris!!! . Great guys and very knowledgeable.. Do IT!!!!!!!
      KK6DAD
      70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

They are the ones who mounted em to begin with. I don't remember the guys name but he always takes care of me when I'm there. I've given them a lot of business since they opened. That's where I'm going again tomorrow. Do you know if they are any good with lifted vehicles? Was thinking about taking it to them for an alignment.

Let me reitterate: The entire front end is ALL new. New wheel bearing,new rods and rod ends, new ball joints, Steering box isn't new but has very little miles on it and worked fine before the FW conversion, new brackets(frame and diff), new shocks and solid as hell shock hoops, new springs, new radius arms and radius arm ends.

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy4zack View Post
          Go to Big O in EDH. Make an appointment with Chris!!! . Great guys and very knowledgeable.. Do IT!!!!!!!
          X2 get it alined and know its right. Some time you can't beat a man and his trade.
          Originally posted by TBS-POPS
          After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

They aligned mine with 37" ask for CHRIS.. They are all good but he is the Manager and a wheeler..
            KK6DAD
            70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

What time are you going in?
              KK6DAD
              70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

When you say death wobble you are talking about the front wheels turning left and right and you feel it through the steering? If so I would double check a few things to make sure there is no play. It sounds like you have new track bar mounts at both ends, if so make sure the bolts cannot move in the holes or sleeves of the bushings (if you have heim(s) make sure the bolt is the right size for it), even 1/16" of play will cause death wobble. If the bolt is the right size for the hole but the threads are all that go through the hole on one side you will have some play. Usually the best way to check is have someone turn the steering wheel back and fourth and see if the body moves side to side compared to the axle. If it does try to find out where the movement is. If you have frame drop bracket make sure it is tight and that the frame isn't flexing, the factory welds closing up the boxed frame on broncos aren't the best. Good luck!
                69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

I just went through this with my f350. Although it has leaves up front, it still has a trac bar. I pulled it and burned out the rotten rubber bushings and steel sleeves and replaced with poly bushings. No more death wobble and the steering feels tighter too. I didn't think trac bar was that important on a leaf sprung solid beam axle but it made a huge difference.

Also, I remember you said your front axle is not square with frame or rear or something like that. Make sure your C bushings are in the correct orientation to get proper castor (I think 6 to 8 degrees). If one is reversed or flipped or whatever it might account for the front end not being square.

Good luck
                  Last edited by brocbronc; 11-15-2011, 05:32 PM.
                  69 bronco, 72 bronco, 66 vert stang

Comment

Lets see a picture of your steering from the front of your Bronco. Jump up and down on your front bumper (to cycle the front suspension) and watch your steering wheel. Does it turn side to side as you are jumping up and down? Or does it just stay straight?

Comment

Highlander I've got heim all through the front end. I'll go through and check and make sure EVERYTHING is TIGHT. Trac bar frame and diff are solid welded(new).
                      And YES wheels turning left and right violently at about 35 mph. I'm not detecting any movement of the axle itself but it's hard to tell when your trying to get that pony back under control.

Daddy4zack: I'm not sure what time. I'm dealing with a recovering wife from spinal surgery and it was tough enough to get out and finish up the hoops, along with taking care of the house and a four year old. I'm gonna have to play it by ear.

I think alignment and re check balance is going to be my next move and I'll move on from there. I'll keep you posted. If anybody can think of something not mentioned let me know cas I'm drawing blanks at this point. Notice I didn't say shooting blanks.

Comment

Is this your current set up? http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/a...6&d=1310138976
                        Last edited by crawlin68; 11-15-2011, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Mine is almost the same Patrick and I get no wobble, unless the tires are unbalanced.
                          72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                          BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                          RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

similar. My drag link runs to a strap that wraps the tie rod. Refer to pics.
                            The rest of the pics are pics of the trac bar mounts and such. The first pic is wrong. I'm not set up that way, refer to the fourth pic and that's a pic of my tie rod.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by FLYINHIE; 11-15-2011, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Ran out and snapped a pic. This is my current config.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X