351 Windsor tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 351 Windsor tech

I finally did it. Not really needing more but wanting more I found a complete 351W roller donor to replace the 88 5.0 thats currently in my Bronco. Then, as luck would have it... I found another roller short block on a trade. The complete engine was in a 97 F250. When I got under the truck to losen the engine mount I noticed the Ford Reman tag from 2002. This block looks a little rough on the outside, lots of rust, probably because at one time it was a CalTrans truck but the coolant and oil looked great. The other block is really clean, other than some rust in 3 cylinders from sitting without heads. I think I will be able to get away with only going .010", just depends on what block I decide to use. This will be an over time build to keep the spending spike down, unless of course I decide to ask forgiveness instead of permission.

For my build I kind of want BIG CI. However, there is a budget so if it remains a 351 I am ok with that too. Main goal, more power and want this engine to be just as reliable as the somewhat tired 5.0 that powers the Bronco now. It will remain EFI, but I dont want to have to do huge injectors, big mass air and TB, tons of ECU work. I want to keep it pretty simple, most bang for the buck type of build.

So now for the Tech... thats where you guys with 351 knowledge come in.

To stroke or not to stroke, cam, heads, etc, etc, etc.
    Last edited by SonicDonkey; 10-29-2011, 03:23 PM.
    1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Re: 351 Windsor tech

What kind of power are you looking to make?
    I am pretty happy with my mild 351w, My Bronco is able to pull long grades in 4th, can cruise at over 70mph without even breaking a sweat on the highway, idles nice and low on the trail and has been reliable. That's at 250hp/350 ft-lbs.

This being said most late model Ford heads suck (including the ones that shipped with my crate motor). I know I could bump the torque and HP up with a cam and better flowing heads.

Download CamQuest 6 and start playing with different combinations - it'll get you started with ideas if nothing else:

http://www.compcams.com/downloads/register.asp
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

Stroking is all dependent on your budget.

J,

If it was me, I'd would simply throw a nasty stump pulling cam it, get the conversion lower intake so you can run a car upper and a simple 24lb inj with matched maf and call it a day.

Keep in mind that 99% of all go fast parts are for doing just that, going fast. If you reference flow numbers between aftermarket heads and stock heads below 2500 RPMs, you won't see a leaps and bounds difference. Same goes for intakes. Aftermarket parts are really designed for 4k+ rpm range.

I recommend 24#ers just because ford systems are under fueled IMO.
      Last edited by TRAILBOUND; 10-29-2011, 06:12 PM.
      72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Thinking about it today, the money spent on a stroker rotating assembly could easily be put into a set of nice heads instead. Add the good cam and I would still be on the lower end price wise of a fairly potent long block.

Justin, what are the stock injectors rated at?

Since I am currently speed density, I need to get my A9L and get converted to mass air at the same time. The change of both CID and Mass air will probably be like day and night to begin with.
        1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

I am running a 92 351 (junkyard motor) A9l comp. 19 lb. injectors matching Maf. BC Broncos adapter 5.0 HO upper. And RJM wire harnesses I am happy with it. Way better power / low end than I was getting out of my 5.0 Still need to hook up my speed sensor and I think it may get even better.
          Originally posted by TBS-POPS
          After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

I just did a 393 stroker out of a 94 351 and its fun to drive.I used a crank from power house I wanna say it was $250.It uses stock 351 rods witch are supposed to be good for 600hp.It uses 302 pistons but unless you get dished pistons the compression ratio is high.This was a cheap way to get a shit load of torque.I found some roush heads used on corral.net and this things a hand full.
            sigpicWhen I get home im gonna punch yo momma in the mouth

Comment

Originally posted by trash View Post
              I just did a 393 stroker out of a 94 351 and its fun to drive.I used a crank from power house I wanna say it was $250.It uses stock 351 rods witch are supposed to be good for 600hp.It uses 302 pistons but unless you get dished pistons the compression ratio is high.This was a cheap way to get a shit load of torque.I found some roush heads used on corral.net and this things a hand full.
              Just asking you used Stock Ford 351 rods. ? If you did and it works well that good to know would save some coin on a stroker. I would like to find a rolled and do a 393 myself.
              After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Yeah stock rods.

Comment

I would think that just a stock 393 would be more than enough power. And it will net you way more power than a set of heads.
                  Stock injectors are 19# which will not push 300hp (mathematically it's not enough fuel). And since you have to covert from SD to MA you might as well get 24#s which are good for up to almost 400hp.

Ben's engine sounds solid and you might not even need the heads. But definitely join corral.net. The mustang boys are always selling goodies.

Now you got me thinking about 393 stroker for my 351w.

If your goal is ridiculous power than I would do what Ben just said.

Comment

I AM running a 393w 10.3 to 1 probe pistons scat crank xe266hr comp cam 750 carb ford performance solutions heads. IT HAS A GOOD IDLE AT 700 RPM. THE CAM WOULD WORK GOOD IN A 351CI WITH A SET OF GOOD HEAD'S AND 9.5 TO 1 PISTONS.
                    Tony 69 bronco

Comment

I dont need rediculous power, just want to be satisfied with what I end up with. In reality, other than snow, Im pretty Ok with the power I have now. I can cruise really well in 4th, run 3rd most of the way up Ice House road, well the short steep and twisty parts, crawl/trail power is just fine. So Im leaning towards, stock crank and rods, .010 pistions (hoping that is all it needs), the right cam (still in the air), and GT40 or GT40P heads unless I find something better for a reasonable price. 5.8 Lower and HO upper intake. Keeping the cost out of stroke internals puts money back into fuel system and other necessary components.

Comment

If your gonna turn your crank its not that much more for a stroker crank and probably nothing more for dished 302 pistons.More torque never hurts.

http://www.enginekits.com/ek/RetailCatalog.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by trash View Post
                          If your gonna turn your crank its not that much more for a stroker crank and probably nothing more for dished 302 pistons.More torque never hurts.

All true points But with EFI you need to add the cost of a tune to get your money out of the motor.(power)

Comment

I've been looking into this since you posted it up ( I have a 351w)

The one thing I cant find is a direct 351w vs 393w comparison. It seems as if the only guys building 393s are going full boat race motors. My question is the 393 even worth it if its gonna remain in pretty much stock configuration. I need to put a call into to B&R to see what Brent (their main man) has to say.

My gut says that with the longer stroke of the 393, it would make more low end torque than a 351 and I would go this route rather than heads, your not gonna see much gain with any aftermarket heads (dynos are not real world) and Ive read enough about GT40 heads (after I bought my Ps) to believe that they are a waste of money. The power is really in your cam choice. Brian also makes a good point about tuning

Comment

I'm building a roller 351W right now. Will be awhile before it runs waiting on the rest of the rig to come together but all the parts are here & I'm going to finish assembly once we get back on the island.

'94 roller block
                              Stock crank, rods, pistons
                              Comp 266HR 5.0 cam
                              Edelbrock Performer RPM heads (2.02/ 1.60 valves)
                              Scorpion 1.6 ratio roller rockers
                              GT40 lightning lower
                              GT40 upper
                              24# injectors & MAF
                              A9L comp & RJM harness (eventual tune)

Should be a real nice motor & I shopped around & found good deals on the parts!
                              sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Working...
                              X