Front Axle Leak HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle Leak HELP

So I just put new gear oil(non synthetic) in my Dana 30 and the drivers side is pouring out gear oil like there's no seal at all. I tried the Lucas Oil stop leak and it did nothing to even slow it down. It did not leak at all before the oil was changed. The leak looks a lot like this

So how do I replace the seal(s) and what seals are needed? Anything else I should replace while this is getting done?
    1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Re: Front Axle Leak HELP

Your not going to like this answer, but you have to take all of the outers off, pull the axles out and take out the 3rd member to get to the inner axle seals. Replace the seals and reassemble everything. Not a hard job, just time consuming.

Comment

Or you could buy a dana 44.... or even a 60. HAHA My Dodge used to do that to me once in a while and like crawlin said it is just a time consuming job.
      They flex like a boneless hooker

Comment

I just did this job Monday! I started at 10a.m. had it completely taken apart by 12:30 and then back together by 3:30 and that was with help putting it back together. I was told to make sure when you take your hangers off for your carrier bearings to make sure they go back exactly the way they came off and re torque them 70fp. When you are installing the inner seals you can come in from the opposit axle housing with a long steel shaft or something to pound the seals in so you have a nice straight hit. Also use your axle nut special tool thing to put against the seal to hit it in it works perfect. Make sure you replace both seals. The seals part # is SKF12456 Napa has them if you have one close. Please any questions with this PM me i just did it and im fresh on it.
        Last edited by BroncRider; 11-17-2010, 06:37 AM.

Comment

The hub socket is the perfect diameter. Set the seal in place, put the hub socket against it bacwards (flat surface the ratchet attaches to) and gently tap it in with a rod thru the axle tube from the other side.
          1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Liek others have said. It is an easy job, just time consuming. Dont let the carrier scare you off.
            {o===o}
            Originally posted by TBS-POPS
            EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
            Originally posted by CityHick
            I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Well how did it go?

Comment

Well I broke my hand at work so its gonna be awhile
                1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Comment

Ouch, that's no good! here's to a speedy recovery.
                  Vacaville, Ca
                  67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

Been there. Done that.. Good news was I broke my left. Did screw up my golf swing though..........
                    Speedy recovery bud
                    1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Working...
                    X