poly gas tanks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poly gas tanks?

hey guys, I have a main and auxilary tank steel, and their old. There is alot of stuff in the bottom of the tanks that is sucking into the carb. I am looking at replacing them with poly tanks? any suggestions or concerns with poly tanks?
    Thanks, Mike

Re: poly gas tanks?

If youre wheeling with a poly tank, chances are youre going to hit and crack them.

I would say cleaning the metal tanks is better or buying new metal ones.
    {o===o}
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
    Originally posted by CityHick
    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by mlittlefair View Post
      hey guys, I have a main and auxilary tank steel, and their old. There is alot of stuff in the bottom of the tanks that is sucking into the carb. I am looking at replacing them with poly tanks? any suggestions or concerns with poly tanks?
      Thanks, Mike
      My 77 had a replacement poly side tank that was purchased at WH, I could not get it to stop leaking at the sending unit seal. Different sealers were used, torque sequences, etc. I finally gave up and replaced it with a metal tank...

Some old school Radiator shops still boil fuel tanks and can add sealers on the inside, you might try that... (But it can be the same price as a new tank when you get done)

Doug
      2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
      1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
      2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

I still have (gasp!) the original poly aux tank in mine as supplied by Ford in September, 1969 when my Bronco was built. With the factory skidplate under it, natch. I keep waiting for the thing to fail, which I suppose it will someday.

I guess I'm cheap enough that if your tanks aren't leaking I'd try cleaning them out before replacing them.
        1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

So, I have never done anything with gas tanks is there anything I need and can I do it myself to save some cash? Thank once again for all your help!
          Mike

Comment

I would try the easy way and pull the tanks out and slosh them around with gas inside and see if any loose debis comes out.

Maybe the sending unit filter is torn letting debis go through the fuel lines. Also I would add a large see through filter so you can see what is coming out of the tank.

Mine sat for 15 years with the fuel cap off. All i did was rinse it out with gas and add another; 2 total, fuel filter. Ran great until I smashed it in size about 1 gallon
            {o===o}
            Originally posted by TBS-POPS
            EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
            I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Working...
            X