Stock explorer 5.0 oil pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock explorer 5.0 oil pump

Anyone have an opinion on the stock oil pump in the explorer 5.0? First, is it the same as all 5.0 motors? And if so, when is it wise to bump up to a better pump? What would you recommend...if you think changing it is wise? Here's the motor...

89 Explorer 5.0 bone stock block bottom end
    AFR 165 heads
    Roller Rockers
    Ported GT40 Lower Intake matched to the heads
    90mm Lmaf sensor
    Stock Trottle body...65mm...may change this when I tune on dyno
    30# Injectors...a bit over kill, but tuning allows me to control them
    1.5" primary BBK shorty headers to 2.5" collector, ported for better flow
    Motor will be run with 1993 A9L mustang computer with a moates quaterhorse added and software to tune.

Hoping to get 340 at the crank, but since the dyno will be at the wheels...not sure. I don't know how this drivetrain will eat up the numbers.

What do you think this motor will make number wise?

Now...assume the above motor gets a stroker kit to 347. What numbers then?

Now...assume a supercharger with 6-8 Lbs of boost...but then It goes in a mustang drag car? Oh...and I'll need an aftermarket block to avoid a big boom.

I can't believe I'm thinking of selling the Bronco but I seriously am..
    Don't worry about it...its mostly glass...will be fine...

I went to the woods to live deliberately...

Carpe' Dium

Re: Stock explorer 5.0 oil pump

On an older 4x4 vehicle you will usually see a HP drop of 1/3 or more at the wheels! Ford 9" axles are extremely inefficient. As far as the oil pump, I've always used Melling high volume oil pumps on my SB Ford builds. The stock explorer pump is probably the same as other stock 5.0/5.8 pumps but the high volume one is just extra insurance!
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I've never heard of an engine build inspiring someone to sell their Bronco and build a Mustang before... but then again I sold my Mustang when I decided it was time to take my Bronco to the next level.

Running the kind of power you're talking about, I'd opt for a high volume pump myself. I've not heard of problems with the stock pumps, but extra insurance is always good, especially when building from the ground up. Overkill = good!
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
        On an older 4x4 vehicle you will usually see a HP drop of 1/3 or more at the wheels! Ford 9" axles are extremely inefficient. As far as the oil pump, I've always used Melling high volume oil pumps on my SB Ford builds. The stock explorer pump is probably the same as other stock 5.0/5.8 pumps but the high volume one is just extra insurance!
        It is the same pump, or at least it was when I checked (ford number crossed over, pick up different) on the 97 Explorer motor that went in my 75.
        2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
        1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
        2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

So the same pump is in the 5.8? Thinking I'd be fine then.
          Don't worry about it...its mostly glass...will be fine...

I went to the woods to live deliberately...

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Working...
          X