5.0 P heads...Header work arounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5.0 P heads...Header work arounds

Thought I'd post this in case any searches and might want this. There are headers called torquemonster headers made for the P heads. They crazy $$ at $698.00 set. Don't know if they work on the EB or not but they dyno'd an extra 18 hp I think. They have a site search "torquemoster headers" for info.
    Don't worry about it...its mostly glass...will be fine...

I went to the woods to live deliberately...

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Well now that I'm dumping the P heads and have the aluminum heads I'm going to run the Hedman 88408 headers. Anyone using them. Feedback? I got the info to buy them from the classic bronco site. They say the clear everything great. I found a set on CL for...$250.00 brand new. They are on the way. I hope I can find a 02 sensor location. The collector is small.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-88408/

Carpe' Dium

Comment

I picked up the collectors with bungs from Summit, easier then drill, weld. But mine are coated also.
        68 Slightly modified
        67 LUBR once again
        61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by NOTPRETTY View Post
          Well now that I'm dumping the P heads and have the aluminum heads I'm going to run the Hedman 88408 headers. Anyone using them. Feedback? I got the info to buy them from the classic bronco site. They say the clear everything great. I found a set on CL for...$250.00 brand new. They are on the way. I hope I can find a 02 sensor location. The collector is small.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-88408/

Put the O2 sensors a few inches downstream of the collectors, in the exhaust tubes. That's exactly how it's done on the WH headers. They are supplied with stubs containing the bungs. Mine have been working fine that way for 8 years. From the pix it looks like you could fit some on the supplied stubs.

Just looked at the link. Even at full retail those look like a bargain. 14 ga. steel, nice. One of the reasons I always liked the WH shorties. Mine weigh as much as the cast iron manifolds. So they definitely clear the stock Bronco clutch linkage?
          Last edited by Lars; 10-30-2010, 09:05 AM. Reason: added header comment at end
          1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
          I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Apparently so. I don't have them yet to confirm. Will whe I can

Carpe' Dium

Comment

I received the headers in the mail today and they look great. I was wondering...I posted on the mustang forums my overall build and they seem to think these headers will be very restrictive to flow especially since I have a two into one muffler with a single 3" exhaust. I don't see that being too restrictive, but they say I want 1 5/8 atleast and double exhaust. I just don't see too many ponies being lost with my exhaust. At some point you can only go as big as the bolt holes allow, right? What do you all think?

Marlon

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Originally posted by NOTPRETTY View Post
                I received the headers in the mail today and they look great. I was wondering...I posted on the mustang forums my overall build and they seem to think these headers will be very restrictive to flow especially since I have a two into one muffler with a single 3" exhaust. I don't see that being too restrictive, but they say I want 1 5/8 atleast and double exhaust. I just don't see too many ponies being lost with my exhaust. At some point you can only go as big as the bolt holes allow, right? What do you all think?

Marlon
                Opinions are like a$$hole$... ask for dyno data to back that up. I'm no engine builder or racer, and there are plenty with more experience than me who may prove me wrong, but I couldn't tell any difference with the butt dyno when I went from a dual system to a single 3 (my WH headers have 1.5" primaries). But then I doubt I'm making more than 250 HP or so.
                1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

I'm sure that they have a point and they probably do see the results in the 1/4 mile times. But from a design standpoint it is pretty tough to get more tube to fit between the bolt hole without reshaping the tube into a figure eight where the tube meet the flange. I can take a bur to these a free up some more flow. But they say you can get 1 3/4" headers...I don't see the fitting without some real creativity by the manufacturer. The more I look at the limitations we all face as EB owners in shorty header choices I'm tempted to fab some up with mandrel tubing and a 3/8" flange. I'd make all tacked and then chech into costs of Tig welding up. I know it would be slot of filler rod and time so it's probably not cheap. Some of thoughs rods are not cheap.

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Don't forget they are not restricted by fit ment either.
                    I know for a fact a single 3 inch out will out flow dual 2 inch pipes, maybe even dual 2.25, but I forget that one.
                    I hate 2 into one mufflers, I would y it in before the muffler.
                    Mark Harris
                    71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Hate 2 into 1... what's the reasoning...turbulence? Better...what?

Carpe' Dium

Comment

I think he meant where the muffler has two inlets and one outlet. Not that he dislikes a 2-into-1 system altogether.
                        I could be wrong though, but that's what I got from his statement.

I'd still be interested to hear why the dislike, but it might as much a convenience or looks factor, rather than just a performance issue.

That about right Mark?

Paul
                        Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                        www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                        68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

He does not like what the muffler looks like....? It's a muffler, not your date. Who the hell cares what a muffler looks like on a crawler...seriously, I don't think that's what he meant. Maybe so...Mark?
                          Last edited by NOTPRETTY; 11-07-2010, 09:40 PM.

Carpe' Dium

Comment

The 2 into one mufflers IMO are junk.
                            Everyone I've seen is always such a compromise. They Y into muffler and leave almost no room for proper baffles or just jam it full of packing.
                            I was trying to say it's a better option to Y it in before the muffler.
                            I had a Y pipe, but needed the room back, so now it's just Y'd in below the passenger header.
                            Mark Harris
                            71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Working...
                            X