Why is my 5.0 running too hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Broncrick
    You can fab up a cheap one to test, get a 1 liter soda bottle, make sure the hose goes most of the down. After a few engine cycles you'll hopefully see a difference by having to add H20 to the bottle

Rick-

Great idea. That would be an inexpensive test.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncrick
      You can fab up a cheap one to test, get a 1 liter soda bottle, make sure the hose goes most of the down. After a few engine cycles you'll hopefully see a difference by having to add H20 to the bottle

Rick-

Hey Rick,

Would the soda bottle need to be air tight? Or as long as the hose goes to the bottom it will work.

Comment

For a test I don't think it needs to be air tight as long as the hose is in the coolant so it can draw the water back into the rad.

Comment

Ok cool. I am going to give it try tonight when I get home. I'll let ya'll know what happens. I've got my fingers crossed.

Comment

For a cheap overflow bottle/windsheild wiper tank, find the combo unit out of.... say...90s Fseries and Explorers. This is what I am using.

Comment

Wait a minute!! Cant you just Connect the hose to the lower port of your catch can?? Leave the valve open and let it recurculate??? Damn It I bought one of these cans also... Mine is Red!!

Aaron
              KK6DAD
              70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

I just took the top off the catch can and epoxy’d a piece of tubing to it. Started it up and let it idle until the t-stat opened. Then let it run for a while, topped off the fluid and went for a drive. It ran right at 195-200* no matter how hard I drove it. It even pulled more fluid out of the overflow bottle back into the radiator. Major thanks to everyone for helping me figure this one out. I never would have thought to look inside the bottle to see if there was a tube in there or not. I just assumed that there was one. Thanks again!
                Attached Files

Comment

Cool But it someone were to hook up the outflow to the bottom of the can would it work the same way?? Or do I need to fab a hose the same way??
                  KK6DAD
                  70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Glad it was that easy, and cheap!

And to answer your question, it should not be sealed! if the engine overheats (blown gasket lets say) the cap would open at its psi (saving the hoses/rad) and spew the H2o and gasses to the overflow. A small hole at the top lets the extra out without exploding.

Rick-
                    Last edited by Broncrick; 03-08-2006, 05:20 AM.
                    68 Slightly modified
                    67 LUBR once again
                    61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Yeah, there is a hole drilled in the top of the bottle just for that reason. You can just see it in the picture.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Glad it got fixed. I learned something........I want on overflow bottle like that one. Summit racing? I'll be ordering one of those when the time comes. It's a good learning tool to try to help diagnose a problem, and then in a day or two find out what it was.

Galen
                        Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                        I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 720Racer
                          Glad it got fixed. I learned something........I want on overflow bottle like that one. Summit racing? I'll be ordering one of those when the time comes. It's a good learning tool to try to help diagnose a problem, and then in a day or two find out what it was.

Galen

Yeah, all of you guys and this site are awesome!

Comment

Working...
                          X