Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How important are Beadlocks for the Rubicon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How important are Beadlocks for the Rubicon?

How important are Beadlocks when trying the Rubicon? I am getting side tracked again with wanting some beadlocks for the trail. I should focus my efforts and $$$ to the cage...but cmon How important are Beadlocks? Am I just going to beat the crap out of my rims and keep losing beads on my current wheels?
    Thanks,
    Roy H.
    1967, 302,C4, I DID it Not SOME FRIGGEN SHOP.

Toying with the idea of these
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445539
    Is there a better option out there?

Comment

I have have never ran beadlocks...I have popped a few beads though and they were always popped in the snow at 3psi. On the con you will run 10-12psi. If you have an 8" rim on a 12.5" wide tire you will be hard pressed to pop a bead. However, if you already have steel wheels, just get some rock stomper weld on bead locks and you'll be happy for 80 bucks a wheel. You just need to find a buddy to weld them if you do not have a welder. Many of us here would take care of that for you I'm sure...
      “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

What do you guys think of THESE Good? Bad? Overkill? Anybody know how much they want for them? I haven't called yet.

Comment

I ran the con last year with my 33's and no beadlocks. I did well and did not pop any beads.
          1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

Beadlocks are not needed. They're nice to have if you've got the money. I have heard a lot of good things about these beadlock screws from inchworm. There are quite a few locals running them with good success. I'll probably give them a try soon also. These allow you to lock the inside and outside bead. Most beadlock only help with the outside bead.

Beadlock Screws

I'm pretty sure they were in use for this high speed snow run through the little sluice.

Aggro in the box
            71 Trail Bronco, 351w, 435, 37's, Detroit in back, ARB upfront with excessive trail souvenirs.

Comment

I did a lot of reading on those beadlock screws. They seam to work ok, but I just don't like the idea of having all of those sharp objects inside my tires. Especially when aired way way down. Just my .02.

Comment

They have been using bead lock screws for years on the drag strip. My buddy uses them on his trial bike as well. FOr me I will use the full ring rock stompers on the out side and if I have an issue on the inner bead I might use the screws...

Patrick, those hummer bead locks are only over kill if they overly kill your budget... they are sweet!
                “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

here's mu 2 cents...
                  You dont need bead locks on the Con in the summer. I run the con with 35" on 15x10 at 15 to 20lbs. I actually start at 20 and by walker or spider air is down to 15 because the tire cooled from the highway run.

I only use beadlocks in the snow or where i want to travel on real soft stuff were traction is needed. When i run the snow I'm at 2 or 3lbs.

Now the fun part. if you blow a bead use starting fluid to reseat the bead.

If i was to rethink the purchase of beadlocks I would go with something like those kevlar bladders that go inside the tire and inflate to hold the beads to the rim. Its like the run flats that the humvee uses but these are inflatable and can be used on DOT rims. Which will keep the cops off your back and they will balance.
                  70 Bronco with extras; 351W TBI,C-4, D20, HP44 locked w/ 4.56, locked 9" w/31spline, 35 tires, pb 4w-disc, on a 5.5 lift with WAH and Rockers.

Comment

I called him today. $225 per rim. Not too bad I suppose. I really like them! You can do any custom back spacing because he has to re-center the rim anyway. Double beadlock and a lot of tire sizes to choose from with the 16.5 rim. Pretty sweet.

[QUOTE=Patrick, those hummer bead locks are only over kill if they overly kill your budget... they are sweet![/QUOTE]

Comment

I got a 4x4 mag yesterday with a Green FJ on the front...they had an article about a different type of beadlock. It was like a run flat internal beadlock. Looked interesting depending how much they cost. Ill repost tonight with the name. Benefit was no pinching by the ring if you air all the way down.

Comment

Originally posted by raharr3
                        I got a 4x4 mag yesterday with a Green FJ on the front...they had an article about a different type of beadlock. It was like a run flat internal beadlock. Looked interesting depending how much they cost. Ill repost tonight with the name. Benefit was no pinching by the ring if you air all the way down.
                        Those are the Staun beedlock.. $ 140.00 and up... each..
                        KK6DAD
                        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Yeah the Stauns are an internal inner tube that inflates inside the tire to put pressure on both the inner and outer beads. However they have had some trouble with chaffing, then the inner tube breaks down and leaks.

Comment

Yep those are indeed the ones I am speaking of...damn I was hoping they would be a good option. I wonder if they have redesigned them to fix the problems. Ill do some searches tonight to find out more about these little suckers.

Comment

Run a search on Pirate. There is a lot of good info on there. I haven't done any reading on them lately, maybe they have fixed the problem now.

Originally posted by raharr3
                              Yep those are indeed the ones I am speaking of...damn I was hoping they would be a good option. I wonder if they have redesigned them to fix the problems. Ill do some searches tonight to find out more about these little suckers.

Comment

Working...
                              X