Which radiator cap/T-stat for Mustang Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which radiator cap/T-stat for Mustang Engine

I'm running a 92 mustang 5.0 with the stock bronco radiator. The original bronco 302 called for a 13 lbs. radiator cap, the mustang used a 16 lbs. radiator cap. Should I be running the 16 lbs cap? What are you guys running for the t-stat as well? Stock is 195*.

Re: Which radiator cap/T-stat for Mustang Engine

Originally posted by tim View Post
    I'm running a 92 mustang 5.0 with the stock bronco radiator. The original bronco 302 called for a 13 lbs. radiator cap, the mustang used a 16 lbs. radiator cap. Should I be running the 16 lbs cap? What are you guys running for the t-stat as well? Stock is 195*.
    Tim, the higher the pressure cap you run will change (raise) the boiling point of the anti-freeze mix... I am running a 15 lb cap on my 1990 roller motor without issue...

Doug
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

I have a 16 lb. cap (Ron Davis aluminum radiator) and a 180 degree t-stat. I started with a 195 t-stat but it ran too hot, so I switched to the 180.

Comment

Thanks Guys.

Comment

Running a cooler thermostat could cause your ECM to think the engine is still not warmed up, which will keep it running rich therefore killing your power and fuel economy. As far as the cap, my bronco has the stock cap and 91 EFI on the stock short block. I didn't know that the mustangs had a higher pressure cap. But now I am curious what the difference would be....
          SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Working...
          X