Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insulate Fuel Line - Good Idea or not???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulate Fuel Line - Good Idea or not???

I am getting ready to run a metallic fuel line from the mechanical fuel pump up to my stock 2 BBL factory 302. my questions:
    1) Where does vapor lock occur? Does it occur in the engine compartment due to heat or does it happen further back towards the tank?
    2) Is it a good idea to try and insulate the fuel line from the pump up to the carb to prevent engine heat from heating the fuel?
    3) What is the best type of fuel filter to use? Stock filter screws into the carb body type vs. an aftermarket in-line?
    4) How do you solve vapor lock? How do you know you have it?
    Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Re: Insulate Fuel Line - Good Idea or not???

Originally posted by Spaceburger View Post
    I am getting ready to run a metallic fuel line from the mechanical fuel pump up to my stock 2 BBL factory 302. my questions:
    1) Where does vapor lock occur? Does it occur in the engine compartment due to heat or does it happen further back towards the tank?
    2) Is it a good idea to try and insulate the fuel line from the pump up to the carb to prevent engine heat from heating the fuel?
    3) What is the best type of fuel filter to use? Stock filter screws into the carb body type vs. an aftermarket in-line?
    4) How do you solve vapor lock? How do you know you have it?
    vapor lock can occur anywhere the fuel line can get enought heat to vaporize the fuel in the line and keep the pump from drawing liquid or filling the bowl. this usually occurs rearward of the fuel pump causing suction loss. the best cure is a low pressure electric pump mounted near the fuel tank and a larger supply line from tank to pump. the gm chassis motorhomes i've worked on had 1/2 inch supply lines [steel] necked to 3/8 near the pump with a 4 psi pusher and the problem wouln't reoccur once that was done. i would ron both a large aftermarket filter to get the big rocks before the pump and leave the small screwin for smaller junk at the carb. just my ramblings on the day before furlough friday!
    6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

Great Info Fordfreak! Thank you. that explains everything. I am going to add a pump back by the tank and then run a regulator just before the fuel pump itself. I think I am going to leave the fuel tube from pump to carb bare steel or cover it in white heat shrink if I have that size.

Comment

I always ran and still do run rubber line from fuel pump to carb. The steel line would always seem to cause vapor lock when running in the desert at 125* heat and seems the steel would always find something to rub on and leak!! I hate gas fires under the hood!!
        72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
        BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
        RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS View Post
          I always ran and still do run rubber line from fuel pump to carb. The steel line would always seem to cause vapor lock when running in the desert at 125* heat and seems the steel would always find something to rub on and leak!! I hate gas fires under the hood!!
          x2 on fires. i ran braided ss all the way on my efi swap with a huge fram cartridge filt by the rf body mount. checked it for leaks for a week.
          6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

Great Info Fordfreak! Thank you. that explains everything. I am going to add a pump back by the tank and then run a regulator just before the fuel pump itself. I think I am going to leave the fuel tube from pump to carb bare steel or cover it in white heat shrink if I have that size.
            what carb model are you running? does it have a operational bowl vent?

Comment

Originally posted by Fordfreak View Post
              what carb model are you running? does it have a operational bowl vent?
              wow, good question...what do I need to know about carb venting?
              right now its a stock ford 2bbl that came with the 74 302

Comment

wow, good question...what do I need to know about carb venting?
                right now its a stock ford 2bbl that came with the 74 302
                some of the motorcraft/autolite carbs had a hot idle compensator [lever with a little rubber dingus on it] that opened at idle and closed with throttle opening on the top of the bowl. if it's that style it needs to be operational. i'll try and find a pic.

Comment

I overhauled many Autolite carbs in my younger days and I know exactly what you are refering to. This carb looks rough, choke linkage is missing, but it runs good.

Comment

Working...
                  X